Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Exclamation What can we do better?

Hey all --

Per MOORHOUSE's thread in the PS Contest section, I figured I would pose a similar question re: the Automotive Design Contests for this year.

What would you like to see? What would make the contests more interesting, exciting, and competitive? New Topics? Simultaneous contests? Let's hear your thoughts!

For example, I was considering--in addition to the normal, more long-term contests--a sort of "quick draw contest", wherein a topic would be chosen and there would be a voting showdown between the first two people to post entries. I think this would speed up the contests, would provide quick and constantly-changing alternatives for those not as interested in the topic of the larger contest, and would hopefully build a fun sense of momentum in the Contests section. And perhaps the best part is that, in order to be considered, the entries would have to be quick; good ideas would be crucial.

But that's just one of many possibilities that I think could make the Design Contests more exciting. I know you guys have some ideas, so throw 'em out there!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

i like your idea; it would definitely encourage competition...and i could use the quick-sketching practice.

otherwise i can't think of much things to do better...personally i think the voters tend to place way too much emphasis on presentation instead of ideas and the basic competence of the design, but there's not really anything to do about that...

one topic i'd like to see would be a chrysler sebring redesign. not too creative i suppose, but god knows half the people here would love to see that horrid affront to car enthusiasts put out of its misery.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
one topic i'd like to see would be a chrysler sebring redesign. not too creative i suppose, but god knows half the people here would love to see that horrid affront to car enthusiasts put out of its misery.
It was your idea for the Sebring redesign that prompted me to do my Sebring design

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 AM
CSS Veteran

Simultaneous contests

i vote for this...

"i like idea for a long term contest and a short term contest...
personally i think the voters tend to place way too much emphasis on presentation instead of ideas and the basic competence of the design, but there's not really anything to do about that..."

this bothers me too. people seem to vote off of presentations instead of design....
Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Administrator

I think the quick-draw contests would address that concern, because it will literally be a race to be the first two entries, thus necessitating the need to prioritize concept and design over an elaborate presentation.

Of course if it is that much of a concern we can also stipulate in each main contest what level the participants are able to take their designs (i.e. "This contest pencil only", "markers allowed", etc.). Though I'm personally not in favor of limiting participants' tools of expression, as I believe it's this that really forces people to bring their "A game", so to speak, and raises the general level of effort in the contests, thereby helping others improve.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Like the ideas so far guys.

I too have noticed that votes tend to be given for presentation. I've probably been guilty of voting like that myself. In the latest competition I tried to avoid that, I mean Quattros entry wasn't the best drawn but I could see his idea was a good one and I could also see he put a lot of effort into it.

The 'Quick draw' Contest sounds great. However I have one concern, whoever chooses the subject for the quick draw may have the advantage... They could already have drawn their proposal before they open the contest. How would we avoid this? I suppose if an outside figure were to decide on the contest for us maybe?

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Good point.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:38 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Perhaps if one of the admins who don't mind not participating could come up with the ideas for the quick draw. I know Ascariss has talent with photoshopping, but I don't recall Andre, Santeno, or Clinton ever particapating in an auto design contest... but then i am relatively new to this site so i could be completely wrong!

It's a good idea though, and i've love to get involved in a quick draw contest... as long as their was fair play and no-one getting head start.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 01-06-2008, 05:50 AM

I have yet to participate in one of the contests here, but am eager to try sometime soon.. so the 'quick-draw' contest idea sounds great to me! It seems like whenever I visit the contest thread, it is either at the very end of submissions, during or after voting. So having shorter contests more often might bring in those of us who tend to visit CSS.. ahem.. less consistently. :)

My only suggestion would be to limit the contest to the first three submissions instead of two.. for more variety and opportunity to see three possible solutions to the design dilemma at hand, not just two.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Administrator

I'm not against expanding the number of entries; my main concern is the timing. If we got two entries very quickly but had to wait days for someone to enter a third then it would kind of negate the point of having a "quick" draw contest in the first place.

Conversely, if three or four people were to get in entries before a mod had the chance to close the contest, I see no reason why those couldn't be considered.

Really, though,I think limiting it to just two will move it along much quicker.