Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM

goldsuv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (cyberpunk3)

There is some interesting info on the Korea site(using a translator program).
It says there is a 3.0 V6 Diesel and the LUV is going to be introduced domestically in October. It also says it will compete with the Lexus RX350.
Also as far as a truck is concerned, remember Hyundai-Mobis is building a body on frame plant in Ohio to build frames for the new Jeep Wrangler.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Nurburgring is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (goldsuv)

The diesel has an output of 250HP. Not much of a difference between the regular Petrol.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 AM

iameveryguy is on a distinguished road

As you've said a successful truck business takes much careful study and preparation to satisfy the core truck buyers as we know of. Agreed. My ASAP meant now, not later to do the preparation required to make a successful penetration later into truck market at the earliest order. For RidgeLine, I would still consider it as a resounding success for being Honda's very first truck. Although volume wise, it has been less than threatening I have not heard a single person calling Ridgeline "laughable." I believe the biggest issue with Ridgeline is its lofty price.
So, When do you think we can possibly see the first Hyundai truck here?

Modified by iameveryguy at 8:35 AM 8/16/2006
Old 08-16-2006, 08:16 AM

2003gliguy is on a distinguished road

Just a quick note: John Krafcik was on Autoline Detroit on Sunday and spoke about some of Hyundai's plans and said they have no plans for a truck in the US- He also said that they do not know which way they are going as far as FR or FF drive on theTiburon...

but on another note we just came from Hyundai's sales training program and they said the Tib WILL be RWD with at least 300 HP and a 3.8 as the top powertrain.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Excellerator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (2003gliguy)

Quote, originally posted by 2003gliguy »
Just a quick note: John Krafcik was on Autoline Detroit on Sunday and spoke about some of Hyundai's plans and said they have no plans for a truck in the US- He also said that they do not know which way they are going as far as FR or FF drive on theTiburon...

but on another note we just came from Hyundai's sales training program and they said the Tib WILL be RWD with at least 300 HP and a 3.8 as the top powertrain.

The people who run the "sales training program" work directly for Hyundai, right? I'm sure if it were 100% confirmed, Krafcik would have said something rather than "we're not sure if..."

Please excuse my skepticism if this information is, indeed, true.

New email address! VT8919@gmail.com. Old one still works, but I use my Playstation 3 much more for internet.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (2003gliguy)

There are no definitive words whether a truck is in the near future but Krafcik has said "we must have a pickup truck one day. We want to be a full-line automaker so you can go through the segments we're not in right now to get a sense of where we're going." Gives some hope to those looking forward to one

Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
CSS Veteran

Swallow Doretti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (spwolf)

Quote, originally posted by spwolf »
So lets see with the trucks... Hyundai builds an truck, and it sells 80,000 per year. Based on that, it would be utmost failure. However for Hyundai, adding 80,000 sales per year would be awesome.

80,000 trucks for Hyundai, though, would be a stretch by about half. Remember that Nissan already had a very loyal core base of Frontier/Hardbody truck buyers who were waiting for a vehicle like the Titan to draw upon; Hyundai has no such thing. So Hyundai will be completely starting from scratch whenever they do finally decide to get into the truck market.

Also, as far as the Ridgeline's concerned, that's a very different vehicle from almost everything else out there, save it's sole DIRECT competitor, the Ford Explorer SportTrac. It's strange how people always forget that the Ford exists, especially since the SportTrac has consistently been the most successful vehicle in Ford's line-up now for quite some time. By "successful", I'm referring to the fact that Ford sells roughly 150,000 of them a year to consumers (there's minimal fleet sales) with almost no advertising budget for the vehicle and almost no rebates (Ford's only got $1000 on the table for the SportTrac at the moment--the most rebate money that's ever been offered).

There's definitely a market for the Ridgeline and SportTrac, but it's a very different buyer for the most part then people looking at even other midsize pick-ups. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota try and come out with their own competitor in this segment as well.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 PM

Yes this was Hyundai's Ride and Drive event for the Entourage, Santa Fe, and Accent in Philly, PA
Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (Excellerator)

Sorry about the double post-

The Autoline show was probably filmed weeks ago as they said the SUV that known as not the Mesa several times...and we know now it's the Veracruz.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 PM

mononeo is on a distinguished road

IMO Hyundai should NOT sell trucks. Trucks are on the way out, with high fuel prices going nowhere, and getting so deep into a dying segment would probably end up being a waste of time. These higher profit, higher-credit crossovers are exactly what they need right now, and it's exactly what they WILL need in the future. A truck is a gamble, these CUVs are not.

If you ask me, there is one real way in which Hyundai could break into sales for trucks. How? Well, it's pretty simple. Every day you drive around a city you see all of these company pickups driving around for everything from florists, to food delivery, all kinds of things..et cetera. These people don't need a truck, what they need is a bed in the back of their vehicle. If you ask me, Hyundai should offer either a Hyundai Accent or a Kia Rio with bare bones equipment and a bed on the back (so it'd now be a 2-door) for under $10,000. Revise the front fascia and give it a new name, and it wouldn't make the Accent or Rio look weird. They would be able to garner so many fleet sales it'd be a big success...also, if you put a bed on the back of a small vehicle, it would still be able to get good gas mileage. Such a vehicle could easily get 30 miles per gallon, which is a lot better than the 15 to 20 miles per gallon of similar low-end trucks. They don't need a frame, as they are only using very light duty, but they sure could use a bed. Kia Rio El Camino? It sounds stupid, but it would be smarter to enter into a non-existent category undominated by others than one with pre-established players that are out for blood.