There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road
Default The French are coming!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...arket-re-entry

PSA Peugeot CitroŽn boss Carlos Tavares has given the biggest indication yet that the firm is set to relaunch in America after refusing to answer questions on the subject at an event today, saying instead that he will provide clarity when he unveils his firm's plans for the next six years next Tuesday.

The plan, dubbed 'Push to Pass' in a nod to the boost button on racing cars that unleashes their full potential, will outline the PSA Group's strategy until 2022, and will cover plans for the Citroen, DS and Peugeot brands. It is thought that the upmarket DS brand will lead the firm's relaunch in the USA, because its qualities as the only upmarket French car maker give it an opportunity to stand out in a market dominated by premium German brands.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Wonder if they will push into Canada as well? Hatches sell slightly better there so perhaps/
Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 PM
CSS Veteran

Swallow Doretti is on a distinguished road

I got into this argument elsewhere, but what do they currently make that meets US tastes? Citroen's only crossover is the Cactus, which lacks AWD--or a suitable engine/transmission combination for this market. The 2008 suffers from the same issues.

For either brand (or DS) to even hope to make a dent in this market, they're going to need an all-new platform for an all-new line of vehicles with a new-to-PSA automatic transmission hooked up to a new gasoline (or gas hybrid) engine family. And that's before they move ahead with building a dealer and distribution network from scratch.

I mean, good luck to them, but the last time it was done was by Kia in 1994.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Wonder if they will push into Canada as well? Hatches sell slightly better there so perhaps/
I think that will be a non brainer once the cars are federalized, especially given the French community in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
I got into this argument elsewhere, but what do they currently make that meets US tastes? Citroen's only crossover is the Cactus, which lacks AWD--or a suitable engine/transmission combination for this market. The 2008 suffers from the same issues.
This is what they offer in Europe. Also, the engine line up seems hardly suitable here.

But. DS is much bigger in China, and they have way more cars on offer there. Also larger cross overs, and sedans, both suiting American tastes more than their comparably small hatchback and MPV/cross over heavy European line up. probably exporting form China would also make more sense. IMO there is a reason, why they indicate the DS brand to return...
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
...what do they currently make that meets US tastes?...
Nothing.

When Peugeot was sold here it was not considered even remotely the equal of Mercedes. If anything it was seen at Volvo's level (i.e. near premium), but they they also had a reputation for a lack of quality--not as bad as Alfa Romeo--but pretty dismal. Volvo--and at the time SAAB--won because they had quality.

Bold prediction: The next brand to set up shop and make it in NA will be Geely followed probably by SAIC/Nanjing.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road

Geeky is already in in the Volvo...kinda sorta, but I've. Been saying for years that China will enter the US market.

Just didn't expect it to happen with Buick.

As for Peugeot and Citroen, they don't have power plants or quality to survive. My only basis for that is 800 miles in. Citroen C4 Grand Picasso at the end of last year.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

drugmirko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Nothing.

When Peugeot was sold here it was not considered even remotely the equal of Mercedes. If anything it was seen at Volvo's level (i.e. near premium), but they they also had a reputation for a lack of quality--not as bad as Alfa Romeo--but pretty dismal. Volvo--and at the time SAAB--won because they had quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
As for Peugeot and Citroen, they don't have power plants or quality to survive. My only basis for that is 800 miles in. Citroen C4 Grand Picasso at the end of last year.
well... I believe we can agree that how it was 25&more years ago, can not be relevant for today, because things change with each generation of vehicles! besides that, compared to what I can see&touch of American cars currently sold in my part of the Europe, I wouldn't worry too much about build quality of PSA models... nor about their reliability. both are as good as at their mainstream competition, and for my taste, above build quality of US cars sold here (no offence meant by that)... so if Volkswagen "satisfies" what NA customer expects, than Citroen, Pug and DS are "satisfactory" too... cause they are "on par" with VW, if not slightly better.

their main problem was very "delicately" summarized by swizzle .... except for their cargo van lineup and arguably one or two Chinese market DS models, they don't have a model that would meet US taste! they don't have large SUV's ,they don't produce Pick-up's, they don't have "27 l" gasoline V8 engines, nor hybrid or plug-in EV and they have only one automatic gearbox (Aisin 6 grs.)...
but all this might change in next few years. as we can see in rumors and on spyshots Pug's 3008/5008/7008 medium and large SUV's are in development, so supposedly are their gasoline hybrid&EV power trains and I just heard of them talking with Toyota to produce their own Pick up based on Toyota Hilux... so, the time Will tell! but it won't be "over night", that's for sure!
Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM

62Lincoln is on a distinguished road

They should have at least as much success here as Alfa Romeo.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
They should have at least as much success here as Alfa Romeo.
And how has that gone so far?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Raconteur

[quote=drugmirko;478112]well... I believe we can agree that how it was 25&more years ago, can not be relevant for today, because things change with each generation of vehicles! besides that, compared to what I can see&touch of American cars currently sold in my part of the Europe, I wouldn't worry too much about build quality of PSA models.../QUOTE]

Typical Eurocentric, apologist response. The acid test for PSA is whether they can get to Toyota/Honda/Hyundai-Kia levels of quality, reliability, and durability. The answer to that is no. PSA's only hope of survival is China and possibly suckers who will buy their product in the USA because in Europe they are a part of the production excess along with Renault, Fiat, and Opel. They aren't winning the game.