Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

To inspire them to make them all more sexy. Start at the ground floor - make it a stunner to get people who have an A4 back into the showroom. Then roll the similar look (something that Audi is good at) to the rest of the line up.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM

However good, a FWD A4 won't get me to any Audi showroom. Call me stubborn, otherwise I'd be driving a FWD Alfa Romeo. (Can't believe I really do.)
Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Raconteur

Veering wildly off topic...

The A6/7/8 models are large enough that the FWD packaging advantage is pretty much moot but the FWD handling disadvantage is readily apparent. An S4 is a great vehicle--no doubt about it--but dynamically I'd rather have an M3. The AWD driveline AKA quattro is an effective band aid, but it is a band aid.

Letting them go RWD and share platforms with Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti makes sense.

If Toyota can make a $22K Camry into a $45K Lexus ES there is no reason a $22K Passat MQB couldn't be a $45K A4.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

If Toyota can make a $22K Camry into a $45K Lexus ES there is no reason a $22K Passat MQB couldn't be a $45K A4.
This is as it was before Passat went transversal.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
This is as it was before Passat went transversal.
Not exactly. The Passat was engineered off and on off the 80/90/A4 so the Passat was always overpriced relative to the competition as a result.

Toyota on the other hand engineers a competent Camry that is priced where it should be, so the ES is more profitable given the less costly but very effective components under the skin.

The VW way made the Passat less than a profit center.

VW needs to think like Toyota.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.autobild.de/bilder/erlkoe...257.html#bild1

Autobild has rather good spyshots of what looks like the final thing. And, to be honest, it's a typical Audi. Really not a single new thing. Too bad.
Probably a bit more TT like grille, but let's face it, that could have stil be ontroduced by a facelift to the currnet car. But the rest, greenhouse, proportions. Identical basically...

Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I heard here at CSS that the car was delayed two years ago because Audi direction thought that the design was too conservative. And then we get this...i honestly can't imagine how bad would the first design be to get back to drawing board.

Last edited by Reppu; 10-24-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I heard here at CSS that the car was delayed two years ago because Audi direction thought that the design was too conservative. And then we get this...i honestly can't imagine how bad would the first design be to get back to drawing board.
Especially the question might be allowed - what exactly did they change on the drawing board? Paste a TT or probably Citroen DS like grille on the current car?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Ohmygawd!!!!! Look at that awful one mile long front overhang. Its length trounces any French car. That is just horrible. How could it ever get approved by the board?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Ohmygawd!!!!! Look at that awful one mile long front overhang. Its length trounces any French car. That is just horrible. How could it ever get approved by the board?
The front is very rounded which is misleading. If you look at te distance from front of wheel arch to site of heaight it seems no worse than current model. Rear 3/4 shows it best