Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

I really don't like it. The letters are too small and too close to the leftside (its even worse for the nicknames). There should be a bit more extra room. And I think you have to be able to post a quick reply without clicking on an icon
Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

A nice change that I wasn't expecting after I came back from a small break O.O

The only thing we need now is an IRC server!

:-)
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

weee someone else has a signature.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Also (Yeah, I shouldnt be posting this here ), I think there should be a slight gap between the Reflection of CAR SPY SHOTS and the actually text itself. Not much, but it's getting on my nerves.

/me hides
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Actually we are planning a contest for a new logo :o
Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm better than you

Send a message via AIM to kid Send a message via MSN to kid

oh really...i have got to get in on that
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 AM

I have to agree with Ahura, he is right about the text size (which could be bigger), although I think readability has less to do with text size than it does with the clashing color schemes and terribly high contrast. It is far too high contrast ... white text frames against a black background is very harsh on the eyes and makes focusing difficult and even painful after looking at text for a few minutes. If the forum is to go black, all frames should be black as well, or at least a shade of gray. It's all too too hard on the eyes ... there is too much going on. The light blues and neutral tones of the previous forum were gentler on the eyes. It may also just be me, but there are an awful lot of Google Ads; I honestly don't even remember these on the previous forum, not so much because they weren't there (I'm pretty sure they were) but because it wasn't blatantly obvious and intrusive back then like it is now. These ads are appearing where most would expect to find navigation or margin controls. Is this an intentional psychological aspect of the design, perhaps hoping we'll accidentally click an AdSense entry? I'm sorry, but the placement of these ads is just arguably intrusive.

The forum software itself might be improved, but if this was change just for change's sake then it seems a little premature. I think it could use some revision ... it doesn't have to look exactly like the old forum, but the old forum was better laid out and easier to look at than this. If you want to see a good "dark" color board scheme as a good example, check out HardForum for some inspiration. That's dark and still easy on the eyes because it basically uses two warm colors on a dark background (red and amber against black and gray). This new forum has both warm (yellow/orange) and cold (green/blue) color schemes coexisting on terribly contrasted white and black backgrounds. This board is "figuratively" wonderful to visit, but "literally" painful to look at ... and deserves better.

Last edited by driven by design; 12-15-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I partially agree there driven by design, but I've never liked Invisionfree, and I think phpbb3 just came out (?)
Old 12-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

dbd, we have all voiced our concerns about these issues, but it is what it is; the changes made were literally a matter of keeping the forum open. The increased prominence of advertising on the site is a necessary way to keep it afloat. This board was expensive, and it wasn't generating nearly enough in ad revenue to offset hosting costs. Thankfully that has already changed, even though the ads may be a bit more intrusive. We just have to deal with them.

I agree completely about the color scheme. Sadly, the powers that be indicate that a change is not possible in the short term.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

I don't get why people are moaning about the font size..

you can change it...

look, bigger letters!

I'm on the intermediate level out of the 3 posting options, not sure if you can change font size on the basic one.

^^^CLICK the link^^^