Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up The Automotive Design "HELP" Thread

Hey guys --

A big part of the 'Automotive Design' section is obviously posting your work for peer criticism to help you improve. There is a lot of talent on this forum that we can and should use to our advantage, and an objective opinion can be a huge help in advancing your technique. Per member request, I've created this thread as a way to seek and provide honest, constructive feedback from your fellow CSS designers on your works in progress.

This should be a beneficial and (above all) respectful place for members to request critique each other's work. Please also use this thread for any miscellaneous design-related questions: about materials, specific sketching or rendering techniques, tutorials, portfolio/school/career advice, etc. But please remember that in order to fully function, this thread requires a collective contribution, and commitments from each of us to help as much and as often as we can. I hope this can be a helpful resource for us all. Best of luck!!

p.s. I know some of you may find this redundant; for overall feedback and especially for brand/styling related questions, you may obviously post your own threads; don't want to step on anyone's toes in that regard. But for specifically technique-related questions and feedback, I hope this can function as a good reference.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

This thread is specifically for technique based critique as well as use of materials. Members who would like critique for specific sketches and or renderings and would like to have technique based responses. This thread is in no way designed to put down nor discriminate against anyone. There is a huge range of skill in CSS design and in order for the site to move forward and improve, our designers must also do so. By creating this thread, designers will have a chance to learn from more experienced designers and put good use to these inputs. Having these sketches underlaid, the submitted sketches can have corrections made to them directly. In most threads, this process is done only through words. In many cases, these inputs cannot be seen as words do not necessarily point out the exact mistake. Pointing out these mistakes will greatly enhance everyone's ability to be ever greater in the long run.

Last edited by ClunBB9; 02-12-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Alright so what we have here is a great way to ask for improvement from people who either go to school for this, or do it as a profession.

That means me, DoMiNo, ClunB99, and lot's of others here to give you idea's, and help anytime you need it.

If you're looking for privacy, you can PM any one of us and ask us the question, but we prefer you'd post the question here, so that others may learn from your question as well.

Good idea DoM, and we'll all take action to help anyone who needs it.

Regards,

Steve.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM

Great thread! I'll post a question as soon as I can come up with a description of my question... if you know what I mean... It's about shadows/shading
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Just let us know and we'll try to help with your questions. In the meantime, I am working on something for MRFdesign. The sketch you had with the R4, I am going to do some quick perspective lines for you to point out just a few things so that in the future you could use it as a reference on anything else.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

I need a lot of help!

My main issue is Markers.

I bought what I think are 'Magic markers'. What's magic about them? I got a silver one, a black one and a 'blender'.

I've tried using them, didn't go well. Couldn't really figure out how to blend with the blender.

I've given up with them. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong.. or the best technique?

I'll post up some of my attempts later.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Alright so let's start off with the most obvious thing...

You bought "Magic" Markers.

Not Artistic Markers.

The ones you bought are childish, and they tend to overlap and make the paper soggy quite easily. Artistic markers overlap ONLY after drying, and they will never make the page soggy.

If you want cheap, yet reliable markers, go for Crayola watercolor markers. However you will need paper that is of thicker value to go with them.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for help again,

Steve.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neill View Post
Alright so let's start off with the most obvious thing...

You bought "Magic" Markers.

Not Artistic Markers.

The ones you bought are childish, and they tend to overlap and make the paper soggy quite easily. Artistic markers overlap ONLY after drying, and they will never make the page soggy.

If you want cheap, yet reliable markers, go for Crayola watercolor markers. However you will need paper that is of thicker value to go with them.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for help again,

Steve.
Cheers for the info! I'll check out my local artists store.

Later on when i'm back from work i'll also tell you the type of my 'magic' markers!

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
CSS Veteran

pro
look for prisma color markers and get a range of cool (or warm) grays, and get a solid black

shoot for 80%,60%,40%,20% cool grays...

DON'T BUY ANY COLOR MARKERS...you need to learn to use gray markers first
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedandGlorious View Post
pro
look for prisma color markers and get a range of cool (or warm) grays, and get a solid black

shoot for 80%,60%,40%,20% cool grays...

DON'T BUY ANY COLOR MARKERS...you need to learn to use gray markers first
Cheers! Will do. I my check ebay in a min.

So is it best to draw the different shaded lines up to each other, and blend or to leave a bit of a gap to blend them? Hope that sentence made sense.. it did in my brain, but doesn't seem to make sense in words!

^^^CLICK the link^^^