CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,909
pjl35 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
Patience ;)
I lost patience once the wait time lasted longer than the normal life cycle of a vehicle would. If the Grand Wagoneer had debuted in 2012 let's say, it would already be do for replacement.
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 PM
MrMGMan MrMGMan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 392
MrMGMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The lack of platform utilization is staggering, given how Fiat is (together with Chrysler and it'S K-Car) among the pioneers of car platforms (over use); the FIat 128 platform basically spawned a lot of cars (up until the first Seat Ibiza), then the TIpo 4 also used by Saab and the Fiat Tipo platform was up until today's standard super flexible, with various dimensions, front and rear suspension designs and basing basically everything from the late 80ies to mid 2000s that Fiat produced back then; And nowadays, they seem to be rather slow at putting new hats on existing platforms, for whatever reasons, as it can't be such a financial task to redress a Giulia, Stelvio or Jeep Compass for other brands (VAG seems to manage approx. 2 new MQB CUVs every week)...
If FCA was to spend money on developing new cars, it would torpedo their expertly maintained illusion of profitability.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM
swizzle swizzle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 26,216
swizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMGMan View Post
If FCA was to spend money on developing new cars, it would torpedo their expertly maintained illusion of profitability.
The irony is that pulling a Charger and Challenger off the Giulia would be CHEAP to do AND given how popular those models are, a new one could enhance sales. That would have produced a revenue bump. The Grand Cherokee similarly would not be a clean sheet design, but rather a Jeep-ized version of Giorgio. I've always said that FCA is cash poor while everyone has been crowing how robust they are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,202
IcedG35 is on a distinguished road
Default

why this is the one car that actually made good business sense not to replace earlier:

Total US Sales:

2019: 247,000 (annualized 103k through May)
2018: 224.908
2017: 240.696
2016: 212.704
2015: 195.958
2014: 183.786
2013: 174.275
2012: 154.734
2011: 127.744

Having owned a 2016, it really is a great SUV and hardly felt dated relative to anything newer in the same price category. the new ones have Apple Car play, which is really all you need to feel like you have a modern infotainment.

Last edited by IcedG35; 06-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 PM
MrMGMan MrMGMan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 392
MrMGMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The irony is that pulling a Charger and Challenger off the Giulia would be CHEAP to do AND given how popular those models are, a new one could enhance sales. That would have produced a revenue bump. The Grand Cherokee similarly would not be a clean sheet design, but rather a Jeep-ized version of Giorgio. I've always said that FCA is cash poor while everyone has been crowing how robust they are.
A company that maintains its profitability by refusing to invest in new products is anything but robust.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:47 AM
swizzle swizzle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 26,216
swizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMGMan View Post
A company that maintains its profitability by refusing to invest in new products is anything but robust.
And that is what I have been saying for quite a long time here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,909
pjl35 is on a distinguished road
Default

Spied again (not "for the first time" obviously as Motor1 says):

https://www.motor1.com/news/363517/2...herokee-spied/
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-06-2019, 02:13 PM
swizzle swizzle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 26,216
swizzle is on a distinguished road
Default

The move to the Giorgio platform troubles me. Will that architecture and related components bring to the Grand Cherokee the same horrific reliability issues?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 9,539
mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The move to the Giorgio platform troubles me. Will that architecture and related components bring to the Grand Cherokee the same horrific reliability issues?
Not sure, in Europe the reliability issues mostly revolve around the infotainment (which likely the Jeep won't share, but get the U-Connect system in other Jeeps), and some Quadrofoglio related stuff like drive modes and electric suspension, which the GC won't share likely either; That said, the GC doesn't seem to have exactly a Toyota image in terms of reliability either, and still seems hugely popular (incl. Europe, unlike say the Ford Edge), so probably the average owner is not expecting an absolutely flawless vehicle anyway.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,202
IcedG35 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Not sure, in Europe the reliability issues mostly revolve around the infotainment (which likely the Jeep won't share, but get the U-Connect system in other Jeeps), and some Quadrofoglio related stuff like drive modes and electric suspension, which the GC won't share likely either; That said, the GC doesn't seem to have exactly a Toyota image in terms of reliability either, and still seems hugely popular (incl. Europe, unlike say the Ford Edge), so probably the average owner is not expecting an absolutely flawless vehicle anyway.....
yeah quality has never been the GC's strong point. however, it does almost everything else very well. U-Connect seems to has resolved all of it's issues (I went from a 2015 GC to a 2018 Wrangler), although the menus are definitely not has as fluid and well thought out as German systems.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy