Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm pretty sure that has mainly cost reasons, as drilling a whole in metal is cheaper than drilling it in glass. And the an asymmetrical design is easier in achieving a larger "clean field".
Old 07-17-2014, 02:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'm pretty sure that has mainly cost reasons, as drilling a whole in metal is cheaper than drilling it in glass. And the an asymmetrical design is easier in achieving a larger "clean field".
Oh I'm sure it is cheaper. Like I said, it's just a personal pet-peeve of mine. You'd think, though, that if asymmetry really improved the "clean field" that much, that you would see it on a lot of vehicles, but it's usually only at the lower end of the market these days. The only other brand new hatches I've seen it on are the Versa Note, Fit, Mirage, and Yaris.

Last edited by pjl35; 07-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

It's not a cost cutting measure, it's a clean field measure. It's not always practical to have the wiper in the direct center
Old 07-17-2014, 04:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
It's not a cost cutting measure, it's a clean field measure. It's not always practical to have the wiper in the direct center
I won't press this further because I don't want things to get too off-topic.

If it's all about clean-field, you'd think we would see it across the board (either on smaller rear glass vehicles or those with larger rear glass). Why don't we then?

Anyway, back to things about the car that actually matter lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Some designs don't dictate a larger clean field. Usually small cars have tall and narrow rear glass which calls for an asymmetrical wiper setup.

I think this profile is bad. I'm worried for the yaris, which has used good interior room as a selling point...the Yaris is going to be tight inside.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Raconteur

This is a quantum leap in styling over the current hideous road tumor Mazda2. I predict it will sell astonishingly well. The Fit, Note, and Fiesta are varying degrees of garish looking whereas this looks tailored and upscale. A "GTI" version would be especially delightful to contemplate.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:42 PM

Default Round Vents, Interior Space, Mazdaspeed2 Version...

Having lived with my Mazda6 Sportwagon, with manual trans, for the last 10+ years I have not found a reason to replace it; because Mazda stopped importing the wagon. With my kids getting closer to leaving the nest every day, the 2 really intrigues me. I would love an AWD Mazdaspeed2 with Skyactiv Turbo-Diesel and proper 6-speed manual.

That said, my Mazda6 still handles/stops/accelerates better than most cars in its class today and gives the higher brands fits when running back roads, etc. It is very satisfying to drive and the styling has aged very well, along with the addition of Mazdaspeed3 rims. ;)

My biggest problem with the round vents and asymmetric design is that, while in practice/concept the round vent looks cool/classic, it does not lend itself to great airflow. My Mazda6 is full of them and they are very hard to get perfect airflow, with a very narrow flow. If Mazda has widened the airflow they should be fine.

Interior space is where this car may be a no go for me. As some have mentioned the long hood and dash proportions, these may not lend to good cabin space, at least for the back seat. As uninspired as the Fit is, it is Cavernous, with basically 40" legroom front and back! If Honda ever did an Si version with manual, it could be tempting.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://autoc-one.jp/news/1976278/
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Raconteur

should sell like mad
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM
CSS Veteran

The sedan is handsome, in a class where four-doors usually look like afterthoughts compared to their five-door counterparts (Kia Rio being the lone exception till now).

Mazda would be crazy not to bring the sedan here.