Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 View Post
The Miata from the beginning was designed to be a cheap no-frills roadster that you can have fun with. It was never designed to be a barnstorming 300hp roadster. So it remains true to the original philosophy while keeping up with modern design language of Mazda.
The problem is that the chassis can easily handle more power. Of course Mazda can continue building the Miata for its power phobic clients, but at an annual rate of sales in NA of 5-6,000 units, it clearly is a sales failure. Offering a Miata with some real power and an upgraded suspension could easily double sales.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I want to like it.l really do. I love how low it is...but the lights mess it up. I love the dramatic rear - but the lights (again ruin it)... The wheels seem overly small as well...

I'm not sold
Ditto. The lights front and back are not doing it for me. Too low and wide in the front, the back looks like a mash-up of Jaguar and Alfa. Not really a bad thing, but no longer a unique character. Looking at the pictures shown so far, the car really shows well when the camera is no higher than waist high. Otherwise, the front bulges really do not picture well and show off its massiveness.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Infiniti Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The problem is that the chassis can easily handle more power. Of course Mazda can continue building the Miata for its power phobic clients, but at an annual rate of sales in NA of 5-6,000 units, it clearly is a sales failure. Offering a Miata with some real power and an upgraded suspension could easily double sales.
It maybe a sales failure in NA, but it is the best selling two-seat roadster of all time. It's not being power phobic at all to want to buy a Mazda Miata and calling it's owners and potential buyers power phobic is a insult. The car is all about balance and if it were to be given a power boost it would disrupt this balance and ruin it. The Miata has and never will be about power it will always be the fun excitement and the wind in your air and finding a nice twisty road and having a blast. In my mind the Miata or MX-5 doesn't need more power because the car is pretty much perfect.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 View Post
It maybe a sales failure in NA, but it is the best selling two-seat roadster of all time. It's not being power phobic at all to want to buy a Mazda Miata and calling it's owners and potential buyers power phobic is a insult. The car is all about balance and if it were to be given a power boost it would disrupt this balance and ruin it. The Miata has and never will be about power it will always be the fun excitement and the wind in your air and finding a nice twisty road and having a blast. In my mind the Miata or MX-5 doesn't need more power because the car is pretty much perfect.
It isn't a sales failure in North America. It sells just fine and is on target for the market and what Mazda wants the car to sell.

Swizzle has no clue what he's talking about.

This car is EVEN SMALLER than the NA Miata, which was a petite car in 1989, and looks absolutely tiny in person in today's world.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Miata's were never meant to be a barn burner for speed. They're fine for what they are - inexpensive drop top that offers superior handling with adequate power.

The last 'barn burner' for Mazda was the RX8 - and it clocked at 24K during it's peak (which compared to about 16K for Miata).

This doesn't mean that more power = more sales. It means that the markets for each product are unique. There are lots of reasons it doesn't sell more...it's too small (I'm 6'2 and can't fit into it), I doubt the trunk would hold 2 sets of golf clubs and it's simply not practical for every day use. It's clearly a niche product.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
Great work Mazda, and now all we have to wait for is the Alfa Spyder!
Marchionne has already stated that the FCA version will not be branded Alfa, as his (latest, bound to change another hundred times) plan is that all Alfas will be built in Italy. The rumor is that it may come out as a FIAT. If they slap the 500 face on it I will never consider a Fiat/Alfa again.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM
CSS Veteran

Ew. That looks like a lot of things--BMW Z4 here, Honda S2000 there, Aston Martin-esque taillights--but nothing about it says Miata to me.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:17 AM

It's growing on me. Not a massive fan of the head- and taillights. Looks terrible in pictures taken in a lower perspective (press pictures), but when viewed from a higher vantage point, it looks gorgeous.

It looks more like a continuation of the second generation roadster, which looks a bit more grown up as opposed to the first gen and current gen. Dunno, I personally prefer the cutesy look of the first and current gen as I think it suits the character of the car pretty well. Not everything needs a menacing and aggressive design...!

But apart from that, it looks pretty terrific. It does sort of look like a baby F-Type from behind, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

The press photos don't seem to do the car any favours.

That said, some of the display shots (one of the car had 17 inch wheels) made the car look much better.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
The press photos don't seem to do the car any favours.

That said, some of the display shots (one of the car had 17 inch wheels) made the car look much better.
I did notice as well that it does look better in display shots, and bigger wheels help a lot, too. Also, in "live" shots it seems to have both more "Miata" as well as more "Masculine" in it's design. The front end, however, still doesn't do it for me.

Still, it could be one of those cars that work really better in flesh...