Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 02:24 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQS

Some interesting first shots of the EQS wearing relatively light camo.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/20...an-be-worried/

Some aggressive molding in place trying to fool us, but the shape and proportions underneath are really nice. I am worried the face will get hit with the ugly stick thanks to the EQC. I don't understand the need for awkward horizontal slats to jam their way into such flowing body work.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Agreed on all fronts. I’m excited for this and the overall shape/proportions look unlike anything we’ve seen in production form from MB before...but that grille might ruin it all.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Agreed on all fronts. Im excited for this and the overall shape/proportions look unlike anything weve seen in production form from MB before...but that grille might ruin it all.
I'm very glad that MB - unlike the Audi e-Tron line of cars - is trying to use the flexibility of EVs (and especially that the engines need very little space) to not make them look like a petrol car, but try something else, modern, futuristic; Hell, what if it does not come with a fake engine cover under the hood and hints of fake exhausts ;)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Giant hatchback = giant ugly

It should have been something majestic.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

I have mixed feelings. I'm glad MB is taking a chance and making this look distinctly different from the rest of its offerings (how un-Germanic).

OTOH, I think this is really ugly. Reminds me of the F700 concept from many yrs ago. Never saw that car in-person, but it looks really ungainly in photos. Cab-forward proportions on a gigantic and expensive hatchback are not attractive, IMHO.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'm very glad that MB - unlike the Audi e-Tron line of cars - is trying to use the flexibility of EVs (and especially that the engines need very little space) to not make them look like a petrol car, but try something else, modern, futuristic; Hell, what if it does not come with a fake engine cover under the hood and hints of fake exhausts ;)
the EQC is basically a GLC in profile. this would be better if the front wheels were another 6 inches forward

Last edited by IcedG35; 07-26-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
the EQC is basically a GLC in profile. this would be better if the front wheels were another 6 inches forward
I agree, but the EQC was basically not much more than a GLC with a different front end, a stop gap production: This to me is their first proper EV from scratch, that is why I applaud them for trying something new; And using the liberties that EVs give to designers...
Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I agree, but the EQC was basically not much more than a GLC with a different front end, a stop gap production: This to me is their first proper EV from scratch, that is why I applaud them for trying something new; And using the liberties that EVs give to designers...
Yes, I'm really looking forward to more progressive designs regarding proportions as EVs start becoming more stand alone instead of ICE platform mods.

The 3 box/elongated hood look just doesn't make the most practical sense. I predict safety issues will keep it going for awhile though.

This looks interesting because the hood and trunk are so short. Starting to reach into Jetsons aesthetic finally haha
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 PM

shiakas_ is on a distinguished road

Aerodynamics alone dictate that the three box shape has had its days design wise.
The rising of the hood makes tires look tiny and the rear window keeps creeping rearwards to the point where it now makes much more sense to give saloons a hatchback.
Time to leap ahead.
Whatever they do with the 3 box shape, they wont come close to the w126 anyway.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

The argument could be made to focus less on aerodynamics and more on style as cars lapse into generic ugly sameness. The EQS will be another Jaguar XJ disaster i.e. a huge hatchback shape that people avoid like an STD.