Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 06:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Correct (which is what I had already said). I assume MB has better data about their highest wealth clients than either of us.... And the folks who buy the E-wagon are some of their highest wealth clients (which is why they continue to offer that model here).... And it doesn't offer a V8 in the mainstream model.

Then clearly American sales aren't enough to propel V8s to worldwide popularity since it seems that all manfacturers are abandoning V8 in most "affordable" models (and, for the Europeans, in most cars < $60000).... ::shrug::
your initial assertion is correct... sadly sales are hardly enough to propel V8s in America for most cars let alone internationally. if MPG tests were more realistic, it would be clear that real world MPG for a V8 and turbo-V6 aren't that far off in any situation where you actually want V8 power. but as long as V6 come out on top in the MPG chart, manufacturers have no choice but just advertise HP and forget the cylinder count.

Last edited by IcedG35; 10-02-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
your initial assertion is correct... sadly sales are hardly enough to propel V8s in America for most cars let alone internationally. if MPG tests were more realistic, it would be clear that real world MPG for a V8 and turbo-V6 aren't that far off in any situation where you actually want V8 power. but as long as V6 come out on top in the MPG chart, manufacturers have no choice but just advertise HP and forget the cylinder count.
Yeah, I get why the manufacturers are so fond of turbo-4s, but I'm so over it. For the way I drive, a NA V-6 engine would get perfectly decent fuel economy (I'm not a lead foot) and would be much nicer (from a NVH perspective) than a turbo-4. The turbo-4 in my current car isn't really any more economical than the V6 in my previous car and is... agricultural in quality. I feel like a base Stinger should get a NA V6 (I know, it's not going to happen).
Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Raconteur

If the Stinger is to sell, the base needs a V6 and a cheap V8 option would make the metal move despite what the resident snobs think.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If the Stinger is to sell, the base needs a V6 and a cheap V8 option would make the metal move despite what the resident snobs think.
not sure why you have to resort to name calling whenever you have no facts to substantiate what you say. please stop ruining every thread with your bitterness which has gotten a bit out of control lately. you think a v8 is necessary for a sales success, others think it's irrelevant. move on.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
not sure why you have to resort to name calling whenever you have no facts to substantiate what you say. please stop ruining every thread with your bitterness which has gotten a bit out of control lately. you think a v8 is necessary for a sales success, others think it's irrelevant. move on.
Thank you for that wake up call. Henceforth, I will mirror your upbeat tone.