Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 04:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Volkswagen Tarok Concept

Distracting myself from the election stuff with this...

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...tarok_concept/

I'm guessing this is based on the Ateca/Karoq/etc going by the side surfaces. It's a close match for the front door at least. So pretty small, which makes sense for the Brazilian market.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I love the concept of this...a small soft roading truck that does (really) light duty stuff (take lawn cilppings to the dump / etc). It's the rig 90% of current truck owners need.

I know I'm dating myself, but the Mazda compact truck, original ranger, S10 - were all massively popular here in Canada...I still see some on the road. Priced correctly -those would be massive, massive, massive hits.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Raconteur

A modern day El Camino crossover-pickup is bound to be a thing. The Ridgeline is a sales dud because it's trying to be a "real" pickup. A Golf sized crossover-pickup would be a much batter gamble than the Atlas-sized Tanoak. As usual, VW knows best--it thinks--for products for the American market.

I wonder though whether a Ford Ranchero is in the works off the Focus....
Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I guess this will be a competitor for the Fiat Torro then, as it is also mainly South America bound...
Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
A modern day El Camino crossover-pickup is bound to be a thing. The Ridgeline is a sales dud because it's trying to be a "real" pickup. A Golf sized crossover-pickup would be a much batter gamble than the Atlas-sized Tanoak. As usual, VW knows best--it thinks--for products for the American market.

I wonder though whether a Ford Ranchero is in the works off the Focus....
There are so many things against Ridgeline that make it a sales dud...
- Ugly
- WAY over priced for what it is
- U.G.L.Y

The concept of Ridgeline is sound; a soft roader truck that has some capability (enough for 95% of current truck purchasers -the rest are image focused posers). But it's totally messed up 2 of the 4 points of the marketing mix. Till Honda figures that stuff out - it'll continue to be a sales disaster.

This VW concept looks promising; but they'll for sure screw up price.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I think in this case (or, as it would be with the similar Fiat Torro to become a RAM or something for Europe), a major hurdle is the main destination developing markets. Pretty much as it was with the Ford EcoSport, a car intended at developing has different priorities; IN South America, these pick ups, car derived or not,a re used as work horses, not a fashion statements, and are built to be simple and tough, and especially cheap to produce (locally), and not for "car like comfort according to Western standards", handling or fancy assist systems and soft touch plastics; Adapting a model for Western markets usually ends up costing nearly the same as developing something stand alone one right away, and is usually still compromised (again, VW Fox, or Fod EcoSport are good examples);

In this special case, as you point out, we would have to add the usual very ambitious VW pricing as a factor as well....
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
...In this special case, as you point out, we would have to add the usual very ambitious VW pricing as a factor as well....
And put up with the reliability woes and cost of repair horrors.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
There are so many things against Ridgeline that make it a sales dud...
- Ugly
- WAY over priced for what it is
- U.G.L.Y

The concept of Ridgeline is sound; a soft roader truck that has some capability (enough for 95% of current truck purchasers -the rest are image focused posers). But it's totally messed up 2 of the 4 points of the marketing mix. Till Honda figures that stuff out - it'll continue to be a sales disaster.

Honda seems happy to have the Ridgeline selling 30k or so a year. They don't have the production capacity to build more than that with the Odyssey/Pilot competing for space in Alabama.

Ford plus VW....Has Ford forgotten the Mazda truck......Has VW forgotten the Routan???

Seems they have.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Honda seems happy to have the Ridgeline selling 30k or so a year. They don't have the production capacity to build more than that with the Odyssey/Pilot competing for space in Alabama...
Talk about BS rationalization for a product that sells at 1/10th the volume it would need to be bring in just to be considered an "also ran" in the segment.