CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 9,322
mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2020/21 BMW 5 Series (bimmer)

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/07/spi...k-on-next.html

With time moving on, the first mules/prototypes of the next 5 series are out. Although they claim that it wouldn't arrive until 2016/17, the state of the prototype (the body looks IMO rather final and not a glued together mule) makes me think that a 2015 debut would also not seem unrealistic. Apparently it will be lighter, it at least does look rather sleek (and IMO shape and proportions seem elegant), and the usual update on techno gizmos and hybrid powerplants can be expected...


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Reppu's Avatar
Reppu Reppu is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Madrid - Spain
Posts: 3,722
Reppu is on a distinguished road
Default

Way too soon for this, isn't it? Current gen was put on sale in early 2010 right? Given the financial situation at least here in Spain, this car has been a mega huge success for BMW so i don't understand the urgency to replace it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 26,067
swizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Way too soon for this, isn't it? Current gen was put on sale in early 2010 right? Given the financial situation at least here in Spain, this car has been a mega huge success for BMW so i don't understand the urgency to replace it.
This is EXACTLY what BMW should do and MUST do. The 5 series--arguably--is best in class and conventional wisdom would be to rest in the smugness of being the best. With Hyundai targeting (laugh if you must), Jaguar no doubt about to freshen the XF (dear God, please), the great new CTS, and Lexus now saying it's the new ultimate driving machine, BMW appears to be playing hardball. The segment has tough competition and BMW is showing that it refuses to concede any territory to anyone.

Now factor in perhaps some weight reduction? maybe a hybrid that gives a significant MPG improvement? an M5 that beats all previous editions?

Throw in some cues from the Pininfarina Gran Lusso that was co-developed with BMW...

This will be delicious.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 9,322
mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
This is EXACTLY what BMW should do and MUST do. The 5 series--arguably--is best in class and conventional wisdom would be to rest in the smugness of being the best. With Hyundai targeting (laugh if you must), Jaguar no doubt about to freshen the XF (dear God, please), the great new CTS, and Lexus now saying it's the new ultimate driving machine, BMW appears to be playing hardball. The segment has tough competition and BMW is showing that it refuses to concede any territory to anyone.
Exactly. Competition is out there, and moving quickly. And stuff like a proper Hybrid (the Current 5 series Hybrid is more a look we have one than a serious offering) is surely easier to be implemented in an all new model. Technology is moving quick nowadays, and with all these new modular platforms I guess we will see shorter model cycles anyway.

Plus the current 5 series appeared in late 2009, so by 2015 (in 2016 even 7 years), it would be 6 years old. About the same cycle the previous 3 series managed, e.g.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 26,067
swizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

And with the 5 an 7 so intertwined, the new 7 also running around is bound to be a dead on aim as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Andrus Andrus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 653
Andrus is on a distinguished road
Default 2016/17 BMW 5 Series

next gen 5 Series starts testing
__________________
NoWorkDay.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 9,322
mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default

More spyshots, similarly with still a lot of camo, but you can tell away the shape, most details and proportions rather well. Plus, that BMW is taking no risks and a rather evolutionary approach, resulting in even more elegant lines (as far as we can tell). Plus, we get to see the sedan as well...

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/spi...otypes-in.html



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Penang Kopi Boy Penang Kopi Boy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Penang Kopi Boy is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm not sure if it is just the angle of the photos, but the sedan looks like a longer wheel base than the estate. Comparing the shape of the rear door windows, and the length of the bottom of the door, they do seem different.

Anyone else getting bored by the looks of BMW?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 9,322
mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penang Kopi Boy View Post
I'm not sure if it is just the angle of the photos, but the sedan looks like a longer wheel base than the estate. Comparing the shape of the rear door windows, and the length of the bottom of the door, they do seem different.

Anyone else getting bored by the looks of BMW?
Good eyes :)

it does seem indeed longer, probably either a LWB China model, or even a 7 series? (the current 5 and 7 series are also related and look really similar at first glance)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM
exl500 exl500 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 584
exl500 is on a distinguished road
Default

I believe the sedan is the 7 series.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy