Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to wildeye

Maybe the old Scirocco, new model is impossible :)
Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

What will make all the difference for me is the interior, if it feels quality as well as sporty i might fall for it. If it has the same feel as the Eos it will probably leave me cold
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I just read an article says that VW Australia might not bring this here as they are not sure where theyd position it as it would eat into Golf GTi sales (which is the top selling Golf in Australia). That is not good news coz like the Volvo C30, i really like this. If they are worried about the GTi sales i say ditch the 3-door GTi and only sell 5-door versions and sell this as the 3-door GTi replacement (i dont like the 3-door Golf its not sleek like i like 3-door hatches)

heres the article.

I think the reason why it may not come here is the same (or similar) reason why America isnt taking it.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25743200053F88
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

The reason is Volkswagen made a ****ty job creating a Coupe that isn't a Coupe!! This is precisely why i got a problem with it and even here in Europe were buyers are used to having more than one choice within the same or similar segment from a brand this will also lead to confusion. In the end i think the Scirocco will eat up a lot of GTi sales, especially when performance variants of it arrive. If they wanted to create a Scirocco looking like a 3-door hatch they should have at least offered it in either RWD to make it unique and more expensive or AWD, not FWD. They would have made less sales due to the asking price but they would still sell and the GTi would not lose any of its thunder
Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
The reason is Volkswagen made a ****ty job creating a Coupe that isn't a Coupe!! This is precisely why i got a problem with it and even here in Europe were buyers are used to having more than one choice within the same or similar segment from a brand this will also lead to confusion. In the end i think the Scirocco will eat up a lot of GTi sales, especially when performance variants of it arrive. If they wanted to create a Scirocco looking like a 3-door hatch they should have at least offered it in either RWD to make it unique and more expensive or AWD, not FWD. They would have made less sales due to the asking price but they would still sell and the GTi would not lose any of its thunder
Haven't VW been having serious issues with how much the current Golf costs to manufacture?

If this new Scirocco is cheaper to produce, its entirely possible the company has a better profit margin for this model. Therefore, people buying this instead of a Golf will make them more money!

Perhaps when the new Golf hits the market, with production methods sorted out so the cost to make it is lower again, the new pricing will push people back towards Golf.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

What you said makes absolutely no sense! The entire purpose of having the Golf is for volume sales. If the Scirocco was cheaper to produce (and why is that?) then they should have just replaced the damn 3-door Golf or GTi with it all-together shouldn't they? Fact remains both models are on sale simultaneously and the "new" Golf is just around the corner.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
What you said makes absolutely no sense! The entire purpose of having the Golf is for volume sales. If the Scirocco was cheaper to produce (and why is that?) then they should have just replaced the damn 3-door Golf or GTi with it all-together shouldn't they? Fact remains both models are on sale simultaneously and the "new" Golf is just around the corner.
I appreciate that Golf is there to capture the big volume, and that won't change. The point was raised that some people might buy a Scirocco instead of a Golf, and I'm just sharing the thought that the company might not see this as a terrible thing (for now), if Scirocco delivers more in terms of profit per car.

New Golf is just around the corner, and I think we're in agreement that the positioning and price of the new model has got to make sense against the Scirocco, given the overlap we have now.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Something about VW products just isn't working for me. They are increasing in size, complexity and seemingly going more and more upmarket. To me thats not VW's thing (sorry).

I can't see this vehicle as something that people would aspire to like they did the Mk1 or 2. Perhaps they should have chosen a new name for it.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Something about VW products just isn't working for me. They are increasing in size, complexity and seemingly going more and more upmarket. To me thats not VW's thing (sorry).

I can't see this vehicle as something that people would aspire to like they did the Mk1 or 2. Perhaps they should have chosen a new name for it.
Perhaps they should have pulled a Scirocco looking Scirocco off of the Polo with a TSI under the hood sourced from China for 16-17K. We've already said that this is a 3 door Golf for all intents and purposes and that it would have made a great GTI in NA, and let the Rabbit--if they are silly enough to continue selling a vehicle that does not sell well--be a 5 door only.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
this is a 3 door Golf for all intents and purposes and that it would have made a great GTI in NA, and let the Rabbit--if they are silly enough to continue selling a vehicle that does not sell well--be a 5 door only.
That should have been a no brainer for them, even for the E.U. market