Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Raconteur

Suddenly I'm beginning to think GM may be in for an implosion if they don't do a One GM strategy. The GM Korea products (Sonic and Spark) look worlds ahead in styling and quite frankly, I'd rather have Sonic than this Opel.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Suddenly I'm beginning to think GM may be in for an implosion if they don't do a One GM strategy. The GM Korea products (Sonic and Spark) look worlds ahead in styling and quite frankly, I'd rather have Sonic than this Opel.
As far as reviews go, the reworked Corsa seems to be on top of the segment in terms of refinement and interior quality, plus the new engine line up is up with the best now finally, at least in the petrol department, but in small cars, Diesels are not really a topic.

As it is not sold in the US, I can compare it to the European Sonic/AVeo, and honestly, I can't say anything where the Sonic would particularly outshine the Corsa, it feels less refined to drive (you can tell it employs less sound isulation), employs cheaper interior materials, and the engine line up is less competitive. The course is among the most spacious offerings, so again, not really anything for the Aveo/Sonic to shine. Pricing wasn't that great either, though now with the axe of Chevrolet in Europe you might make a deal (infcat, that was the major problem of most Chevrolets in Europe, a perceived cheaper Opel/Vauxhall for not much less money, only Captiova and the Orlando Minivan significantly undercut their Opel siblings - plus the Captiva offered optional 7 seats - so they sold in somehow respectable figure, as did the Spark, mostly because it's very cheap. But Sonic, Cruze, Traxx and Malibu are priced close - or sometimes even above their Opel sister cars, and sometimes had less options available.

What however, makes no sense is that GM keeps two separate platforms of basically the same size alive, with all the 2 R&D budgets. Even if the Sonic is not the best supermini to start form in terms of NVH or handling (not the worst either), but so wasn't the Fiat Punto, where the Corsa has it's routes, and Opel still came up with serious improvements. I'm sure that instead of putting all that money into refreshing the Corsa, a bit polishing up the Sonic, giving it a fresh body and thus unifying future R&D budgets would have made more sense.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Raconteur

Of course it's less refined. Only the European products of European brands have any refinement or sophistication.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Of course it's less refined. Only the European products of European brands have any refinement or sophistication.
The Cruze is more or less the same as the Astra, same PF, same engines. But the Sonic/Aveo does feel cheaper than a Corsa, but also than a Kia RIo and Ford Fiesta. The Spark has been updated for the US e.g., probably so the Sonic. But here it's widely regarded as a mediocre car at best, with other cars offering beetr value for the same money. Stuff like previous generation Opel engines , so so gear change and brittle feeling interior are not up to the level here, thus the Aveo failed to sell outside Eastern Europe. As said, Cruze, Malibu are better (well, sharing platform and majority of engines with their Opel counterpart) but fail to generate a cost adavantage over an Opel which will have better residuals

But no one has to agree, however there might be some logic in GM bringing Opels as Buciks to the US, and not as Chevys. Probably they did think about theior internal positioning of brands....

Last edited by mick78; 07-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/new...corsa-vxr.html

The OPC is here. now with 210hp

Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Raconteur

BUICK! You need this.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/new...pc-expose.html

A bit more info and pics, including the interior. The good news is, that a mechanical limited slip diff (so a real one!) is available as part of the OPC performance pack. Which should make this seriously quick (207hp, LSD, small). I guess a Fiesta ST will still be more fun and more playful, but this will be way more fast on a track I suppose.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/vau...-with-new.html