Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I believe that we should be seeing much more of the Cadillac XTS very soon, for it's set to premiere. Looking forward to seeing more photos, and finding out more of the specs.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Crazy Composer!

Looks fantastic to me, I don't know what everyone else is talking about.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
how about the age group that currently buys/drives the DTS?! :: is it really that hard for you to understand that there is a market for this vehicle, regardless of whether or not YOU would buy it over the Germans? there are still a lot of older people in this country who will only buy American. I'm not saying that's correct, but my point is it would make ZERO sense for Cadillac to abandon the customers that have bought their products for decades.
You’re not getting how a brand works. People buy into the image, not just a single model. It’s why people buy 911’s instead of GT-Rs. Instead, you seem to think of each model separately, which is a great way to lead Cadillac back to bankruptcy. While Cadillac is chasing the “loyal” octogenarians and limo drivers, they should be targeting the buyers who want to move up from the CTS (Cadillac’s best selling sedan by a landslide) to something bigger....those customers should be pleasantly surprised when the allure of a luxury sports car is replaced by the world’s most comfortable moving couch. This is Cadillac, NOT BUICK. Each sub-brand should have its own identity, or you end up with American automakers pre-2008. If Lexus had a brand in between itself and Toyota, that’s where the ES would go. Just like not every 5 series is an M5, not every top end Cadillac has to be strictly a racecar, and they would therefore not be abondoning those lingering loyalists of the Cadillac couch.

Last edited by IcedG35; 11-16-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
You’re not getting how a brand works. People buy into the image, not just a single model. It’s why people buy 911’s instead of GT-Rs. Instead, you seem to think of each model separately, which is a great way to lead Cadillac back to bankruptcy. While Cadillac is chasing the “loyal” octogenarians and limo drivers, they should be targeting the buyers who want to move up from the CTS (Cadillac’s best selling sedan by a landslide) to something bigger....those customers should be pleasantly surprised when the allure of a luxury sports car is replaced by the world’s most comfortable moving couch. This is Cadillac, NOT BUICK. Each sub-brand should have its own identity, or you end up with American automakers pre-2008. If Lexus had a brand in between itself and Toyota, that’s where the ES would go. Just like not every 5 series is an M5, not every top end Cadillac has to be strictly a racecar, and they would therefore not be abondoning those lingering loyalists of the Cadillac couch.
Thank you so much for the lesson. Your statement shows just how off the mark you are. "People buy 911's instead of GT-Rs." Correct...and people buy/bought DTS's and DeVilles instead of other large sedans. What do YOU think is the historical and common image of Cadillac? Surely not a sporty brand. Cadillac's own slogan makes the same statement: "We don't just make cars, we make Cadillacs." Most people when asked to picture a Cadillac aren't thinking of a CTS-V, thus the "image" you're proposing they buy into is something more like the XTS than anything else. You can call the Caddy loyalists whatever you want, but you still have not given any reasoning as to why Cadillac should suddenly marginalize the "octogenarians and limo drivers" who will likely buy this vehicle whether you like it or not.

So many people in this thread are getting so upset at this vehicle when they fail to realize THIS IS A STOPGAP MODEL. Cadillac will be targeting buyers who want to move up from the CTS, but they can't do it overnight. The next CTS will be growing in size to accommodate those buyers, the ATS is coming, as well as an eventual flagship that will replace the XTS...all of which are an indication that Caddy has a plan to make the changes you dream about over the next decade. Cry and stomp around as much as you want, but this vehicle will sell whether or not your skewed view of the typical Cadillac-buyer is among the buyers.

Last edited by pjl35; 11-16-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
...So many people in this thread are getting so upset at this vehicle when they fail to realize THIS IS A STOPGAP MODEL....
Indeed! There is no reason why Cadillac couldn't have an FWD and RWD large sedan. Let's not forget that Audi has successfully bamboozled people into forgetting their models are essentially FWD platforms. A Cadillac Sixteen above this would be a delight.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Indeed! There is no reason why Cadillac couldn't have an FWD and RWD large sedan. Let's not forget that Audi has successfully bamboozled people into forgetting their models are essentially FWD platforms. A Cadillac Sixteen above this would be a delight.
Exactly, but what I don't get is that GM has buick and Cadillac, why mix the brands especially when GM has had 5 years to make a flagship on the zeta platform.

SHould be expecting a rekskinned XTS as a buick flagship soon?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Well, given that Audi has great FWD tradition (they were FWD since the 1930ies, so among the very pioniers), and at least in Europe the resulting image as "good winter cars" I'd say they are a special case.

Otherwise, I think generally RWD is lately linked to premium, so replacing the RWD STS with this seems a straneg move, sespecially as this Epsillon PF is used under way less prestigious cars as well (Audi's have dedicated PFs not shared with Volkswagen - except the small hatchbacks). And then we have not yet started that the smaller models (ATS, CTS) have dedicated RWD chasis whilst this is basically a blown up Malibu/Insignia...

Surely the XTS is a decent car, just as said before, much moree a Buick than a modern Cadillac.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

more pics:

http://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/17...lac-xts-bekend

Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
Exactly, but what I don't get is that GM has buick and Cadillac, why mix the brands especially when GM has had 5 years to make a flagship on the zeta platform.

SHould be expecting a rekskinned XTS as a buick flagship soon?
It makes a lot of sense in the short run. Cadillac needs a large sedan, more than Buick does at the moment. GM is busy redefining Buick and being successful at it. Let's imagine the next CTS which will be enlarged and then flanked by the smaller ATS and a large RWD sedan. At that point this platform could do to Buick which would be ready for the larger sedan than the Lacrosse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well, given that Audi has great FWD tradition (they were FWD since the 1930ies, so among the very pioniers), and at least in Europe the resulting image as "good winter cars" I'd say they are a special case.

Otherwise, I think generally RWD is lately linked to premium, so replacing the RWD STS with this seems a straneg move...
Nevertheless, Audis are FWD platforms regardless of any imagined history of the marque. GM has the capacity to engineer an Audi-level platform. By the way, the STS is dead and buried. While it was here it was unloved and that translated into dismal sales. This is replacing the DTS.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

How come no photos of the rear end?

MAKE
MINE
FORD