Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Default The Unfinishables

So, inspired by 2o6's Aviva sketchdump, I thought I'd post a few old sketches, just to have something to contribute, haha. They're pretty bad; I guess it's no wonder I never got around to finishing any of them. A lot of my drawings are packed; these are from a small stack I found in my desk drawer and some are older than others.

Here's a concept for the Megera Spyder that I never got around to rendering. I kinda liked this one.

This was a poorly-proportioned attempt at a contest entry for the Ferrari Enzo contest a while back. As you can see, I wasn't exactly thrilled by the wheels, haha.

Here's an idea from my stillborn Pegaso revival. I based this off of a doodle in my class notes and it didn't translate well at all into a larger drawing, haha. Hopefully I will have the time at some point soon to re-explore the Pegaso idea.

An anonymous and oddly stretched looking concept for a Quimera sports car. This is one of the many ideas for the car that eventually became the Hiperion.

An idea for the rear view of the Alcotan; this actually preceded the front view, haha.

Some weird electric Quimera rally-dune buggy thing.

A doodle of a Mitsubishi....uh, well I guess this is some sort of race car? I don't even know.

Here's a Quimera which you can probably tell i was a little confused about...I couldn't decide whether to make it a coupe (which is how it began), a sedan, or a coupe-sedan. Eventually, I just gave up. I don't remember when I did this, frankly, but judging by the BMW-ish face I' say it was around the time I did the Alcotan.

Anyway, just a few of the ideas that never got past the sketching stage. Let's see some other designers' sketches! Again, credit to 2o6 for the attempt to pump a little bit of life into the design section again.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm impressed by how finished they all look, honestly. The vast majority of my design development is made up of little doodles on the edges of class notes and the like, and even then it's usually only parts of a car, like the face or part of the flanks. Like today for example I came up with an idea for an SV100 facelift I liked, and all it was was basically a sketch from the front wheels forward.

I think I'll post some of my idea sketches too, although compared to your stuff they'll be pretty rough!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS

Some of these are looking pretty finished to me, Great stuff Dom!

I'd like to hi-jack this thread and sticky it, so that other designers can share their “unfinishables”
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to knihc2008

Uh yeah these all rock, Dom. Haha

JC
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM
CSS Veteran

I have a fair few, funny how an imaginary company can have stillborn projects... My Lokar v16 super saloon came about in 1997, re emerged in 1999/2000 and again in 2002, never did anythign with it

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I'm impressed by how finished they all look, honestly. The vast majority of my design development is made up of little doodles on the edges of class notes and the like, and even then it's usually only parts of a car, like the face or part of the flanks. Like today for example I came up with an idea for an SV100 facelift I liked, and all it was was basically a sketch from the front wheels forward.

I think I'll post some of my idea sketches too, although compared to your stuff they'll be pretty rough!
Oh trust me, I do plenty of rough detail sketches too. As I alluded with regard to the Pegaso sketch, a substantial portion of my ideas derive from little doodles in the margins of my class notes; unfortunately, I'm not handwriting my notes for any classes this semester--maybe that's another reason for my lack of inspiration Unless there's an element I'm particularly enamored with, though, I typically end up throwing those idea sketches away. Otherwise I'd have a truly unmanageable amount of paper to keep up with, haha. These are all drawings (save perhaps the Mitsu and the Quimera rally concept) that I intended at some point to finish, and just never did. So they all take up the better portion of an 8.5x11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS View Post
Some of these are looking pretty finished to me, Great stuff Dom!

I'd like to hi-jack this thread and sticky it, so that other designers can share their “unfinishables”
Thanks AXIS! No problem, although we did have the "Sketchbook thread," though that doesn't see much activity anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knihc2008 View Post
Uh yeah these all rock, Dom. Haha
Thanks knihc! You wouldn't believe how self-conscious I am about posting my unfinished or rejected sketches. Again, I think it speaks to how over time I've come to value finished renders at the expense of the process; I actually think that my line quality and shading abilities have actually deteriorated since I've started relying on Photoshop. You'll notice that none of these are really shaded; all intended to eventually be rendered.

All that said, having taken a second look at some of these, there are a couple I don't really think are beyond saving. Anyone have any thoughts as to which of these could be worth finishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I have a fair few, funny how an imaginary company can have stillborn projects... My Lokar v16 super saloon came about in 1997, re emerged in 1999/2000 and again in 2002, never did anythign with it
Yeah, far more Quimeras have never gotten past the idea stage than have made it onto paper. I still maintain a Word document with a "wish list" of sorts describing the projects I'd eventually want to create for Quimera--both new models and variants of existing models. I'm sure most of them will never come to fruition, but hopefully I'll be able to tackle a few.

In light of my increased time commitments, I may revert to debuting models as sketches instead of renders; I love the finality of a colored render, but it's just too much of a time sink for me these days.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to knihc2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post

All that said, having taken a second look at some of these, there are a couple I don't really think are beyond saving. Anyone have any thoughts as to which of these could be worth finishing?
They're all fantastic, but the Megera really caught my eye

JC
Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 AM

these look great! Wow, your unfinishables look 1000x better than my finished ones!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knihc2008 View Post
They're all fantastic, but the Megera really caught my eye
Yeah, that was kind of my thinking as well. It's a necessary model, too. There are some things I might change, but I might just consider it a model addition, without all the fanfare of an introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiR8 View Post
these look great! Wow, your unfinishables look 1000x better than my finished ones!
Thank you R8 :beer:

Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM

It's been sooo long since I've seen any of your drawings. I really missed that. That Magera Spyder is 'DA BOMB! And the rest are super creative.
Now I feel very inspired.