Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

ClunBB9 is on a distinguished road
Default 2020 BMW 5 Series

Work for Trans 2. Design a BMW 5-series for 2020. These sketches are quick sketches to figure out the form of the car before we devote to details. These are all mostly elevations or sideviews. Some of them have a quick plan view sketch. Note all the sideviews are all done in 1/10th scale which means these are HUGE sketches. This is for week 4... during spring break we are to have our tape drawing completed and soon afterwards we shall begin our clay models. I will keep you guys updated on those.

Look what I came across:

And guess who I got to sign it:

I got my department head, Mr Tom Matano himself, the original Miata designer as well as the Chief Designer for Mazda North American Operations for 19 years to sign and write something short. What an inspiration he is.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM

mrfdesign is on a distinguished road

I must say i dont particularly like any of them so far. I think for a start they all look 3-series size to me. The sketches are nicely drawn and neat. But i rate you should try do something a bit more risky in design. Something pretty out of the box and try create a really really sculpted car. With technology always going forward im sure They'll be able to produce very sculpted cars by then
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

These are all done off 5 series underlays which means they retain the current 5 series proportions. They also all follow the BMW proportion rules which is pretty easy to recognize if anyone attempted to study them.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 PM

I understand that i just think that they could be alot more exciting thats all. If you look at the current model compared with its predecessor you can see a massive change in design
Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road

Terrific work, and a great look into the design process. Look forward to seeing more of this stuff!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

BMW is perhaps one of the most difficult brands to design. What makes a BMW a BMW is truely difficult concept to grasp. Chris Bangle is no longer a BMW which means that no one will know where their design direction is going to be in 12 years. For all of us, Chris Bangle was a crazy man that successfully brought BMW back onto the leading edge of design. Who knows what is successor will do...
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Dude chris bangle is no crazy man at all. I highly respect him. And BMW is not a difficult car to design if you know what features make it a BMW. Eg sculpted bodywork-flame surfacing, hofmeisters kink etc etc
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

BMWs will always have their styling cues, but it goes way past that. It goes way past just the hofmeisters kink and the kidney grills. It goes past the "sculpted bodywork-flame surfacing." It's the golden ratio thats the most important on a BMW. It's the fact that almost everything is either a 1/3 of the entire car or .30 of something. THIS is what makes designing a BMW difficult.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM

What on earth are you talking about? .30 of the car? So you saying the light cluster of a 1 series is a third the size of the car? Or the wing mirror of the Z8 is a third of the car size? I find that difficult to comprehend
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Forget all the small details such as headlights and taillights. What BMW design is all about is proportioning. For example, the length of the hood in the side elevation is 1/3 of the total car's length. The boot, is 1/6 of the total cars length. The greenhouse is exactly the same length as the wheelbase of the car. The slope of the front of the windshield always hits the top of the front wheel. The height of the greenhouse is actually 1/3 of the total car's height. This is what I am talking about. These ratios remain the same for all of the BMW sedans. It's all there in front of us. Take any BMW sideview and measure it out yourself. THIS is what makes designing a BMW hard and this is what I mean by the Golden Ratio.