Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2020 Genesis G80

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/20...new-spy-shots/

The next G80 testing, and we can already see the nowadays fashionable fastback (but not a hatchback) shape;

The shape does look a bit like a mix between a Lexus LS and an AUdi A7, but generally not bad, even though I think that if a car looks like a hatchback, it should be one.

Anyway, it seems it will have quite a huge grille, and something weird going on with the head lights, and also rather large tail lights.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM
CSS Veteran

The thing going on w/ the headlights is that Genesis is apparently making good on its promise (I assumed it was more of a threat) to bring the concept SUV's headlights to its production cars. Not a good look, IMHO.

Otherwise, I think the basic shape is nice. I don't mind it remaining a notchback (generally better structural rigidity and noise isolation, no?).

Curiously (but not surprisingly), it is more reminiscent of the Audi Prologue than is... any Audi. Ouch.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Otherwise, I think the basic shape is nice. I don't mind it remaining a notchback (generally better structural rigidity and noise isolation, no?).
I think nowadays the difference is not here anymore, at least with proper engineering; At least I can#t tell the difference between an Audi A7 and a regular A6 sedan when driving, and neither in the smaller segments; It's a bit of a different story with wagons and SUVs, as an empty large load bay (and usually open load bay, as few people close the dividers) do make for a bit more echo from the rear when empty, but again you have to listen to hear that. I doubt 99% of users will be able to tell teh differences in NVH and rigidity with nowadays super rigid body structures and well carpeted load areas anyway. Especially not those who like to put super wide negligible side wall tires on their car that rumble anyway...

But yes, it might end up looking "better Audi" than regular AUdis, just as discussed in an other thread yesterday ;)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:28 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
But yes, it might end up looking "better Audi" than regular AUdis, just as discussed in an other thread yesterday ;)
I know, but it seemed topical to this car, and I just couldn't help myself.

Regarding thin sidewalls.... I cannot tell you how annoyed I am at how gigantic wheels have gotten (at least in the US). Why does a Honda Accord or a Mazda 6 need 19" wheels (particularly in the case of the Mazda, b/c the obj roadhandling data is relatively poor)??? Why does a Buick need 20" wheels. Or a Volvo, for that matter. Argh. But now I'm going off topic....
Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Raconteur

Excellent shape and stance.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Excellent shape and stance.
Whilst I fully agree, weren't you saying "People want a sedan shape" in the Accord thread about these fastback sedans?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Whilst I fully agree, weren't you saying "People want a sedan shape" in the Accord thread about these fastback sedans?
Apples to oranges reasoning.'

The mainstream sedan market in the USA has a lot of older buyers that are comfortable with certain form factors i.e. the three-box sedan. The Camry even now still maintains the three-box signature and it easily wins the sedan wars.

In the premium wars, flash is much more important.

The problem for Genesis is that the brand is too staid. A lot was promised for the G70 and it came out utterly dull and boring looking.

If that is their strategy, then they need to build in much more performance. The G80 starts at $41K, but it really should start at $37K or offer much more performance at $41K.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The problem for Genesis is that the brand is too staid. A lot was promised for the G70 and it came out utterly dull and boring looking..
I think the main problem is that Genesis as a brand has no real USP yet; The classic European (German and British) brands aside, Lexus managed to find their niche with ultimate refinement, unrivaled reliability and, later, a certain Hybrid competence (again building on refinement over Diesel competition in Europe); Alfa Romeo is still strongly remembered as the passion brand, even if the lineup was lacking for long, and their new models deliver, in that respect at least, without compromise.

Hyundai needs to decide whether they want Genesis as a sports premium brand like BMW, or Alfa is trying to become again, or go for Mercedes and Lexus with luxury; So far, it seems undecided, and their probably most recognized premium car globally so far is a Kia, namely the Stinger (when it really should have been a Genesis Audi sportback fighter), which doesn't help either.

Decide that, and align the design language (so far none of the sedans have any kind of own identity, unlike Hyundai themselves or Kia); The G70 IMO doesn't look bad at all, likely their best looking car, but again, a mix of Mercedes, Infinity, ALfa Romeo and others, and with no visual link to the larger models.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Raconteur

Hyundai hasn't caught on to how Lexus did it. The LS400 was virtually as good as the S Class of the day, but it was priced like a mid-sized Mercedes. Thus the G90 should be the Genesis that has a base in the $40K range and the G80 should be below $40K. Lexus also delivered better quality as demonstrated by infinitely superior durability and reliability. Given that Genesis cars are Hyundais, they probably have better reliability than the Germans.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
USP
UPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle
The LS400 was virtually as good as the S Class of the day, but it was priced like a mid-sized Mercedes.
Not quite. I very clearly remember the introduction of the original LS and the stir that it caused bc of the pricing (being a teen at the time will that for you). The original LS400, IIRC, had an MSRP of ~$35000-37000. The 300E had a base price of $47000; the 190E was ~$34000.

MB has historically given huge discounts off of MSRP (you could easily knock of $10000 off the MSRP for a 300E; the 190E could be had for under $30000 w/ a lot of haggling); I don't recall that being the case w/ the LS, so the actual transaction price were probably closer. Still, on paper, it looked like you were getting something close to an Mercedes SE (I think MB SELs were significantly longer) for only a little more than a COMPACT Mercedes.

The LS was also arguably better equipped (did any manufacturer pay the same level of attention to factory sound systems back then?) and more powerful than the 560. It was certainly more quiet.

Of course, one presumes that Toyota (and the Japanese government???) was heavily subsidizing the cost of the LS b/c MB tried to cut its prices and ended up simply cutting quality. And the rapidly escalating of the LS since then would also imply that Toyota couldn't really make much of a profit off of the original price (IMHO).