Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Print Automotive Magazines

What is your pick? I have come to dislike most myself.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
What is your pick? I have come to dislike most myself.
Autoweek and Car and Driver
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Administrator

When I was a kid I got seven car mags per month. Now I get zero. There's just no point really; I got sick of "news" that was a month or more old. Speaking purely with regard to the big American car rags, I'd prefer R&T, although it sounds like they're basically killing it off, now.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
When I was a kid I got seven car mags per month. Now I get zero. There's just no point really; I got sick of "news" that was a month or more old. Speaking purely with regard to the big American car rags, I'd prefer R&T, although it sounds like they're basically killing it off, now.
I would agree. The auto magazines have NOT been successful in coming up with something that can't be done faster and better on the internet.

Road and Track has always been a stuffy magazine and I'm not sure that tone resonates with readers half my age. Heck I find it a bore to read. God love Peter Egan, but I'm tired of the same homage being written to the Jaguar E Type over and over.

When Car and Driver did a regime change a few years ago and brought back the late David E. Davis and the truly terrible writing of PJ O'Rourke, C&D stumbled into a malaise it has not been able to come out of. C&D is guilty of doing car comparisons where they take stats and write about them but not actually do any in-car time. The 2013 car issues were especially terrible this year. They always are, but a new low was hit.

I'd love to see monthly columns by the likes of Brenda Priddy and Chris Doane and their tales from their professional lives. I'd also like to see more articles on car styling. Seeing how a production car's styling progressed from inception to production can be fascinating. The early ideas for the 05 Mustang were scary bland. I'm sure the Camaro was equally difficult.

But even with new ideas for print, I think print is dead.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

When it comes to US magazines, Car and Driver's still good, and I always enjoy Automobile. Their design analyses are probably the best part. I don't subscribe to anything right now though I think I had up to 3 subs at one point.

CAR is my overall favorite though. Great graphic design, gorgeous photography and lots of interesting articles that aren't posted online. I keep meaning to get a subscription but it's over $100 since I'm not in the UK...

I also like Top Gear magazine, and EVO, though they tend to have a greater emphasis on sports cars and I like reading about regular cars just as much.