Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2007 Subaru Impreza

No Spy Pics yet, but This bit of news was better off here than in the news section. Add Pics as they become available:

Quote, originally posted by From AutoExpress Magazine »
IMPREZA HOT HATCH ON WAY

Auto Express can exclusively reveal the Japanese firm has outrageous plans for the next Impreza. Altering a formula which has proved a success for the past 12 years is a bold move, but the introduction of an Impreza hatch follows Mitsubishi's plans to radically alter its Evo line-up.

The decision confirms comments made by Impreza chief engineer, Hiroshi Mori, who told Auto Express that the next-generation car "might take a new design direction, and could be smaller". So why have designers turned their back on saloons? The new car will be smaller, lighter and cheaper to produce than the four-door, and should have better handling, thanks to its short wheelbase and stiffer body.

Led by ex-Alfa Romeo and SEAT designer Andreas Zapatinas, Subaru's styling department has not only opted for a squared-off finish at the rear, but a long nose as well - bringing the new model into line with the look of many European hatches. The front overhang will house the turbo motor's intercooler, which will be moved from its current position at the top of the engine bay.

With the new car not due until 2007, Subaru has a facelifted Impreza saloon already waiting in the wings. Exclusively revealed by Auto Express in Issue 838, it will be launched at the end of this year, before going on sale early in 2006.

The Impreza hatch will sit on a shortened Legacy chassis. The plan is to introduce basic 1.5 and 2.0-litre variants, with flagship models coming with a 2.0-litre 300bhp turbo motor. Five and six-speed manual gearboxes will be available, along with a five-speed auto.

Despite the extra versatility provided by the five-door body shape, engineers won't compromise the Impreza's handling for practicality. Unlike the Legacy, which has compact rear suspension to maximise boot space, the Impreza will use a layout that will optimise driving dynamics.

To enhance the cornering potential even more, engineers and test drivers will also develop an advanced version of the current Driver Controlled Centre Differential (DCCD). This allows more torque to be channelled to the rear wheels for sharper turn-in.

No matter how good the handling, it remains to be seen whether loyal fans will warm to the idea of an Impreza hatchback.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (Santeno)

Pic from AutoExpress:

Looks like a Peugeot 206 to me...

Old 04-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (knicks125)

I have the same information related to the powertrains....But hadn't heard that the next Impreza would be a hatch... Maybe a hatch variant will be available but given the fact that most WRXs are sold in the US which prefer sedans I really doubt that the WRX sedan would be ditch for a hatch...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (bolita)

Can this be with the Impreza sti thread Santeno?
http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=12722
Old 04-13-2005, 01:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

No the Sti is an update of the current model. This trhead is for the replacement model.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (Santeno)

Quote, originally posted by Santeno »
No the Sti is an update of the current model. This trhead is for the replacement model.

Really? I didnt know that. Never mind then
Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (Santeno)

I am with Bolita, I don't expect subaru to ditch the sedans and replace them with hatches. I expect instead they will just offer a hatch-version of the impreza as well as a sedan.

also, subaru will never put a front-mount intercooler on their cars, it will definitely have a top-mount like all of the current models

Old 04-13-2005, 05:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (chaserolls)

That's the only thing I don't like about the WRX...if it wasn't top-mounted on the hood, it would be a GREAT car
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (knicks125)

Quote, originally posted by knicks125 »
That's the only thing I don't like about the WRX...if it wasn't top-mounted on the hood, it would be a GREAT car

What's wrong with top mounted IC?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza (Mindless T)

Quote, originally posted by Mindless T »

What's wrong with top mounted IC?

Nothing. I just don't like it on the hood. Anywhere else but there, that's all.