Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's YOUR vote for the next design contest?
Reinvent the Minivan 3 27.27%
Group B Rallycar Revival 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default Design Challenge: Group B Rallycar Revival

1. Reinvent the Minivan - What was once a practical multipurpose vehicle has been rendered irrelevant by Crossovers, SUV's and Wagons. It also doesn't help that the Minivan as we know it has become somewhat of an automotive punchline. Can you take away the stigma of the mommyvan and design a COOL, futuristic minivan that people will want to be seen in?

2. Group B Rallycar Revival - The Group B referred to a set of regulations introduced in 1982 for competition vehicles in sportscar racing and rallying regulated by the FIA. Group B regulations were responsible for some of the quickest, most powerful and sophisticated rally cars ever built. However, a series of major accidents, the FIA disestablished the class after only four years. Now with the advancement of safety and technology could the time be right for a Group B Revival?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I voted for Group B Rallycar Revival, as I love Group B and I don't think there's much scope for variety in the Reinvent the Minivan idea.

Last edited by Rob; 06-12-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 AM
TheSwageLine

I like both ideas, but since I can't vote for both, I'll just leave it blank.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 PM
DesignCentral Inc.

Send a message via MSN to dreamersmystique

Reinventing the minivan...well...sounds good but I like the idea of the Group B rally car more...I bet its gonna be interesting...

http://dreamersmystique.deviantart.com/
Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM
DesignCentral Inc.

I think it would be interesting for CSS manufacturers to come up with WRC editions of their cars...and gives a chance for us not-manufacturing-yet people like me to showcase a rally car and then move on to a road version... Would there be a specific class we should design for like 2500, 3000, 4000cc etc...??...

Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator

A rally car is definitely in the cards for me at some point, although I don't know if it will be a Quimera or some other brand. I don't even know enough about rally to design a class-specific car though

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
DesignCentral Inc.

Group B is the easiest class to design a rally car for, because there are no power output barriers, just engine capacity according to specific class specifications. The whole reason why Group B was a hit was because, manufacturers could go wild, in short the specs go like this:
1. Atleast 2 seats
2. Weight as low as possible
3. You can use as modern technology as you want
4. Road production of just 200

I dont remember all now, but once I got the chance to help in the design of a rally-ifying of a Suzuki Swift in Dubai. It was an amazing oppurtunity to see how they actually went around to spec-ing the car... It wasnt really meant for rallying, but the owner wanted it so cause he was quite passionate about it... I have some online references to which I can post links to...if this gets chosen as the contest topic or either way if anyone is interested...

As for you Domino, I think the Quimera Abante would come in the 4000cc category...since its got a 2.4L engine...right?... It would awesome to see a rally version of the Abante...

My kinda contest...!!...hehe...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default Design Challenge: Group B Rallycar Revival

The Group B refers to a set of regulations introduced in 1982 for competition vehicles in sportscar racing and rallying regulated by the FIA.
Group B regulations have been responsible for some of the quickest, most powerful and sophisticated rally cars ever built.
However, after a series of major accidents the FIA disestablished the class after only four years.
Your mission designers is to envision a vehicle reviving this once popular race class
taking full advantage of the advances in modern technology and safety standards.

This contest is open to ALL manufacturers, (ESPECIALLY MEMBERS WITH THEIR OWN BRAND).
If you are unclear on what Group B is, take a quick read HERE for more information and a general sense of direction.

Good luck designers!!! This contest will end on June 30.
Also, don't forget to post your development sketches and ideations in the Contest Development Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

This could work for me; the next scheduled Montgomery debut is a hot hatch and I think it would make a good Group B car kinda like the Peugeot 205 T16 (although bigger). The decals could be an issue though...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
This could work for me; the next scheduled Montgomery debut is a hot hatch and I think it would make a good Group B car kinda like the Peugeot 205 T16 (although bigger). The decals could be an issue though...
No worries about the decals; just post the street version ;) Looking forward to it!

I feel compelled to participate because I've wanted this topic for a while now, but work is soooo busy right now. Hopefully I will find the time, even if it means posting rough sketches.

p.s. love the banner, AXIS.

Closed Thread