Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Technically, you can keep a platform around for a while, as long as you keep details updated...
Not with electrification you can't. Sure you can bolt batteries into the trunk, but if you want a competitive vehicle, it needs to be designed to hold batteries from the start.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Technically, you can keep a platform around for a while, as long as you keep details updated; There are many examples, GM probably occasionally overdid that, the Ford Fox platform wasn't that fresh as well at the end, but e.g. the Golf Mk. 4 could trace it's roots back to the Mk. 1, with only the Mk. 5 being the first truly new platform (and never was the Golf regarded outdated), and the Mk. 4 still soldiers on in various Chinese VWs, and probably will for another 10 years.

That said, the Focus is still far form being overweight (like the Delta II based Opel Astra was), and has still among - if not the - best handling in it's segment (the usual culprits for investing in an all new PF), and rear legroom can be achieved by a simple stretch in wheelbase. Where Ford will need work is crash safety - small overlap is not a strength of the current Focus platform - and integration of batteries. Given how it is stressed that there will be several Hybrids in both the Focus and Escape/Kuga (btw., I wouldn't mind the Escape name for Europe as well, just sounds better and fits the "E" names of the rest of CUVs), I guess it is either heavily reworked to a level where you can say "all new", or actually it is all new.
The current Focus' main packaging weakness isn't the interior, it's the cargo area. The hatchback offers only 316 litres of space (11.2cu ft) under the hatch, which is well off the pace of its main rivals, at least in Europe. Even some cars from the class below, such as the new Volkswagen Polo and SEAT Ibiza offer considerably more space.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:10 AM

It's just poor use of space in general: front, rear, trunk - pick what is most important to you and you have the main weakness. There are cars in this class shorter around 10cm which are better in all those areas.

Pricing is also not very competitive at least in Europe, when you want it loaded it becomes one of the most expensive choices while you still get lots of typical cheapish looking Ford details. Engines are not that great either, so really the only positive thing is handling.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
It's just poor use of space in general: front, rear, trunk - pick what is most important to you and you have the main weakness. There are cars in this class shorter around 10cm which are better in all those areas.

Pricing is also not very competitive at least in Europe, when you want it loaded it becomes one of the most expensive choices while you still get lots of typical cheapish looking Ford details. Engines are not that great either, so really the only positive thing is handling.
In the USA, the Focus II was a low-budget remake for Focus I so by the time Focus III came, the latter was a huge leap, BUT in the intervening 8 years, even by American small-car expectations the Focus III is long-in-tooth.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Leaked and looking good:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/638257/...-wagon-leaked/
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
Looking good, but IMO quite Mazda like in these shots from the rear (not that looking like a Mazda is a bad thing). Actually the stance of the car looks quite different, much longer wheelbase and wider tracks, and the proportions seem different, I guess this could mean an all new platform as well.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Raconteur

Kia called and they want their Forte hatchback back.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:15 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

The hatch looks great iMO! Such a relief! And the wagon too, gorgeous. I don't see KIA or Mazda as much as Volvo and a bit of Mercedes GLA in its intention.

Here is the sedan too (this one does remind me of Mazda from this angle)

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2019-focus_sedan/

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
The hatch looks great iMO! Such a relief! And the wagon too, gorgeous. I don't see KIA or Mazda as much as Volvo and a bit of Mercedes GLA in its intention.

Here is the sedan too (this one does remind me of Mazda from this angle)

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2019-focus_sedan/
Actually I think that is an official release and would justify a New Car thread. Just sayin' ;)

That said, I agree, it's not a direct copy or anything, and I meant the Mazda analogy more as a compliment (after all IMO Mazda are among the best looking bread and butter brands, and often shame so called premium makers in and outside). Yes, there is a bit of Kia too, and there are hints of Volvo or GLA (being a cut price GLA could be a good thing though), altogether I think it looks a bit generic, but not bad. The Mk. 1 was a flamboyant car, the Mk. 2 a refined - some say bland - iteration oif that, the Mk. 23 again was a bit more dramatic, this again is a more evolutionary step. I guess this will be Ford's rhythm. At least it looks new enough and not just aa "facelift at the second glance like" new model that have become quite fashionable in Germany, or at subaru....
Old 04-10-2018, 01:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
Seen from the side or rear, the hatch and the BMW x2 look like siblings.