Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road
Default Features you'd like to see

Anyone have any features they'd like to see added to cars? Rain sensing rear windshield wipers is pretty high on my list, especially through winter. Not sure why this isn't a thing yet, seems pretty basic.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
Anyone have any features they'd like to see added to cars? Rain sensing rear windshield wipers is pretty high on my list, especially through winter. Not sure why this isn't a thing yet, seems pretty basic.
Some hatchbacks (e.g. I used to have that on the Ford Focus) switch the rear wiper on when you put it in reverse, and the front wipers are o, which does do the trick for parking. A constant rear wiper in rain is probably not that required, and usually there is more dirt than water on rear windows, and constant wiping would likely soon scratch the window or ruin the wiper blades soon;
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Something that defrosts your windows or heats the interior of your car without starting your engine, at a set time. Should be coming with electric cars or hybrids hopefully.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
Something that defrosts your windows or heats the interior of your car without starting your engine, at a set time. Should be coming with electric cars or hybrids hopefully.
Oh you can have that in colder climates as an option, or retrofit; German webasto is a market leader in Europe I believe. I used to have it, both programmable and remote, even heated the coolant, so car didn't have a total cold start...
Old 11-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And you realize that would deplete the battery if it were not plugged in, right? Kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Two things that should be standard (and should've been ages ago but aren't for some reason):

1. headlights that turn on automatically when the wipers are on (most states require this anyway and it irks me to no end when it's downpouring and some drivers leave their lights off).

2. A gauge screen indicator when your brake lights are out. My '97 Accord had this feature and I haven't seen it since, which is so bizarre to me especially since the driver can't tell if they're out unless someone else tells them. I see multiple cars a day with all of their brake lights burned out (or only the center brake light operational).
Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Oh you can have that in colder climates as an option, or retrofit; German webasto is a market leader in Europe I believe. I used to have it, both programmable and remote, even heated the coolant, so car didn't have a total cold start...
Just had a very quick look at their website, and it seems that this is aimed at motorhomes more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
And you realize that would deplete the battery if it were not plugged in, right? Kinda defeats the purpose.
I'm sure it wouldn't deplete it by that much if it ran for 5-10 minutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
A gauge screen indicator when your brake lights are out. My '97 Accord had this feature and I haven't seen it since, which is so bizarre to me especially since the driver can't tell if they're out unless someone else tells them. I see multiple cars a day with all of their brake lights burned out (or only the center brake light operational).
I had this happen to me. This would be very useful, for both front and rear.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I'm sure it wouldn't deplete it by that much if it ran for 5-10 minutes...
Well given that you're an automotive engineer....
Old 12-01-2018, 01:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Well given that you're an automotive engineer....
The Prius has done the same thing with A/C by placing solar panels on the roof. It’s not that unrealistic. And let’s remember the subject of this thread: ideas and features people would LIKE to see. Just because you don’t like it or think it’s dumb doesn’t mean it’s not an idea worth throwing out there for discussion. I don’t see you contributing any. And last I checked you’re not an automotive engineer either...

Last edited by pjl35; 12-01-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is on a distinguished road

automated handjob