currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2019, 07:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2021 Hyundai Elantra

https://www.motor1.com/photos/692264...antra-gallery/

Spy shots of the next gen testing;

Definitely abandoning the currnet theme, and going for the now fashionable fastback/coupe sedan look (though not a hatchback, very likely); The greenhouse has hints of the Ioniq, though I'm not a fan of the fake 3rd window;

It also seems to grow a lot in length, probably the size of a Sonata of a generation or two ago, but the wheelbase seems a bit short, making for some huge overhangs (and IMO, together with the fastback look and greenhouse hints of 2nd gen Saab 900)...
Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Looks like a much sleeker version of the Jetta. Agree that the fake window cheapens things a bit, although the overall looks considerably more upscale, IMHO.

Do you think the car has something close to prod-spec wheel sizes? They seem awfully big an economy sedan (wonder if Hyundai will be creating a sporting version?).
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Do you think the car has something close to prod-spec wheel sizes? They seem awfully big an economy sedan (wonder if Hyundai will be creating a sporting version?).
I'd say yes. They've got the Hyundai logo on them and I don't recall seeing that design on other current models.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Crazy Composer!

TdeV is on a distinguished road

Fake window makes it an automatic no. Better luck next time..
Old 07-23-2019, 05:34 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

The fake plastic thing on the DLO looks obviously temporary. The strakes on it are interesting. Do they provide an aerodynamic benefit or it is just something structural?

I wonder too how "all-new" this will be given that the current "all-new" Elantra was largely a styling make over of the previous one.

I wonder too whether Hyundai will stick with 3 sedans (Accent/Elantra/Sonata). Sonata sales are collapsing. the Accent is dead for sales. The Elantra is their golden sedan for volume.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The fake plastic thing on the DLO looks obviously temporary. The strakes on it are interesting. Do they provide an aerodynamic benefit or it is just something structural?

I wonder too how "all-new" this will be given that the current "all-new" Elantra was largely a styling make over of the previous one.

I wonder too whether Hyundai will stick with 3 sedans (Accent/Elantra/Sonata). Sonata sales are collapsing. the Accent is dead for sales. The Elantra is their golden sedan for volume.
Is it temporary though? As you note it has some stylistic elements/strakes on it that suggest it's not just a placeholder. Or do you mean that the cheap black plastic is temporary and would be swapped out for a similar/higher quality trim piece at production time?

From the looks of it, this thing looks very different from the current and last gen Elantra, both in style and in size. I'd wager it's "all new" just like the new Sonata. It's also likely on the same underpinnings as the new Forte, which I think was also considered "all new."

The Venue is definitely taking the place of the Accent hatchback. I'd expect we won't see another generation of the sedan, so then it would just be the Elantra and Sonata in the lineup. I could be wrong though...

Last edited by pjl35; 07-23-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

$100 says that's a permanent trim piece on the DLO.

Those overhangs are wild though.

Let's see if they can redeem the utterly awful MMC for the current model. The new Sonata gives me hope.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Banned

The overhangs are not egregiously huge nor are they that much of a difference from the ones of the current car.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The overhangs are not egregiously huge nor are they that much of a difference from the ones of the current car.
What exactly are you smoking?

The rear overhang on the new one is clearly longer. It's nearly the length of the tire whereas it's only 2/3s that on the current model.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 AM
Banned

A couple of inches is NOT a huge increase.