Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Raconteur

Interesting development on the FCA Miata:

Fiat 124 Spider

It appears the FCA Miata could pop up as a Fiat 124 Spider. Left Lane seems flummoxed as to why FCA trademarked 124 and 124 Spider. I think it could be a simple as a non-convertible coupe version aimed at the FRS/BRZ/GT86.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Interesting development on the FCA Miata:

Fiat 124 Spider

It appears the FCA Miata could pop up as a Fiat 124 Spider. Left Lane seems flummoxed as to why FCA trademarked 124 and 124 Spider. I think it could be a simple as a non-convertible coupe version aimed at the FRS/BRZ/GT86.
The rumors that the Miata will pop up as a FIat/Abarth Spider instead of Alfa have been around very long, and actually seing how petite the new Miata is, it makes sense, especially given that they try to move Alfa upmarket and developing a own sprtscar based of tehir RWD Pf makes sense.

However, the registration of both names is an interesting development, actually a small coupe would be a nobrainer, given all teh hardware is there, and even if they just glue a rroof on a "overstrong " covertible cahsis, the Miata is still very light to start form. 1 ton, fixed roof and a nice sounding Fiat Turbo engine mated with Japanese electrics and general sturdiness? At FIat prices? Doesn't sound too bad.....
Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 AM
The Lurker

On the topic of the Miata itself, I was actually thinking about it today as I browsed online and decided I just plain don't like the design of it. The front is flat out a fish face. The headlights look awkward and squinty. There's some weird lines up front that make it look more like a kit car or something a kid sketched in his notebook.

the rear is bland and sorta dated looking already. I guess I was caught up in the hype of it actually releasing a few months ago, but now I see it as just a big disappointment. I'd even call it the worst looking Mazda in their current lineup and it's surprising since you'd expect it to be the best as it's sort of their halo car right now.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The rumors that the Miata will pop up as a FIat/Abarth Spider instead of Alfa have been...However, the registration of both names is an interesting development, actually a small coupe would be a nobrainer, given all teh hardware is there, and even if they just glue a rroof on a "overstrong " covertible cahsis, the Miata is still very light to start form. 1 ton, fixed roof and a nice sounding Fiat Turbo engine mated with Japanese electrics and general sturdiness? At FIat prices? Doesn't sound too bad.....
For me, I saw it as a step in the right direction because the project was to be branded an Abarth which has ZERO meaning in NA. The 124 Spider has good memories for people my age because it was reliable--relative to Alfas and MGs--and has an ardent following even today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
On the topic of the Miata itself, I was actually thinking about it today as I browsed online and decided I just plain don't like the design of it. The front is flat out a fish face. The headlights look awkward and squinty. There's some weird lines up front that make it look more like a kit car or something a kid sketched in his notebook.

the rear is bland and sorta dated looking already. I guess I was caught up in the hype of it actually releasing a few months ago, but now I see it as just a big disappointment. I'd even call it the worst looking Mazda in their current lineup and it's surprising since you'd expect it to be the best as it's sort of their halo car right now.
I have to agree.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Kinda excited to hear of the 124 return. Family friend had one when I was a kid.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Kinda excited to hear of the 124 return. Family friend had one when I was a kid.
Indeed and if it has gotta have styling, it will sell. Throw in the 4C's engine (237hp) vs the Miata's anemic 160 or thereabouts horsepower and it will be a true delight.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 PM

If Fiat comes out with an Abarth 124 Coupé and with the 1.8l TBI, GT86 will have a good rival. But knowing FIAT, they car will not handle as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If Fiat comes out with an Abarth 124 Coupé and with the 1.8l TBI, GT86 will have a good rival. But knowing FIAT, they car will not handle as well.
The GT86 is not a "great" handler. It's designed for excitement not grip. Thus, it's tail happy and drifts easily rather than delivering excellent grip. Fun to drive? Yes. The Holy Grail of handling? No.

The Miata handles well, but it desperately needs 250hp.

That is possible with the Alfa engine.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/tur...-on-table.html

Swizzle might like this - apparently, a MPS version with "way more power" is in works for the new MX5, not yet decided if it will get a 2,5l tuned up engine or a smaller Turbo, but speculations go in direction of a turbo engine for keeping the 50/50 weight distribution. In my eyes a Turbo also makes more sense given the Fiat version will use turbo engines anyway (1.4 MultiAir in various stages of tune and most rumors suggest the 1,75 TBi from the Alfa 4C as well), so more development could be shared...
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Horsepower aside...months later, I look at this design and say, yup - still doesn't work for me.

The have the corporate face...all their other cars are things of beauty....how could they screw this up?