Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It really depends how much it costs. For a luxury car, what is important is just that: luxury/comfort. Reliability would be a good plus, unlike anything German (not counting Italian or British). Better spend less on a luxurious commuter car, and save the money for any other true pleasure.
Will probaby be around $60000 in the U.S.

IMHO, what's really important is a well-known name on the badge and a good dealership/service experience (at least in the U.S.). Are the top level AMG S-Classes really worth double what the base S-Classes are worth? No. But they sell every one they make b/c people want to show off.

Lexus has really been the only successful "new" luxury make b/c it offered exponentially more (and w/ greater sophistication, initially) than did anyone else. And they created a new dealer network (so you didn't have to deal w/ buying your car next to a Tercel).

BTW, BMWs and Audis have all done very well for the past several yrs in Consumer Reports reliability surveys. No doubt, they are very expensive to maintain. But there's not really much recent evidence to suggest that they're all unreliable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
USP
USP?

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 03-30-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:51 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

KIA/Hyundai differentiation as others have mentioned is...blurry at best. KIA Stinger should have been that vehicle that sets them apart but now this comes along. Also, i wonder if KIA pays any attention to the thousands out there that won't buy their cars because they don't find the KIA logo appealing at all. I know its silly details but i was kinda hoping that the Stinger would have been a great chance for new branding.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 04-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Also, i wonder if KIA pays any attention to the thousands out there that won't buy their cars because they don't find the KIA logo appealing at all. I know its silly details but i was kinda hoping that the Stinger would have been a great chance for new branding.
I don't know if those people are worth it then. There are more important things than logos and badges.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
I don't know if those people are worth it then. There are more important things than logos and badges.
I agree. Besides, I can just hear it now. Imagine if KIA did "new branding" with some "expressive" symbol. People would be howling "wannabe" right and left. Kia's emblem is no less or more idiotic than 4 rings, a star, etc. If anything, I love the simplicity of it. A new emblem could come out as bad as the Lexus "nose" or the Mazda "uterus".
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I agree. Besides, I can just hear it now. Imagine if KIA did "new branding" with some "expressive" symbol. People would be howling "wannabe" right and left. Kia's emblem is no less or more idiotic than 4 rings, a star, etc. If anything, I love the simplicity of it. A new emblem could come out as bad as the Lexus "nose" or the Mazda "uterus".
Yeah but they thing is, KIA needs to shake off their old image before they start aiming for more premium product. New branding isn't something Toyota, Mazda etc haven't already done in the 90s. If a new logo would help shift more cars then i would think its worth it personally. I like Mazda's logo, its simple and effective. Lexus's logo is also quite good IMO. I get what you mean swizzle but KIA is already got a grill design locked in and it works best on vehicles like the Stinger and Sportage. I don't think they would necessarily go for a 'matching' nose or for try-hard techniques.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 04-02-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Yeah but they thing is, KIA needs to shake off their old image before they start aiming for more premium product. New branding isn't something Toyota, Mazda etc haven't already done in the 90s. If a new logo would help shift more cars then i would think its worth it personally. I like Mazda's logo, its simple and effective. Lexus's logo is also quite good IMO. I get what you mean swizzle but KIA is already got a grill design locked in and it works best on vehicles like the Stinger and Sportage. I don't think they would necessarily go for a 'matching' nose or for try-hard techniques.
Changing brand perception is a very long and tedious task, but if done well and rigorously it pays off. Re-branding is very costly (in terms of marketing) and risky, yet there is not guarantee it works, even if the idea is sound.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Raconteur

Aside from the ridiculous K900, Kia does not appear to be going premium. Their trajectory is more toward the near-premium band inhabited by Acura and Buick.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Aside from the ridiculous K900, Kia does not appear to be going premium. Their trajectory is more toward the near-premium band inhabited by Acura and Buick.
I would hardly call KIA near premium. Rather its a premium Hyundai.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
I would hardly call KIA near premium. Rather its a premium Hyundai.
That's only because you look down your nose at the Koreans.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:00 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Changing brand perception is a very long and tedious task, but if done well and rigorously it pays off. Re-branding is very costly (in terms of marketing) and risky, yet there is not guarantee it works, even if the idea is sound.
oh i know and i agree. Worked in Marketing myself. But with the amount of money KIA/Hyundai have been investing in every aspect of the business and risks they have been taking with their market ventures and cars such as the GENESIS models, Stinger and the likes of the Kona and Veloster it seems they are more than keen to try everything possible to improve and gain market share. It seems typical of Korean brands of late, such as Samsung etc.

MAKE
MINE
FORD