Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
CSS Veteran

Why place the "door mirror screens" in these places anyway? What's the point? Why not show it in front of the driver? Such an anachronism.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
Why place the "door mirror screens" in these places anyway? What's the point? Why not show it in front of the driver? Such an anachronism.
If anywhere (I still strongly believe it is an answer to a question nobody asked), the solution found in teh new Mercedes Actross (if the indicator is set, the side appears in the central instrument) makes more sense, however given the rate of indicator usage among premium drivers probably again makes it useless. But altogether, both tacked on screens or low down in the door trim (Audi) give me zero advantage over a regular door mirror...
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
My guess is because that is where 100% of drivers will automatically expect them to be.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:29 PM
CSS Veteran

They expect them there because there placement was a necessity until now.
There would be no progress without changing conventions.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Changes like these happen gradually. First drivers need to get used to screens instead of mirrors. I imagine location changes will happen later on, if at all. Also it's probably much easier to have this setup than wire things oddly so that they're in front of the driver, given that this is just an option.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Changes like these happen gradually. First drivers need to get used to screens instead of mirrors. I imagine location changes will happen later on, if at all. Also it's probably much easier to have this setup than wire things oddly so that they're in front of the driver, given that this is just an option.
Agreed.

It's sort of like blind-sport monitoring. Why does it need to be in the mirror or the mirror housing (b/c you're technically supposed to look at the mirror?)? If I have to turn my head to look at it (which I do sometimes, depending on the exact location of the indicator), I might as well just keep turning my head to check the blind spot myself. And if it's stop/go traffic, some systems de-activate below a certain speed.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Agreed.

It's sort of like blind-sport monitoring. Why does it need to be in the mirror or the mirror housing (b/c you're technically supposed to look at the mirror?)? If I have to turn my head to look at it (which I do sometimes, depending on the exact location of the indicator), I might as well just keep turning my head to check the blind spot myself. And if it's stop/go traffic, some systems de-activate below a certain speed.
you should always check the blind spot regardless.

and obviously it is on the side because you are going to be looking at that side if you are turning.

You are not going to be looking straight if you are turning left, it is not just the rearview mirror, you are looking at ahead and sides, not just at rear... this is why rearview mirrors are placed there.

Looking between your steering wheel or at nav screen while doing any kind of lane change makes no sense, you are taking your eyes away from road.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolfx View Post
you should always check the blind spot regardless.
Yes, you should, but people often don't. Blind spot monitoring (in fact, many advanced safety systems) wouldn't really be necessary if all drivers did what they should do (including other drivers politely allowing someone else to cut in when they've had their turn signal for awhile). I think the systems that make an audible noise or vibrate the wheel when you activate the turn signal while a car is in your blind spot are more useful than the blinking symbol itself.

In heavily congested traffic, it's sometimes difficult to check the blind spot right b/f changing lines b/c traffic in front of you can stop rapidly and w/o much warning (and hence the need for automated emergency braking.... People should look face front when they drive in a straight line, but apparently auto manfacturers thought people needed help w/ that.... And for good reason).

At any rate, to bring this back on topic, it'll be interesting to see how the tech evolves in the next few yrs.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1149870.html
Old 10-25-2018, 12:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I still seem to miss the added benefit vs. added complexity and potential for things to go wrong with these electric mirrors...