currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 Montgomery SV100 MkV

Quote »
Montgomery SV100 MkV: Montgomery's Second Renaissance Begins

11 September 2007 - HAMBURG, GERMANY - Montgomery AG are proud to announce the most important new car in its 55-year history, the fifth-generation Montgomery SV100.

Defining Montgomery

The SV100 V can trace its lineage back to 1952's FS15, Montgomery's first car. A simple, inexpensive four-door saloon (and later estate), the FS15 quickly became a staple of family life around the world. However, all good things must come to an end, and 19 years after the introduction of this historic car the FC18 came into being.

A significant step forward over its predecessor, the FC featured the wedge-like styling that was popular at the time. Buyers flocked to Montgomery showrooms to purchase the FC18, which gained a reputation for being upscale in appearance, if not price.

1952 and 1971 were important years in the history of Montgomery AG, but perhaps the most significant year yet was 1981. In the fall of that year the first-ever Montgomery SV100 was unveiled to critical acclaim. Continuing the FC18's upscale styling theme but vastly improved everywhere else, the SV100 was a smash hit worldwide, breaking all of Montgomery's previous sales records and establishing the essence of the Montgomery brand: stylish, practical transport at an affordable price.

Twenty-six years, four generations and millions of cars later, the all-new SV100 MkV is set to start the cycle all over again.

Defying Tradition

In more ways than one, the new SV100 breaks with convention. Its daring design is perhaps the most obvious example. Showcasing Montgomery's new 'Layered Tension' design theme, the SV100 V is an exciting beginning to what will become the most visually captivating Montgomery range yet.

Thanks to extensive use of high- and ultra-high-tensile steel as well as several aluminium components, the new SV100, while nearly 90mm longer and over 30mm wider than before, weighs roughly 10kg less than its predecessor. The SV100's development was also the first to incorporate Montgomery's 'Gramme by Gramme System,' an obsessive weight-saving program that scrutinizes even the most insignificant components to see what can be paired down.

Unbeatable economy

All this obsessive weight-saving was attained with one goal in mind: economy. Along with the Gramme by Gramme System, the SV100 V also benefits from 'Stop 'n Go,' a system that automatically shuts off the engine whenever the brakes are applied, and a break regeneration system designed to reduce strain on the engine by recharging the car's battery when decelerating.

As a result of these new features, the SV100 V's fuel economy has improved considerably across the board, leaping ahead of its rivals.

Unparalleled choice

The SV100's engine range is the most extensive ever featured in a Montgomery Group product. With nine engine (all direct-injection) and two transmission options, every potential customer is catered to. The choices include:

-A 1.6-litre, 115bhp inline four;
-An all-new 1.8-litre, 153bhp inline four;
-A 2.0-litre, 175bhp I4;
-A turbocharged 2.0-litre, 206bhp I4;
-A new 3.2-litre, 273bhp V6 (currently for North American consumption only);
-A 1.6-litre, 103bhp turbodiesel inline four;
-A 1.8-litre, 145bhp turbodiesel I4;
-A 2.0-litre, 173bhp turbodiesel I4;
-A 3.0-litre, 208bhp turbodiesel V6

Each of these refined and powerful engines are available with either a six-speed manual or six-speed Duonic transmission.

Unforgettable drive

The SV100 MkV introduces Montgomery's new SV4 platform. While sharing many components with the SV3 chassis that has underpinned the majority of Montgomery's range since 2001, the SV4 running gear brings two important new developments.

First, the Shannon-sourced rack-and-pinion steering rack provides exceptional feel and impeccable precision, more in the manner of a world-class luxury sports saloon than a D-segment hatch, saloon or estate.

Second, a new double-wishbone front suspension replaces the old McPherson strut format. While more expensive to manufacture, it further sharpens steering while maintaining excellent body control.

The SV100 V will also be available with active anti-roll bars, which effectively eliminate body roll in corners.

Unassailable quality

As part of Montgomery's commitment to becoming an industry leader in quality and reliability, the SV100 V has undergone a rigorous testing program to make sure each and every car built will run flawlessly.

Inside, plush soft-touch surfaces and elegant aluminium and chrome trim, along with a sweeping new instrument panel, contribute to a feeling of luxury previously unseen in the D-segment. The plush trim is in addition to an expansive new cabin, considerably expanded thanks to a generous 2860mm wheelbase and an innovative, ultra-thin seatback design. Even the tallest occupant will have ample room in the SV100's front and rear seats.

Thanks to the new Driver-Machine Interlink (DMI) system, controlling the SV100 is easier than ever before. A single dial intuitively controls the navigation system along with several other functions. To further assist the driver, a heads-up display and lane-departure warning system are offered. DMI also comes with a 30GB hard drive for storing your favorite music; in the new SV100, every occupant is entertained.

Coming soon

The all-new SV100 V will redefine expectations in its segment around the world, but value remains a priority. Expect prices for the all-new SV100 MkV to rise only slightly over current models across the board.

The fifth iteration of this iconic car will be available around the world by the end of November.

Last edited by SV; 05-22-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2008 Montgomery SV100 MkV (SV)

Wow! So will Aviva and Montgomery become Rivals? My Midsize entry is ALSO debuting at Frankfurt.

I think that inteior is top notch and that front facia is beautiful. My only complaint is ground clearence. It sits kinda high.......but then again, my cars seem to scrape the ground...... Looks good........

No CVT?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

is it just me that liked hte previous generation better, styling wise?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

thanks for the replies so far

Quote, originally posted by 2o6 »
Wow! So will Aviva and Montgomery become Rivals? My Midsize entry is ALSO debuting at Frankfurt.

I think that inteior is top notch and that front facia is beautiful. My only complaint is ground clearence. It sits kinda high.......but then again, my cars seem to scrape the ground...... Looks good........

No CVT?

i thought aviva and montgomery were already rivals i agree the car sits too high in that drawing, i hadn't noticed before people started pointing it out. haven't heard many good things about CVTs, so i think the slight fuel-economy disadvantage is worth the benefits of a better transmission

Quote, originally posted by Ascariss »
is it just me that liked hte previous generation better, styling wise?

you mean this? how come?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

maybe i am mixing up cars, you have so many :/
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

hmm, you may be thinking of the SV concept from january (http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=22017). anyway though, not to be annoying or anything, but what do you think of the design itself?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

knihc2008 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to knihc2008

SV, I hate to be critical, but there's something a bit funky about this design. I have a feeling it's the view as opposed to the design itself... there's a weird uncut, unfinished feel about it. As Domino has pointed earlier, the thick black outline is a bit confusing, and too much. Also, the right side of the windshield (the passenger side of the car, USDM) seems to be too steep, perspectively, and too wide. It needs to look visually further back, unless you intend the windshield to be completely flat, which i don't think you do.

Designwise, it's been a treat to see the design process from the concepts and test sketches to the final product. There are fantastic details, like the sweep up to the fog lamps up front, the great integration of the grille and headlamps, and the complex surfacing. However, the car looks, proportionally, a little stubby, like the front is too short. I again think this has to do with the windshield, but also because the front is so tall and a bit meaty compared to the very fluid and feminine sides.

The interior is fantastic. The only slight complaint I have in there is that given the very organic and round nature of the center console, it would be nice to see matching organic shapes for the side air vents, door switches, and center armrest area.

JC
Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
CSS Veteran

VexedandGlorious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (knihc2008)

I agree with knihc...the windscreen is a bit wide and upright.the nose looks a bit stubby...
that aside its a good looking sketch. The design, while i like it, has an edge to it. I liek how the nose has evolved over the past 2 or so years.its really refreshing. Compared to the last model its a dramatic change over the last model.

I like the mood of the render, it has a nice feel too it...
one thing id change is the front intake, i needs more dept to it.looks a bit flat.
the most interesting aspect, to me is the blister behind the front wheelbase.

The interior I like, it too has a nice feel to it. i like how the exterior theme carries over to the interior..
ill examine the design more...
overal it was worth the wait...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

knihc2008: thanks for the feedback; glad you like the design itself, i hope that the time i spent on it wasn't wasted. to be honest i was extremely satisfied with this drawing at first; i didnt realize how unrealistically blunt the nose was or how high off the ground it was until it was pointed out. definitely see it now, especially after i compared my drawing with the older SV concept and some pics of the new mazda6 (which i think is vaguely similar to how i imagined the SV100's proportions). i'm still glad with the result overall, but i'm definitely going to do a new front 3/4 with a longer, lower nose and (alot) less ground clearance. and a rounder windshield. i'm worried about the obvious disparity that there'll be between these two pictures (since i'm going to consider both of them "official SV100 renderings"), but hopefully it'll turn out well.

VexedandGlorious: thanks for the comment! glad to know you like it; i agree about the front air intake, it's a bit flat but i had spent hours on this drawing by the time i got to it and was just too lazy and/or tired to add any depth to it

Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Design Studio Moderator

AXIS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default Re: 2008 Montgomery SV100 MkV (SV)

I think the transition from concept to production has been pretty flawless. I really like the details in the lights and the rims. and well you already know around the proportions, I'm sure you will fix that with the next drawing.