Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 AM

I'll reserve final judgment until I see one in the flesh, but I don't think this is very promising. If it's low slung, it might work (the original Audi A5 looked really boring in pics but fantastic in person; it only worked b/c it was so low).

IMHO, the car looks like it's already due for a facelift. The headlights look like a mangled version of the Porsche Cayenne and the horizontal talight is really kind of amateurish. Are the tailights actually smoked (horror)?

The broad swath of horizontal dash is crying out for some sort of trim or stitching to break it up. The door panels are also very spartan.

Nice steering wheel and instrumentation. And great name. Hopefully it drives well and is priced right (i.e., starting in the mid-$30,000 for the base trim). Otherwise, I don't give it much of a chance....

Edit: looks better (IMHO) in the non-studio shots (where it bears a resemblance to a Ghibli)
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...-three-quarter

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 01-09-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm speechless. This looks stunning. Trunk opening might be on the small side, but that's my only worry. More info please.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:21 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
. I don't like how Kia has reversed their sharp-edge design language from the last gen Optima to the more rounded one here and among their other cars.
Ford made the F-150 more rounded in the front, and you're impressed. But when KIA does it, it's awful?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 AM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Ford made the F-150 more rounded in the front, and you're impressed. But when KIA does it, it's awful?
Because I'm not partial to sharp or rounded, only design consistency?

The F150 is marginally if even slightly "more rounded." What makes it better is the interplay of the headlights and grille actually working now.

I have expressed the same opinion about recent Kias as I did when the refreshed Optima debuted. They've been evolving their cars in the wrong direction imo (Hyundai as well to a degree). What I appreciated from the old Optima was the crispness of its lines and detailing. Hyundai managed the swoopy and Kia controlled the hard-edged modern. They're merging too close to one another now while maintaining the same market spaces.

This design is growing on me (and I already liked it), but I think it'd be more successful if it had stayed closer to the concept (which is admittedly more rounded and bubbly) or embraced the hard-edged look.
One of Kia's biggest hurdles is coming off as a unique brand, not just an imitator, and there's just a lot of DNA from other companies in this unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The exterior is stunning; the interior looks sharp; great name; and sounds like a promising drivetrain with rear wheel drive. I'm in love so far. Hopefully it's a great drive and not overpriced to give it very chance of success.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM

This could be my next car. I don't like the brown interior with the t bar shifter though.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Looks better in white. My only issue is the awkward fender vent and the character line from its top.

Sorry, won't let me upload the photo, and I don't recall the link.

Edit: These weren't the photos I saw, but here it is in white;

http://www.motor1.com/photo/1752503/...-detroit-2017/

Last edited by exl500; 01-10-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 PM

The Stinger (I am loving this name BTW – I thought all the brilliant names were gone) breaks the record in terms of meticulousness in both exterior and interior designs. Almost at the level of ‘perfection’; (almost) ALL of the lines in this design makes sense to me. Very integrating and very satisfying.

Except one: the navigation screen MUST NOT be a screen in a frame format. I don’t know why Kia/Hyundai are continuing to do this this when all other manufacturers have already been doing the iPad form factor (ONE piece glass covering over BOTH the screen AND the frame so that it looks larger and more substantial especially when it is turned off.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyster View Post
the navigation screen MUST NOT be a screen in a frame format. I don’t know why Kia/Hyundai are continuing to do this this when all other manufacturers have already been doing the iPad form factor (ONE piece glass covering over BOTH the screen AND the frame so that it looks larger and more substantial especially when it is turned off.
this is the main thing i can't look past on the interior...particularly in this instance.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
this is the main thing i can't look past on the interior...particularly in this instance.
At least there are no buttons around the tab, like in the Rio or the new Hyundai i30