Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

I was referring more to the side and rear, especially the rear 3/4 quarter panel.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:22 AM
CSS Veteran

disap.ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well that did preview the new "pleasing the noveau riche" fat chrome grille already seen on Q7 and Q3 facelift (and IMO that's horrible in the flesh, like something form China), and teh generally slightly boxier approach to the same theme current Audi design.
I wholeheartly agree, which is a shame because it looked really promising on the concepts like the one above IMO.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road

Looks like it melted.
Maybe losing whatshisname to Kia is proving to be a problem.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Another poster linked to this in the other Q5 thread:
http://www.motor1.com/news/62905/201...ose-in-europe/

The interior better be a knockout, and it better drive way better, and it better be much lighter, b/c Audi (along w/ all the other German makes) are totally in a styling rut.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

It seems the discussion about Audi styling, to which we all agree, has been going on for 10 years now. I am tired of it, to be honest. This is what Audi does, we better get over it.

As for the car, it's obvious that they will do with the Q5 what they have done with the A4: same basic shape, slightly more sculpted detailing, and more refined aerodynamically. And as with the A4 it probably will be a big evolution in what really matters, just like Paranoidgarliclover said: interior and dynamics.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
...This is what Audi does, we better get over it...
Or buy something else that does not look so derivative and dull.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Or buy something else that does not look so derivative and dull.
Exactly. Last time i checked, buying an Audi was not an obligation.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I used to not be a Mercedes fan--and I am not saying I am now--but I do think Mercedes is the one to beat in the premium segment. If I were confined to European choices, it would be a Mercedes.

I'm not in the premium segment for anything, so this is academic at best, but I'd really consider a Cadillac or Lincoln. I have not seen the Cadillac XT5 in person, but I do like what I see in pictures. I did not like the Lincoln MKX in pictures, but it is quite attractive in person.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, it's not.... Which is why I'm partially confused as to why they don't do a better job w/ the exteriors. IMHO, car buyers in the U.S. aren't really that interested in driving dynamics or even w/ interiors as a whole (otherwise I think we'd all be driving current-gen Mazdas). So even though the driving dynamics and interiors get upgraded, most U.S. buyers are probably more interested in the exterior... Or, truth be told, w/ the badge (which is why the German makes can phone it in w/ the exterior design.... I find that to be disappointing, even if it totally makes business sense).

I don't mind evolutionary design changes at all. I love what Porsche has done w/ the 911. But for nearly EVERY car coming out of VW (since it's not just Audi) to look virtually identical to its predecessor, well.... I dunno; I think it's okay to criticize that.

I think Audi of all the German makes might be in for a rude awakening when Hyundai/Kia have a more fully fleshed out luxury lineup....
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
No, it's not.... Which is why I'm partially confused as to why they don't do a better job w/ the exteriors. IMHO, car buyers in the U.S. aren't really that interested in driving dynamics or even w/ interiors as a whole (otherwise I think we'd all be driving current-gen Mazdas).
Indeed. And that not only goes for US buyers. Sure, an Euro customer tends to say he is mroe obsessed, but truth is, 97% can't tell the fine advantages truly good driving machines (name Mazda, Ford, or VAG products - at least those MQB with IRS and adaptive dampers) have over cars that are slightly less sharp to drive (or at least Journalists love to scream), like a Hyundai, Toyota or say a "heavy weight Opel before the new Astra". If you don't tell them what it drives like, they are happy with the high level most nowadays cars offer.

But design is something that can be seen by most. Audi used to have a conservative but tasteful and cool design, that stood out also among VAG products. Currently, this advantage has nearly completely eroded away. Most Audi fans i know bought the cars for interior material quality and design. Nowadays most start the sentence "despite the looks I bought the new Audi A/Q something...".