There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Whoever added Ecosport to the thread title has it wrong. This model is larger than the Ecosport.

Plus the baby Bronco is definitely going to be priced above the EcoSport in all markets. EcoSport and the Ka+ (wherever it is sold) are catering for the budget conscious buyers. This small Bronco can be a semi-premium product for Ford across the globe.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Plus the baby Bronco is definitely going to be priced above the EcoSport in all markets. EcoSport and the Ka+ (wherever it is sold) are catering for the budget conscious buyers. This small Bronco can be a semi-premium product for Ford across the globe.
I guess the baby Bronco is a C-segment compact since it's based on the new Focus platform, this makes it one size class larger than the EcoSport.

The baby Bronco will probably sit alongside the Escape as a more traditional boxy SUV alternative.

Last edited by AM2; 11-19-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

I am hoping that they do NOT call it the Bronco Active as is being reported as likely the case. I'd resurrect the Maverick name. Bronco Active and a Bronco would be as lame as when Ford had the LTD and the LTD II. Also, the Third World special AKA Ecosport cannot be redone quickly enough. Sales are OKish, but ridding it of its low-rent atrocities like the side opening tailgate and so on would improve sales.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I am hoping that they do NOT call it the Bronco Active as is being reported as likely the case. I'd resurrect the Maverick name. Bronco Active and a Bronco would be as lame as when Ford had the LTD and the LTD II.
That doesn't make sense.
Ford's "Active" name usually means crossover variant of a car, like a Ka+ Active, Fiesta Active, and Focus Active.

Quote:
Also, the Third World special AKA Ecosport cannot be redone quickly enough. Sales are OKish, but ridding it of its low-rent atrocities like the side opening tailgate and so on would improve sales.
The facelifted EcoSport is actually doing well in Europe.
In September 2018, Ford sold 11,259 of its EcoSport, while Renault sold 14,663 of its Captur (the best selling model of the segment).
For comparison Jeep sold 4,462 of its Renegade and Honda sold 1,645 of its HR-V in the same month.

PS: It looks like the Upcoming Bronco will have what you call "low-rent atrocities like the side opening tailgate"
Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
That doesn't make sense.
Ford's "Active" name usually means crossover variant of a car, like a Ka+ Active, Fiesta Active, and Focus Active...PS: It looks like the Upcoming Bronco will have what you call "low-rent atrocities like the side opening tailgate"
Ford doesn't use "Active" in the USA, but Chevrolet DID show a Spark Activ concept car. The side-opening tailgate renders the tailgate unable to be opened in some common parking situations. The ONLY reason side-opening tailgates exist is to not have to pay for the two gas struts to hold the hatch open.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Ford doesn't use "Active" in the USA, but Chevrolet DID show a Spark Activ concept car.
Is there any news report on this?
The only to names linked to the baby Bronco is Maverick and the recently trademark registered "Puma" name (in Australia) because Ford did not renew the old "Maverick" name there.

Quote:
The side-opening tailgate renders the tailgate unable to be opened in some common parking situations. The ONLY reason side-opening tailgates exist is to not have to pay for the two gas struts to hold the hatch open.
The reason for the side opening tailgate is so the door can also hold the spare tire (when equipped).
The EcoSport was developed from the beginning to be an all-wheel drive vehicle, the rear differential and Independent rear suspension occupy the space where the spare tire well would be in a Fiesta.

Same case goes for off-roaders like the Wrangler and upcoming Bronco. no space under the floor, plus with off-road tires usually being 245mm and wider, the only place to put it is outside on the door.

The European press once made a big deal about the side opening rear door of the EcoSport, consumers don't seem to mind, EcoSport seems to be inching its way closer to the top selling French small SUVs.

I know the most common scenario motoring journalists from the UK and US use against side opening doors is what if you go shopping in a mall/supermarket/grocery and you have tons of stuff to load and you are parallel parked in a tight space. Out of curiosity, how often does this happen?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

I've read that "Timberline" is also a recently trademarked Ford name that might be applied to this vehicle.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I know the most common scenario motoring journalists from the UK and US use against side opening doors is what if you go shopping in a mall/supermarket/grocery and you have tons of stuff to load and you are parallel parked in a tight space. Out of curiosity, how often does this happen?
Quite often, particularly as there are other scenarios that make it a big annoyance. My dad had an '05 CR-V with the side opening rear and the other huge headache is trying to open the rear when you have it parked in the garage with the garage door closed (it wasn't able to open fully in that scenario, so you'd either have to just open it a crack or open up the garage door if you had to get something out of the back).
Old 11-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is there any news report on this?...The reason for the side opening tailgate is so the door can also hold the spare tire (when equipped)....
Don't be lazy. Google Chevy Spark Activ.

#BS on the door. I owned a real Jeep Cherokee and the tire was mounted inside the vehicle with no untoward effect.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Don't be lazy. Google Chevy Spark Activ.

#BS on the door. I owned a real Jeep Cherokee and the tire was mounted inside the vehicle with no untoward effect.
Technically it is possible in larger SUVs, the Cherokees I know had it upright at the side of the load area, where it needs not much, but still some space; In shorter (3 door) BOF cars (or, like it is the case with the Eco Sport), a full size spare won#t simply fit under or inside the load bay length wise, or under it, as there is space required for a rear differential,so the most convenient position is on the back door, also for accessibility.

As the EcoSPort - unlike most small CUVs - was initially developed for markets with bad roads, where a full size spare is kind of a requirement for any rugged vehicle, this "proper SUV" looking item was chosen, incl. the side opening trunk (I don't know any regular opening door with a spare on it, likely for weight reasons, as pulling a door hold up with struts supporting that extra weight would probably require to be called Dwayne Johnson), another remnant from the EcoSPort not being initially targeted at Western markets, just like it's initial interior plastics, rough ride etc....

After all, most small CUVs nowadays come with a tire flat kit or a small space saver...