There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2011 Montgomery Icon RSport

Quote:
Montgomery expands Icon range, revitalizes sporty image with new RSport

15 August 2010 - HAMBURG, GERMANY - Montgomery Group's most popular model range, the Icon C-segment hatch, saloon and estate, gains a new addition today with the introduction of its new flagship RSport variant.

Bringing back the dynamic RSport moniker first introduced in 2003 with the first-generation Icon, the MkII Icon RSport brings Montgomery into a new era of dynamic, driver-focused engineering.

Building on a strong base

Using the critically and commercially acclaimed Icon II hatch as a base, an aggressive yet mature new front clip with smart LED-accented foglamps, extended side skirts and an exotic rear diffuser create a planted, dynamic look that reflects the RSport's intent as a driver's car.

The 18-inch, five-spoke alloy wheel design is shod with 225/45R18 tyres and is available in either sparkling silver or anthracite. Either way, the RSport's shoes only add to the car's sporty aura.

The RSport also introduces the MkII Icon 3-door, which will be available in non-RSport trims as well. With a sleek, coupe-like diving roofline, the 3-door bodystyle offers a fresh twist on the Icon look.

Enlivening to drive, easy to live with

The RSport uses the Icon's SV4 monocoque chassis to its fullest, with larger anti-roll bars and modified spring and damper rates combining with a tweaked electro-hydraulic steering rack to provide an invigorating, entertaining driving experience. The Icon RSport corners flatly and turns with precision, guaranteeing that every drive will be something to look forward to.

Maintaining forward progress is a new version of Montgomery's popular 1995cc turbocharged inline four petrol engine, generating 253PS (250bhp) and 351Nm (259lb-ft) of torque. With a flat torque curve and virtually no turbo lag, the RSport always has plenty of power.

A standard six-speed manual transmission provides light, progressive shift action; a lightning-fast six-speed ZKG transmission is also available.

While the RSport's driving credentials are certainly enticing, these dynamic skills do not come at the expense of refinement. Indeed, the RSport is just as comfortable and easy to live with as a standard Icon, with a firm yet compliant ride and hushed cabin. Like the standard Icon, the interior is impeccably-built, with soft-touch materials and laser-precision panel fit creating an impression of the highest quality. The RSport adds a flat-bottomed steering wheel and new, aggressively bolstered front seats with contrasting stitching to this already impressive package.

Shaking up the hot-hatch establishment this fall

The Icon RSport represents a new chapter for Montgomery, whose chassis tuning strengths have not been exploited to their fullest extent - until now. With a scalpel-sharp driving experience, refined performance and striking looks, the new Icon RSport looks set to make a big impression among hot-hatch buyers when it hits showrooms in 3- and 5-door form this fall.

Icon RSport shown in Redshift Metallic

Icon RSport shown in Midnight Plum Metallic

Icon RSport shown in Blue Sky with Anthracite Appearance Package and Graphics Package

Last edited by SV; 08-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM
TheSwageLine

Looks great. I love it, especially with the Anthracite Appearance and Graphics Packages.

I'm jealous of your abilities...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

looks great, amazing colouring as always, I like the silver strip on the bottom of the windows, adds a touch of class. One thing that is bothering is the large lower air intake in the bumper, perhaps a bit too big?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Yay! We finally see an RSport model! Looks fantastic, SV, certainly a worthy competitor to the GTI, et al. (although I say that with the disclaimer that this seems like a more compelling vehicle all around). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time we've seen the 3-door Icon, as well, and I like how you've given it a sleek look to the rear, as it's a nice counter to the imposing squared face. The taper of the window into the rear spoiler has an obvious Mk.3 Focus vibe to it, but again, it works well here.

The RSport details really set it off, too. The wheels are perfect, the new fascia is just aggressive enough (and you did a nice job with the subtle lip around the lower grille), and the lights beautifully done.

New models from you are always a treat and this is no exception

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcartoons View Post
Looks great. I love it, especially with the Anthracite Appearance and Graphics Packages.

I'm jealous of your abilities...
Thanks! The blue one with the Anthracite and Graphics Packages is the RSport I would spec out were such a car to exist. I'd probably prefer the 5-door, but apart from that, this was meant to be pretty much my ideal (practical everyday driving) car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
looks great, amazing colouring as always, I like the silver strip on the bottom of the windows, adds a touch of class. One thing that is bothering is the large lower air intake in the bumper, perhaps a bit too big?
Thanks for the feedback Ascariss. Concerning the lower air intake, as this is meant to be the sport model I felt the size was appropriate. But I have a tendency to subconsciously gloss over the flaws in my drawings until I look at them again a while later. So maybe when I look at this again in a couple months I'll agree with you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Yay! We finally see an RSport model! Looks fantastic, SV, certainly a worthy competitor to the GTI, et al. (although I say that with the disclaimer that this seems like a more compelling vehicle all around). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time we've seen the 3-door Icon, as well, and I like how you've given it a sleek look to the rear, as it's a nice counter to the imposing squared face. The taper of the window into the rear spoiler has an obvious Mk.3 Focus vibe to it, but again, it works well here.

The RSport details really set it off, too. The wheels are perfect, the new fascia is just aggressive enough (and you did a nice job with the subtle lip around the lower grille), and the lights beautifully done.

New models from you are always a treat and this is no exception
Glad to see you like it, though while flattered I dunno if I agree that this is better than the GTI!

The front end came out a bit more squared and imposing than I meant it to; on the other hand, my original sketch of the Icon Mk2 came out a bit too rounded in the front. My actual "vision" of this car, as it were, is probably somewhere in between.

This is the first time I've shown the 3-door Icon Mk2, though the Mk1 3-door has been around since 2003; there's a picture of the 2006-2009 model here.

Last edited by SV; 08-20-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

HOT HOT HOT.

I think the LED mirrors are a bit gimmicky, but I really like the styling of the front facia. The large, bold imposing grille are killer and make it look like it's going to literally EAT a Civic Si.

Make it a cross hair grille and sell it as a new Dodge.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 AM

Very nice! The car looks really nice. I like the side creases and the wheels really work well. The front end is appealing and distinctive. It's very good. :)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
HOT HOT HOT.

I think the LED mirrors are a bit gimmicky, but I really like the styling of the front facia. The large, bold imposing grille are killer and make it look like it's going to literally EAT a Civic Si.

Make it a cross hair grille and sell it as a new Dodge.
Thanks. It has a pretty aggressive design for a C-segment car, I suppose ;) It was meant to look Germanic, but I think the design would work well as a Dodge too. There was an internship program at Chrysler a while back that resulted in a design vaguely similar to the Icon:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...nship-program/

It wasn't an influence on my design as far as I can remember; I'm pretty sure I only saw it for the first time a year ago...but there are some interesting similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR Fanatic View Post
Very nice! The car looks really nice. I like the side creases and the wheels really work well. The front end is appealing and distinctive. It's very good. :)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm very satisfied with how the side surfacing and face turned out, more so than any of my other designs, though I've got some interesting stuff coming soon.

Last edited by SV; 08-19-2010 at 07:53 AM.