Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

consumption on that 1.5T isnt as great as some other offerings, what a bloody tiny engine for such a car

Truth.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
consumption on that 1.5T isnt as great as some other offerings, what a bloody tiny engine for such a car
Good point, mileage is usually an important criteria for the regular family sedan buyer.
Looking up fuel consumption comparisons, the new Accord seems to be above average if not class leading. As such it probably doesn't make it a particularly big factor for lack of sales.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?...39294&id=38663
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
what a bloody tiny engine for such a car
In Europe, you can get the Ford Mondeo/Fusion with the 1.0 EcoBoost 3 cylinder with a whopping 125hp. Compared to that, the Accord is a big block, with 50% more displacement and 33% more cylinders ;)

Mind you though, a base BMW 3 series in Europe also has exactly as many cylinders as it's name suggests, the 1.5 3 banger form a Mini One. Thank you unrealistic government cycle testing.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Compared to other similar sized sedans in the states, the accord has the tiny one. And I do believe that the Camry with it's largeblock 2.5L NA 4 gets better consumption, others too most likely. And it does, based on ElementW's link; a larger engine expending less effort to accomplish the same task.

Nevertheless, it might be a factor in the Accord's less brisk sales especially coupled to higher prices and less incentives.

Camry sales will plunge at some point, maybe coinciding with the new, more robust Rav-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Thank you unrealistic government cycle testing.
This is why i'm Libertarian :).

Truth.

Last edited by Naga Royal Guard; 04-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
And I do believe that the Camry with it's largeblock 2.5L NA 4 gets better consumption, others too most likely.
As you say, larger, less stressed engines usually have better real life consumption than those overly boosted small capacity "dyno testing wonders". At the absolute low end, they have a higher minimum consumption (usually this is the window where - at least in Europe - these cycle tests are done), but the more you push the engine, the higher the increase at smaller ones is, and they quickly surpass a larger (and/or NA) one; And real life driving is usually a lot more on the "heavy accelerator" side....
Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
As you say, larger, less stressed engines usually have better real life consumption than those overly boosted small capacity "dyno testing wonders".....
That's definitely true of the 2.5 Fusion vs the 1.5 Ecoboost.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I parked next to one of the new ones yesterday....

Its awful. So complelely wrong. The proportions are way off. The hood is too long, Must be tons of wasted space under there. I despise the half sedan half hatchback tail.

Its like the GM committee cars from long ago....One committee gets the engine, the next the passenger cell the third the trunk, the fourth gets to put it together.

Last edited by boston; 08-22-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post

Its awful. So complelely wrong. The proportions are way off. The hood is too long, Must be tons of wasted space under there. I despite the half sedan half hatchback tail.

Its like the GM committee cars from long ago....One committee gets the engine, the next the passenger cell the third the trunk, the fourth gets to put it together.
It could clean up really well though. Get rid of the chrome unibrow that looks like a bad collision repair and make the face clean and simple. The tail lights are messy for the sake of being messy. Give it lights that span the width of the tail and it would be so much nicer. This will be like the 5th generation Accord (94-97) that was so horrible looking that it got a full replacement.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It could clean up really well though.
Yes and no, IMHO. Certainly simplifying the tacky detailing would help, but I simply think that the coupe sedan look just doesn't work for a FWD (esp when trying to keep enough interior space to make it relatively spacious and practical). I think the Accord does a decent job of combining both, but I think FWD works well in 3-sedan or hatchback shapes (unless you can pull a Volvo and get close to RWD proportions).
Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 AM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post

Its awful. So complelely wrong. The proportions are way off. The hood is too long, Must be tons of wasted space under there. I despite the half sedan half hatchback tail.

Disagree completely... proportions are gorgeous imo. Long hoods are sexy. Swooping roof should be a hatch, but oh well?

I think the blacked out brow on the Sport remedies the weirdness with the front.

I wish I saw more of them on the road because I think the blow the rest of the mid-sizers out of the water (save the Mazda 6). If I have to see another grotesque irrational Camry mug....