Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

As with the sedan, I will have a very hard time telling this apart form the previous car. like there, the base shape is good, mostly because it is more or less unchanged from before, the added details like too many creases here and there or fake exhausts don't improve anything, but also don't ruin it visually.

Also interesting to see that at the A6 (both current resp. soon old and the new model) Audi manages to avoid overly FWD proportions yet the larger, more expensive A8 has all the proportional grace of a 1990ies GM W-body....
Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Obviously it's still recognizable as A6 at the first glance, but wider rear wheel arches and more sloping roof line makes it easier to tell apart than the last two generations from one another.
IMO it's a very good execution - the changes are subtle, but recognizable and it avoids ugly detailing (minus the fake exhausts).

Would like to see it live parked next to V90 to decide which I like the most from the design perspective in this segment.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Would like to see it live parked next to V90 to decide which I like the most from the design perspective in this segment.
Certainly those two will be the best looking estates in that segment, there is very little that I find attractive about the current 5 series, and the E-Class looks weirdly flat/wide and too long at the back, less elegant than the "similar at first glance" C-Class. The Jaguar XF is better in estate shape than the very dull sedan, but still is nothing that makes your head turn.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
...Would like to see it live parked next to V90 to decide which I like the most from the design perspective in this segment.
It's not even a close contest. Volvo hands down. The A6 is dullness upon dullness i.e. the estate is as boring to look at as an A6 sedan. The V90 is very handsome and transcends the ugly duckling look of the S90.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Avant:

Looks good, much better than 5-series.
agreed, but only in top spec form. as a base model this is terrible, whereas the 5 series is still passable.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
agreed, but only in top spec form. as a base model this is terrible, whereas the 5 series is still passable.
I'm yet to see even the pics of the base new A6 (sedan or wagon), but base 5 series definitely is terrible.

Sad truth is most of the European cars look like s*** in their base trim(sold in Europe).
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It's not even a close contest. Volvo hands down. The A6 is dullness upon dullness i.e. the estate is as boring to look at as an A6 sedan. The V90 is very handsome and transcends the ugly duckling look of the S90.
Interesting take. I actually think the A6 looks a bit like the V90, esp in the steeply raked backlight and the tailights.

I've been seeing a few more S90s around where I live. Quite a handsome car, IMHO. Curiously, the V90, while looking very long and elegant, somehow also gives the impression that it's smaller the S90.... A nice styling trick, IMHO.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Fully agree - and the dashboard of the new A6 is a big step back compared to the old, at least design wise. the dash in the volvo is beautiful.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysnkisses View Post
Fully agree - and the dashboard of the new A6 is a big step back compared to the old, at least design wise. the dash in the volvo is beautiful.
Agree with you and Swizz. Volvo wins easily, however, the A6 is still lovely (dully lovely).
Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I'm yet to see even the pics of the base new A6 (sedan or wagon), but base 5 series definitely is terrible.

Sad truth is most of the European cars look like s*** in their base trim(sold in Europe).
agreed but at least the RWD proportions stay the same regardless. FWD on big cars with small wheels is terrible.