Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Default 2012/13 Maserati Ghibli (baby Quattroporte)

Maserati's Baby Quattroporte mule

well not much to see, so looking forward to more pics.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I have a feeling that this could be based upon an LX platform sourced from Chrysler (or a shortened Quattroporte platform, who knows at this point), and be about 195-197" in length overall (between the Gran-Sport and the Quattroporte), to separate it enough from the Quattroporte, which is due soon for a new-generation.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM

According to some very reliable sources Maserati has been given the funds to develop new engines (with support of Ferrari) and a new rwd/4wd matrix which will spawn a total of six new models (Baby Quattroporte, Baby GranTurismo, Baby GranCabrio, Quattroporte successor, GranTurismo successor and GranCabrio successor). No Chrysler links guaranteed.

In addition there will be a Maserati SAV loosely based on the new Jeep Cherokee.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
According to some very reliable sources Maserati has been given the funds to develop new engines (with support of Ferrari) and a new rwd/4wd matrix which will spawn a total of six new models (Baby Quattroporte, Baby GranTurismo, Baby GranCabrio, Quattroporte successor, GranTurismo successor and GranCabrio successor). No Chrysler links guaranteed.

In addition there will be a Maserati SAV loosely based on the new Jeep Cherokee.
I can agree with that, and several reports surfaced during the course of this week, stating that the upcoming Maserati SUV will receive all-new engines, developed with Ferrari, and I would imagine that these powerplants would find their way into the new range of sedans and GT-coupes and convertibles.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post

Any chance this "baby" Maserati using a V6, and so, one of the engines being developed with Ferrari could be a V6, or would they get it from the "gringos"
Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Raconteur

With luck it's a new platform that could be used to engineer a new 300/Charger/Challenger trio.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I hope the rumours are true. A new platform is needed. Using the LX architecture would be a very DUMB move.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
With luck it's a new platform that could be used to engineer a new 300/Charger/Challenger trio.
And hopefully a new Alfa Romeo 16x!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1 View Post
I hope the rumours are true. A new platform is needed. Using the LX architecture would be a very DUMB move.
Not dumb at all. The LX is a competent platform so in the short run it would be an expedient move. The problem is that it needs to be replaced with one that has hybrid potential designed in for instance. Designing a versatile RWD platform for such diverse products as a V6 Charger to a rootin' tootin' Maserati would be an example of Fiat really getting into the game. I'd love to see the Chrysler 300 remain in the formal luxury mode, the Charger continue the muscle sedan role, but have an Alfa Romeo in the same price band as a swoopy coupesedan.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Using a Chrysler platform for a Maserati is a sacrilege for me. I know there used to be Citroen made Maserati's as well in late '70s but as a fan of the Italian brand I wouldn't see an LX based model as a good addition to the line-up.