Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Really, though,I think limiting it to just two will move it along much quicker.
Makes sense to me.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS

I like the idea of having simultaneous contests, it would be nice if both the winner and runner up were both asked to choose topics for the next contest, so while voting is going on for one contest we can have another contest up and running.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

My biggest issue with simultaneous "big" contests is that, even if they were staggered, the entries for each would basically be cut in half.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
I'm not against expanding the number of entries; my main concern is the timing. If we got two entries very quickly but had to wait days for someone to enter a third then it would kind of negate the point of having a "quick" draw contest in the first place.

Conversely, if three or four people were to get in entries before a mod had the chance to close the contest, I see no reason why those couldn't be considered.

Really, though,I think limiting it to just two will move it along much quicker.
to tell you the truth the quick draw isn't too fair to me, because i have to go to another house to scan my work then come here to post it, and I'm only at the second house on some weekends...I mean does it have to be that fast...
Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedandGlorious View Post
to tell you the truth the quick draw isn't too fair to me, because i have to go to another house to scan my work then come here to post it, and I'm only at the second house on some weekends...I mean does it have to be that fast...
If it wasn't 'that fast' then it wouldn't be a 'quick draw' lol. Admittedly, it isn't fair for people like yourselves that haven't got a scanner, but couldn't you do what or2007 does and take a pic with a camera or camera phone and upload your pic that way?

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Agreed. The intent is not to exclude possible participants, by any means, but rather to keep the contests moving along as quickly as possible. Limiting the amount of participants (and consequently the amount of time) stands as really the only logical option in that respect.

It sometimes seems, for instance, that in our contests the first couple of entries come very quickly, while the remainder are posted much closer to the closing deadline. I think the sense of urgency will make this more exciting.

And I completely understand the concern that you may not be able to participate in every contest, but then again that's kind of the point. It all comes down to whoever is available, and whoever is inspired at that given moment; frankly I think it will make participation more diverse.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Well, I haven't been entering much lately, as I've been quite busy. Or I'd like is a quick type of competition, I don't have enough time to develop a whole design. I just want to sit down draw a few ideas, and maybe some sketches with a little more detail.
I think we can reach this by setting certain equipment that can be used. ie. Only a pencil for one competition, or a pen for another. etc.

I'm not in for long competitions with everything fully rendered; competitions for only a page of design ideas (etc.) would be much better, and would make it easier for people to meet the deadline.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Raconteur

I would like the 10 points that we can award to be able to be divided up among as few or as many entries as we desire. If I see an entry that deserves all 10 points, I should be able to do that. If there are 5 so-so entries I should be able to give 2 points each. This would give the individual designers a better feel for how their designs are being received.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
CSS Veteran

Or rate every single entry between one and ten points on (for example) innovation, presentation and feasability or something.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

The scoring system was implemented with the intention of keeping the contests as competitive as possible. Allowing one entry to get the entire ten points means said entry could run away with the contest and other entries may not have a chance. I know, the best design should still theoretically win in this case, but for the sake of participation (which, in this past contest, was rather high) I think the current system of point distribution is better.

Rating each design on a few criteria is not a bad idea, however, as that (1) gives everyone points regardless and (2) addresses swizzle's point about designers getting a better idea of how their designs are being received in different respects. However, rating each individual entry in a contest with a dozen entries (and I realize the number's not always that high, though it's sometimes higher) could take a really long time. Plus, if there is a limit to the possible points awarded ( 3 criteria X 10 pts. each = a possible 30 points) there is much more room for a tie between several entries.

The system we have is fair enough to encourage broad participation, and it is easy enough so that it doesn't discourage people from voting. That is the balance we need to strike for these contests to be successful.

I appreciate the feedback and would be willing to explore different scoring mechanisms in future contests.