Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeye View Post
Yeah, and then when the kids are grown up they can pimp their hybrid engine only with a few screws and bolts. Very realistic. Bravo Toyota, you have time and money for garbage like this but you can't build at least one competitive car in the major segments.
Toyota is doing pretty well.

This concept is really nice, and keep in mind this was shown at a TOY SHOW.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to wildeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Toyota is doing pretty well.

This concept is really nice, and keep in mind this was shown at a TOY SHOW.
In Europe Toyota is nearly dead, just saying. JDM might be better for sure.
And...uh yes of course, forgot that it's TOYota, my bad. Toyota's way of opening up additional market areas at a Toy show when their roof is burning? All kids in the world will love to drive a car that looks like it's made for disabled people. Another low point for the brand. Not easy to drive a Toyota with a smile on the face nowadays.

That's a cool car for kids and its costs are at a minimum (photo taken from the new audi ad):

Last edited by wildeye; 06-14-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Toyota's sales are still very strong in most of Europe. Yaris and Auris are very popular. Call them boring, but Toyota does very well.

This concept is a styling excersize and a fun thing to do. Stop hating for no reason.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Lets see now.. front opening door, central seating for the driver, two passengers.. does anyone else think that this might be based on the Gordon Murray T25?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/ImgGall...7158_15747.jpg
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I think this is a rather cool concept and so thoughtful of Toyota. I wish they would put this into production
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
"Camatte features a fully customizable exterior with easily removable and installable body panels. Seen here in two different styles called Sor and Daichi, a range of body panels in various shapes and colors can provide for a unique exterior."
So your point is that body panels etc need to be ugly and look like they came off a steam boat?:nono:

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
So your point is that body panels etc need to be ugly and look like they came off a steam boat?:nono:
To all of you scoffing at this concept:

Do you remember being a kid? I mean a child, not a hormonal 13-year old getting randy at the lustful slashes of a Countach. I remember being a kid very well. I even have a few drawings and paintings I did up til I was 5 or 6 years old. And you know what? They look like this car! And don't think I was a young hack- I have a BFA, on my way to a masters and considered becoming an automotive designer for 10 years before settling on sculpture and fine arts.

The point is, children don't subscribe to the forgettable whims of the style-du-jour. They're not thinking about the Councours and they're not worried about the next soap bar from Geneva. They, like the vast majority of us, are seduced by the man-machine interface; the fundamental form of the vehicle; the toy-like promise of using our imagination to mechanically extend our physical desires into an almost fantasy-like realm. A car to a child is a box with wheels, a motor that makes it go and a steering wheel to make it turn. Beyond that, a vehicle is utterly off limits- an adult plaything... and for this reason, to even consider the motor vehicle or personal transportation from the perspective of a child, is brilliant. I think it's whimsical, simple, fun and perfect for its purpose. Don't be such an adult.

I have a feeling the car of the distant, sober future is going to look a hell of a lot more like this than your average Citroen C3. Function over form is more beautiful and authentic anyway. If we were building our designs upon bare necessity I don't think anyone here would be cynical enough to chastise the philosophical and aesthetic simplicity of this 'concept'. Kudos to Toyota for truly doing something different- by going back to basics.

And the first thing I thought of was Automoblox... a brilliant play thing, for... wait for it... CHILDREN! Imagine that?!

Last edited by thedesigner; 06-22-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeye View Post
Yeah, and then when the kids are grown up they can pimp their hybrid engine only with a few screws and bolts. Very realistic. Bravo Toyota, you have time and money for garbage like this but you can't build at least one competitive car in the major segments.
Now I don't intend to lay a smackdown here, but let's try to keep the level of banter to a higher standard than this. First:
I've seen a few lists that puts the Corolla as the number one selling car in the world, and not just all-time, but currently... and if that's not enough, here's a fact from autoweek:

The Toyota Prius is now the third-top-selling car in the world, after the Toyota Camry and the Ford Focus.

So what's my point? Don't waste space with bs. We're all guilty of it sometimes, but seriously... seriously? Yeah, the Corolla's not a Mazda3... but then again, that's not what the masses want. Feel free to contribute something meaningful to our silly little forum... it's yours too... but think a lil, eh?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to wildeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedesigner View Post
Now I don't intend to lay a smackdown here, but let's try to keep the level of banter to a higher standard than this. First:
I've seen a few lists that puts the Corolla as the number one selling car in the world, and not just all-time, but currently... and if that's not enough, here's a fact from autoweek:

The Toyota Prius is now the third-top-selling car in the world, after the Toyota Camry and the Ford Focus.
Q1 2012 is not representive for a whole year.
So, let's look at the top-selling cars worldwide in 2011 (data from Forbes):

01. Toyota Corolla 1.02m
02. Hyundai Elantra 1.00m
03. Wuling Sunshine 0.93m
04. Ford Focus 0.91m
05. Kia Rio 0.81m
06. Ford Fiesta 0.78m
07. VW Jetta 0.74m
08. Toyota Camry 0.72m
09. Cherolet Cruze 0.69m
10. VW Golf 0.64m
11. VW Passat 0.56m
12. Honda Civic 0.55m

First thing, you think the Wuling Sunshine is competitive? Masterpiece of engineering and state of the art, huh?
Second, have you seen the Auris in the top 3? No and that's because you know that the Corolla's sales numbers are always complicated to look at. There's a lot of fragmentation in the worldwide market and the worldwide market is no indicator for an up-to-date product. You can't compare the continents when it comes to building a competitve car. Yes, the Corolla is a big seller in USA, but most people in USA live in houses made of wood because wood is the least costly building material.
So to sum it up, I should have defined what I understand about the word competitve. But then, living in a modern world and having a forum full of tech-addicted people makes clear what competitve means HERE.

Last edited by wildeye; 06-22-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The Corolla is just fine.