Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
The scoring system was implemented with the intention of keeping the contests as competitive as possible. Allowing one entry to get the entire ten points means said entry could run away with the contest and other entries may not have a chance.
No one said competition was fair or pretty and I am not intending to disrespect the rules that the moderators have set in place. The forced "you must pick 4" is more about protecting people's feelings in my opinion because is forces an unnatural constraint. The nature of true competition is that it is cut throat. If someone hits a home run they deserve to spank the competition.

I don't have the talent to compete, but if I did have the talent, I would want to win big or lose big. Perhaps I'm old and crusty enough to demand honesty even if it ain't pretty. If I win big, I can assess my design and try to figure out the essence of what I did to be successful. If I lose big, I can see how I missed the target. If I'm the winner in a "competition" where there is a forced voting constraint I have no measure of how much better I was than the runner up.

I want to add parenthetically that the Porsche competition--for me--ironically had 3-4 good designs that resonated with me that I would have voted for anyway. However, I would have been peeved to have seen one amazing design and the rest be awkward and know that the most I could award to one design was 7 points.

Just thinking out loud and NOT whining.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Protecting people's feelings is one way of putting it. Reining in egos is another. Or simply trying in some way to level the playing field when competitors are of such vastly differing abilities. In any event, I realize that in the big, bad real world competition is unrestrained and cutthroat, but we're here to have fun and to learn. I personally think there is plenty of room for honesty in this system (and accountability, when people take the time to explain their votes), and frankly I think that this so-called "forced constraint" has done nothing to hinder the improvement of the entrants. Every contest the entries seem to get better and better; I don't think changing the voting system will force people to try any harder than they clearly already are, and I don't think that a higher margin of victory or defeat will force people to analyze the respective successes or failures in their designs more than they already do.

If, to a certain competitor, winning means winning by "x" amount of points, then they're really missing the purpose of the exercise to begin with, IMO.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 AM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

In response to this discussion, may I offer my 2pence (2cents for you 2 DoM and Swizzle)

The current 10 points among 4 entrants is a fair method. This time however there were about 6 entries that I wanted to give points to and I felt bad for leaving out the 2 that I did. But I guess that it encourages you to really think and evaluate each entry.

One day I would hope to win a contest. I don't think that day will come. I think i've got better, but i'm still no where near competitive. I still think that too much emphasis is placed on presentation, and I hope that DoMiNo's idea of a quick draw contest eventually happens.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Protecting people's feelings is one way of putting it. Reining in egos is another. Or simply trying in some way to level the playing field when competitors are of such vastly differing abilities.
Ding, dong, dingo!

To be honest I IGNORE the appearance of the entry (i.e. sketches to full-color renderings I see equally) because I am focusing entirely on the "feel" of the design. I assumed that the vastly different abilities had to be accounted for by focusing instead on the intent of the artist. What vision did the person bring? I do not focus on how well it was brought. The first look at the Audi TT was supposedly drawn on a paper napkin. It was still brilliant.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Theoretically that should be the way everyone votes.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Raconteur

If anything, my personal bias is in favor of sketches because they feel more human, personal, and immediate. Photoshops can in fact be impressive, but they seem sterile, impersonal, and divorced from reality. Therefore, I endeavor not to be anti-Photoshop. My bias is probably that of someone who grew into computers as opposed to growing up with them.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS

I'd like to bounce off a couple of ideas I have in mind for the contests and would love to hear how you guys feel about them before implementing any changes.

Design Contests:

I think it will be a huge benefit to everyone participating if there were a stickied thread in the general design forum for posting your contest development sketches. Just to get some general feedback before submitting your final entry. With the contests running for 10 days, we could utilize a couple of days for concepts & ideation and the rest for final presentation and voting. (as always, extensions will be granted on a case by case basis)

Design Battles:

So instead of two designers randomly challenging each other, what if the participants were chosen from the #2 & #3 runners up from the general design contest. The battles would take place during the voting period of the regular contests just to keep a steady flow of action in here.

Leaderboard:

There's already one for the design battles how about having another for the general contests.
Whoever accrues the most points by the end of the year will essentially be the CSS Design Champion!

Thats all I can think of for now but its all up to you guys, so let me know what you think and please don't hesitate to offer up your own suggestions if you have any.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I think the contest development sketches thread is a fantastic idea. I'd be great to get some crit before submitting your final entry. The second and third ideas, I'm not so sure about.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Raconteur

I like all three proposals.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 PM
GOD made man 2 mak LAMBOS

I like the first and third ideas and hope that they are implemented asap.
I am not completely against it but i don't like the second idea, my reason being that if it's implemented only a few people will be battling all the time. It's not like all of us get a chance to be #2 and #3. Some of us get few votes due to lack of skill or talent or whatever and won't be able to reach such positions anytime soon.

I have one little suggestion to offer, which can be seen in my quote below. I had said this earlier in the 'Design Battleground - Discussion thread' made by Dom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboMan View Post
Leave it as it is.
But Dom there is one thing you could do to make things a bit clearer. Have everyone who wishes to be challenged and take part PM you and then you can make a list of the people who are willing to participate and post it on the first page of the battle thread, so that we all know who wants to battle and then the winner/challenger can easily choose from that list. Also, the challenger will get to know who's waiting to be challenged.

More importantly it will also help in making sure that everyone who wants to take part eventually does get challenged and not only a few people all the time. Of course i am not pointing towards anything thats happening now but something that could happen in the future. That way everyone who wants to take part gets a chance.