There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2019, 07:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road
Default FCA and PSA in merger talks

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-merger-talks/

Sounds like this is far from a done deal. I think pairing a struggles US brand w/ ones that many Americans are either unfamiliar w/, or suspicious of, is not a great idea, but.... I guess this would allow FCA to focus on Fiat 500 derivatives, Jeeps, and trucks, while PSA fills in the rest? It could also bring Opel to the US....
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-merger-talks/

Sounds like this is far from a done deal. I think pairing a struggles US brand w/ ones that many Americans are either unfamiliar w/, or suspicious of, is not a great idea, but.... I guess this would allow FCA to focus on Fiat 500 derivatives, Jeeps, and trucks, while PSA fills in the rest? It could also bring Opel to the US....
TO a certain degree, I think there are logic points, as you point out e.g. the PSA lineup would pretty much fill the non existent lineup between larger sedans, Jeep and the FIat 500 on the other hand; PSA and Fiat have long cooperated on commercial vehicles, and Fiat and Opel did share some development in the short lived GM/Fiat marriage, so the companies know each other, which might help. PSA is also pushing a lot into EVs, something FCA barely has right now, on the other hand FCA has a lot of AWD know how, when the whole PSA group doesn't offer a single AWD car. Plus, it would give PSA an existing dealership infrastructure in the US, whilst PSA is very strong in China.

If done right, it could work; But there is also of course a potential for failure, no question; It would be fun though to see Opels, that look exactly like Buicks (or lets say Buick adopted the European Opel look in the last 10 years) - even the unrelated non GM era models - being sold at a Chrysler dealer (I'm sure, that the GM based stuff like the Insignia - being identical to the Buick Regal - would be embargoed in the Opel/PSA sales contract anyway)

It could also finally give the Giorgio platform some desperately needed volume, if say next gen. Insignia and a large Peugeot would return to RWD (504/505 and Opel fans would rejoice at the thought)

Last edited by mick78; 10-30-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Tomm14 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I hope the merger will succeed, would be very interesting :)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM
CSS Veteran

disap.ed is on a distinguished road

I hold Tavares in high regard, so this has probably the highest chance of succeeding of all the scenarios making the news these last years.

FCA doesn't have a competitive FWD platform right now and neither electric cars, which PSA is now starting selling.

Opel could be sold as Chryslers as Mick said, the RWD platform could also be used by the DS brand for example.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm aligning w/ Paranoid on this one...however, FCA needs to do something. Their line up is beyond embarrassing - and will prove to be very short sighted... When the next recession comes (and all those truck sales start going away), or when people realize that the Jeep products are WAY overpriced (and they have to reduce - hurting profitability).

Their untapped cash cows are Dodge and Chrysler.
Dodge has Durango (WAY long in the tooth), Challenger / Charger (WAY long in the tooth) and Journey; which is universally hailed as the worst crossover in North America.

Chrysler has 300 (WAY past it's best before date) and Pascifica - a great niche product that doesn't sell in meaningful quantities.

All the other brands of FCA are largely irrelevant in North America.

My concern w/ PSA is they don't have the crossovers that North Americans want...so, where is the upside?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Update: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/ps...rger-with-fca/
Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 AM
CSS Veteran

rv65 is on a distinguished road

This merger would give PSA access to their distribution network for both parts and vehicles. Chrysler has a pretty big dealer and parts network, and PSA would not have to build a new one from scratch if they are to return to the US.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:14 AM

Tomm14 is on a distinguished road

Renaissance of the Fiat Grande Punto thanks to the CMP platform
Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

This actually isn’t a bad idea. There’s a lot of synergies that can be had with FCA. All of the FWD platforms they’re using are revisions of very old chassis and it shows. Then, the LX platform and it’s ancient basis....
Old 10-31-2019, 08:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
... Challenger / Charger (WAY long in the tooth)

Chrysler has 300 (WAY past it's best before date) and Pascifica - a great niche product that doesn't sell in meaningful quantities.

My concern w/ PSA is they don't have the crossovers that North Americans want...so, where is the upside?
Yet it seems the Challenger outsells the newer Mustang and Camaro recently; It is old, true, but to me, the most American muscle out of the three, not only because of teh Demon and Hellcat, but because the Mustang feels to European and the latest Camaro is just weird and ugly;

PSA does however have some very competent small to compact CUVs (the Peugeot 3008 is among the best selling and highest regarded in Europe in it'S segment), and this is where Jeep resp. the Giorgio platform could come into play; A redressed Jeep Cherokee or Alfa Stelvio could work very well as large Peugeot or Opel CUVs (not only for the US) - of course, as Chrysler or Dodge as well, if PSA invests some cash, what they have, unlike FCA;

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
. All of the FWD platforms they’re using are revisions of very old chassis and it shows. Then, the LX platform and it’s ancient basis....
TO be fair, I think this is what the Giorgio platform was developed for, even if the US versions are now long overdue, likely due to cash (and probably the sedan segment dying, or a combination of both); PSA has only smaller platforms, EMP2 is very competent, but FWD only, and to small to base a proper full size sedan on it; However, it would be ideal to replace the aging FCA platforms (the 500X/Renegade trace their roots to the Grande Punto, the Cherokee even further back to the Fiat Stilo, although the platform was heavily revised for the Giulietta, and the later again for the US applications);

On the other hand, FCA seems about to launch a new, EV/Hybrid/Petrol compatible Fiat 500 and Panda, and PSA does not have a small platform to replace the 108/C1 after Toyota lleaves the project, so they could use the Fiat underpinnings at the bottom end of their lineup, and the Giorgio at the other.