There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY
Default talbot to make a comeback!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/234778/

Isn't the idea of low cost motoring already embodied by Citroen? This makes NO sense lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocar.co.uk
Peugeot-Citroen may resurrect the Talbot badge for a series of low-cost cars, the French press has reported.

The sources say that PSA is considering building a range of back-to-basics vehicles in developing nations, which would then be imported for sale in western European markets.

According to the newspaper reports, PSA would like to enter the budget car market, but does not want to tarnish its existing brands by using them on a low-cost car.

PSA has also seen the success of Renault's Dacia project, which has seen three different models based on the old-model Clio, go into production around the world, as well as being a sales success in western Europe. Renault claims that eventually 1 million Dacias could be built each year.

The project plans are said not be well advanced, with the idea still at "consideration" stage. It's possible that the low-cost car project will eventually replace the Toyota-based Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1.

The history of the Talbot brand is long and complex. It was originally applied to imported French cars in 1905 by a British company, which was financially underpinned by Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury.

The British Rootes group took the name over in 1935 and combined to Sunbeam-Talbot in 1938. The Talbot badge was also simultaneously in use in France as Talbot-Lago. Simca bought the brand in 1958 and Chrysler took over Simca in 1967.

In 1978 Peugeot took over the Chrylser Europe operation and revived the Talbot name to create the re-badged Talbot Horizon hatch, Talbot Samba (based on the Peugeot 104) and the large boxy Talbot Tagora executive car.

Talbot cars died off in 1986 although a Talbot Express van lived on until 1992.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a sub-Citroen brand... they say a new Talbot would take the place of the C1 and 107. Still, you're right, is it really necessary?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury
If ever there were a quintessential British name/title, that is it.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
If ever there were a quintessential British name/title, that is it.
Lol!

well my dad wanted to call me 'Isambard' after the great bridge designer.

And my dads name... Malcolm Hugh Ramsey Clark.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 AM

I would welcome a Talbot comeback !!

If only for the memories i have from the brand and Citroen, while they offered huge discounts for years to shift more cars, has been trying to move away from the bargain-basement floor for a few years now. (see the push upmarket with the C6 and new C5) so there could be room for a more basic brand underneath i think.

....and my username would feel happy (Talbot Horizon)

If anything even though the brand miserably failed (Thanks Peugeot!) Talbots had quite an upmarket feel about them, they usually offered velours/leather seats with all the latest gadgets that you wouldnt see in the segment at the time.

Still, i thought i'd never live to see the day Talbot would make a comeback so i'll take it in wichever incarnation they decide to re-package it.

Last edited by Horizon; 09-14-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Me too! I think the UK needs another budget brand, with Hyundai and Kia going all upmarket.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM

Yay, 2 people in the petition already.....
Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Raconteur

The idea of an ultra-basic line of small cars at low prices could work in NA because the standard of living here would allow more than a few to drive a cheapo car during the work week and the much more engaging though probably less fuel efficient vehicle on the weekends. I've always liked the Logan because it reminds me of the razor sharp Jetta I.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Hell yeah, me too!

(I think I tell you something about myself first. Im 22 years old girl and i live in Finland. My english is not very good, but try to understand. )

I remember when I was child and my pharents had two talbot horizons. I loved that grey horizon which we had. Some idiot stole it and I was so bitter. I said that when im old enough im gonna by myself my own talbot!

And i bought talbot, its red, -85, gl model, and no rust at all and its best car i can wish. In the winter when it was 30 dergees cold, my car always take me there were i wanted, and still does. Everybody was teasin on me caus of my car. I said that I will buy a new car when new talbot arriwes and everybody said that im stupid. But if new model comes, I`M REALLY GONNA BUY IT **** YEAH.

so im waiting.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I had no idea the Talbot brand/rights belonged to PSA!

And it also puzzles me that, on one hand, they speak of reviving Talbot as a Dacia fighter (!) and on the other the mention that this possible new Talbot might replace the C1/107. If they plant on resurrecting Talbot as a really cheap, low-cost brand for developing countries (!) why would they also incorporate those models into their regular Peugeot-Citroen line-up? I mean isn't that what they mean by eventually replacing the C1/107 with them?
If the wanted a proper Dacia rivaling brand they should have used the Xsara and Xsara Picasso for starters, IMO. The Xsara is a tough small car and its also old so it would make more sense for a Dacia Logan type vehicle. The Xsara Picasso could also be sold, using the Talbot name again, and different sheet metal. I mean aren't the 2 most important criteria for such a developing market car to be tought,cheap & reliable? And Renault uses their older models to achieve that.
I'm kinda confused here cause i don't see the C1/107 connection!
Plus i also think that Talbot could have been given the VAG-Skoda treatment if PSA wanted to, instead of becoming a below-cheap brand

MAKE
MINE
FORD