Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
So now that the Wagoneer is going to go antiquated with a BOF construction, I fear this will be a Ram "Expedition" with Jeep styling.

I was horrified by a report I saw that Sergio is thinking of using the Giorgio platform for the next Jeep Grand Cherokee. That would be utterly horrific given the Giorgio's odd gestation. Jeep would be better off to up-cycle the Mercedes platform used by the current Grand Cherokee and replace the dreadfully ugly Cherokee with the Giorgio-based SUV is that has to happen.
What is wrong with BOF? BMW i3 and i8 are BOF, so for most trucks, off-road vehicles, racing cars etc.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What is wrong with BOF? BMW i3 and i8 are BOF, so for most trucks, off-road vehicles, racing cars etc.
BMW i cars are most certainly not BOF cars, they use a carbon fiber monocoque frame, like a racing car. There only body panels are attached to a skeleton if you like, but the actual body is stressed/supportive, unlike BOF,, where a whole body is attached to a ladder frame, which is also stressed and supporting the whole suspension/engine, thus enabling basically infinite body styles attached to them....

BOF/ladder frame are trucks, some SUVs, the venerable Ford Panther cars and a classic Morgan Roadster in the not so distant past.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What is wrong with BOF?...
Given the price point this is to play at, a BOF vehicle will tend to be less refined. Vehicles like the Q7 and Range Rover are unibodies and both are targets for the Wagoneer.

I think we're getting a "pickup" instead.

"All-new" American pickups are rarely all new. The "all new" F150 was largely all-new in the move from steel to aluminum for the body the chassis was carryover.

An "all-new" Ram is coming, but because the Ram is pretty good for a pickup as is, there really is no need to start from scratch.

My fear is that when they create the FCA "Suburban" and call it a Jeep Wagoneer that the pickup underpinnings will be as readily apparent as they are on the Escalade.

Saying that the Jeep Grand Cherokee can't be stretched is BS because the Dodge Durango is precisely that.

Killing the current Durango and letting it re-emerge as a Jeep and then reskinning the Pacifica for a large crossover for Dodge or Chrysler would have been a better move.

It's looks like we're getting a Ram, with a wagon body bolted on that has a Jeep grille.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Given the price point this is to play at, a BOF vehicle will tend to be less refined. Vehicles like the Q7 and Range Rover are unibodies and both are targets for the Wagoneer.
There are sources claiming Sergio actually wants to target more the Escalade/Yukon Denali/etc. folks, and that they realized the initially speculated 140k for a car derived Grand Wagoneer might actually be a bit too steep for the Jeep brand (for now). Given it's Sergio, he probably actually said that yesterday, but he might have again changed his mind by the time i type these lines....
Old 01-13-2017, 03:22 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
There are sources claiming Sergio actually wants to target more the Escalade/Yukon Denali/etc. folks, and that they realized the initially speculated 140k for a car derived Grand Wagoneer might actually be a bit too steep for the Jeep brand (for now). Given it's Sergio, he probably actually said that yesterday, but he might have again changed his mind by the time i type these lines....
$100K is too steep for this. $75K is too steep for this.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
$100K is too steep for this. $75K is too steep for this.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up priced Dollar for Dollar against a GMC Yukon at lower end and Cadillac Escalade at the higher end. What segment do they cover typically, price wise (not counting some super expensive rare top trims)?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up priced Dollar for Dollar against a GMC Yukon at lower end and Cadillac Escalade at the higher end. What segment do they cover typically, price wise (not counting some super expensive rare top trims)?
Pricing it at a $45K base with a $65K top end would work. I think we're getting an FCA Tahoe because FCA does not have the money to engineer a real platform having wasted so many years making "all new" versions of the 300.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisine View Post
Grand Commander?

Rumor is that the North Korean version will be called "Supreme" Commander
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

cuisine: THIS IS NOT the Grand Wagoneer...shouldn't even be in this thread.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Raconteur

The thread police has spoken!
This appears to be the Jeep Yuntu...which would be a brilliant product for the USA.