CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-11-2018, 12:24 PM
madskillz madskillz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
. Altogether I think a worthy update, probably as a whole currently the best in class, even if it is not a stunning, opinion dividing water shed vehicle like the first gen focus was.
Hmm best in class??

Looks ok inside and out, but nothing spectacular, seems like they finally caught up with the competition regarding interior space(Yes the Focus was that cramped inside), although press release doesn't mention trunk's capacity, so it still might be smaller than the rest.
3-cylinder only unless you get the largest diesel.
Torsion beam for smaller engines.
Hopefully it drives more like a new Fiesta than a current Mondeo.
Sure they'll sell a lot of them, because it's a Focus, so it has large following especially in the UK.

But IMO the next Golf and it's siblings (coming next year) will easily top it - let's wait and see ;)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Hmm best in class??

Looks ok inside and out, but nothing spectacular, seems like they finally caught up with the competition regarding interior space(Yes the Focus was that cramped inside), although press release doesn't mention trunk's capacity, so it still might be smaller than the rest.
3-cylinder only unless you get the largest diesel.
Torsion beam for smaller engines.
Hopefully it drives more like a new Fiesta than a current Mondeo.
Sure they'll sell a lot of them, because it's a Focus, so it has large following especially in the UK.

But IMO the next Golf and it's siblings (coming next year) will easily top it - let's wait and see ;)
I recommend reading articles about trunk space - the estate is now significantly up by 100- normal and 150l folded down (575 - 1620l);

Most "first inetrior seat impressions" I read mention how spacious it is now, especially in the back(Focus was not that tight, it was average, though up front it felt tighter than it was, thanks to the bulky dash, which is gone now), with mentioning that basically the full 53mm stretch in wheelbase is gone into rear legroom, which than indeed would way excess class average .

3 cylinders are now the class norm (and Ford started that trend, btw.), it's the same at VAG or BMW, so again, you don't loose anything. The torsion beam is also found under any Golf derived base model (in Octavia or Leon eve in anything but range topping versions), as well as in the "premium" Mercedes A-Class or Audi Q2. Not that I like this, but again, everyone is doing it nowadays.

Given most of the competition is now quite long in the tooth, I think it should do fine for now, and the next Golf will not be all new (still MQB based, and some expect even a Mk. 5 to 6 reskin), so probably not that much off a step form now, Astra is an okay vehicle IMO already outclassed by the currnet Focus (having driven both), as are Atsra, Peugeot 308 etc. The Leon will probably not be allowed to be too good anyway (think of Ibiza vs. Polo), what I am looking forward to is the new Mazda 3 with it#s innovative petrol engine that can ignite like a Diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2018, 01:47 PM
madskillz madskillz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I recommend reading articles about trunk space - the estate is now significantly up by 100- normal and 150l folded down (575 - 1620l); .
I admit that I didn't bother to, but I'm more curious to know the hatch's trunk volume - the outgoing model was really poor in this regard, so if anybody knows this, please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Most "first inetrior seat impressions" I read mention how spacious it is now, especially in the back(Focus was not that tight, it was average, though up front it felt tighter than it was, thanks to the bulky dash, which is gone now), with mentioning that basically the full 53mm stretch in wheelbase is gone into rear legroom, which than indeed would way excess class average .
Agree on this - after seeing first impressions video it seems interior is finally spacious, but is it any bigger than in Astra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
3 cylinders are now the class norm (and Ford started that trend, btw.), it's the same at VAG or BMW, so again, you don't loose anything. The torsion beam is also found under any Golf derived base model (in Octavia or Leon eve in anything but range topping versions), as well as in the "premium" Mercedes A-Class or Audi Q2. Not that I like this, but again, everyone is doing it nowadays.
This is true only for 1.0 liter engines. Everybody else realized 3-cylinder is not the way to go for anything larger and are having 4-cylinders for that.
3-cylinders were good for emissions tests(which might not be the case with the new WLTP rules) and for manufacturing costs - no real benefits to the drivers.
VAG is having new 4-cyl 1.5 TSI, new Merc/Renault 1.3 is a 4-cyl as well, same for Hyundai/Kia 1.4, even BMW realized petrol 3-cylinder is not that great and won't be offered in the next 3-series, although we will see it in the next 1-series.

Torsion beam is a common practice and Ford used to stand out - not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Given most of the competition is now quite long in the tooth, I think it should do fine for now, and the next Golf will not be all new (still MQB based, and some expect even a Mk. 5 to 6 reskin), so probably not that much off a step form now, Astra is an okay vehicle IMO already outclassed by the currnet Focus (having driven both), as are Atsra, Peugeot 308 etc. The Leon will probably not be allowed to be too good anyway (think of Ibiza vs. Polo), what I am looking forward to is the new Mazda 3 with it#s innovative petrol engine that can ignite like a Diesel.
With MQB you could make a car that drives as good as the current Focus( Leon), offers better interior and trunk space, burns less fuel, while looking better and all this being 10cm shorter in length. So even small update might be sufficient to be ahead.

The only advantage of the current Focus over the Astra was fun to drive - but the difference was not as big as in previous generations, as Opel significantly upped their game in this regard. Everything else spoke for Opel. Though it'll be interesting to see what the next generation will bring - 308 is a nice car, but probably with the most cramped interior in this segment, while Astra being rather on the large side, and when they change to PSA platform it might not be a case anymore.

Next Mazda might be interesting, but I'm pretty sure it will remain a niche vehicle in Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 AM
Nicktyelor's Avatar
Nicktyelor Nicktyelor is offline
The Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,246
Default

I wasn't in love with it yesterday, but I'm liking it more and more. The stance and body lines are very handsome and planted. I was feeling nostalgic for the old one until I looked it up again for comparison. I think the new one actually has a lot more character than the outgoing model. The way the body sort of bulges around the wheels and shrinks in towards the middle gives a nice athletic look. I would say Ford's family face is getting tired at this point, but it actually works well here imo.

It does looks really similar to an i30 though. This is also another instance of interiors unifying into a single formula (the stick-on tablet has completely permeated the market this year). The taillights are also directly from a Fiat Tipo. And while I like the new headlight elements, the housing is comically large. This looks particularly bad on the sedan and dwarfs the rest of the car in comparison. I'm not sure if Ford is trying to make the car seem sportier and smaller by blowing up the detailing (new Mini)?

I'm weirdly attracted to the Active trim with the cladding. It looks pretty good in white.
__________________
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:33 AM
TdeV TdeV is offline
Crazy Composer!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,018
Default

The hatchback is easily the most attractive of the bunch. You can tell it was the original design and the other 2 are derivative. Overall I like the hatchback and I like it's conservative but contemporary interior, but I'm so butt-hurt from my previous Focus' issues I can't see myself buying a Ford ever again.

The sedan is passable, but I need to see more photos to decide whether the trunk looks tacked on or organic. The wagon is hideous.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Trevor de Verteuil
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 AM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
The hatchback is easily the most attractive of the bunch....
If I'm going to drive a hunchback, it needs to be a crossover at this juncture.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Today, 07:39 PM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is online now
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,199
Default

Why couldn't the sole model be a lifted WAGON??? Argh. Sorry to kill the dreams for those of you hoping that the hot hatch version would make it to the US....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/th...ming-to-the-us
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy