currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1 View Post
The jury is still out.
Agreed. It does not advance the styling one bit and is pre L-Finesse or whatever silly name they are calling their design language these days. It's bulbous where the others are sharp edged.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 AM
CSS Oldtimer

This thing looks less and less like an SUV with each generation.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Raconteur

It's as adrift stylistically as the Toyota Venza. It's almost as if one group of designers does the RWD Lexi and another does the FWD models (the Camry people?).
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Yep, I can't believe the GS and ES wear the same badge.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Yeah they must have two different groups of designers. My guess is that the RX and ES are designed in the US at Toyota's Calty Design Studio where they design US. Toyotas whereas the rest of the range (excluding LX maybe) are designed in Europe or Japan (along with with US. Designers).

If not and they are designed at the same place by the same team, then i have no idea whats going one.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

well, GS is pretty old now. I won't be surprised if next GS will go the same direction as RX and LX.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:00 AM
CSS Veteran

if you check those real life pics, and compare them to GS, you will see that RX is heavily influenced by GS - complete belt line is obvious refference to GS
Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
True..yet in this case all the customer cares about is the Lexus/Toyota badge which is not like saying they design cars to appeal to people. If this carried a KIA or Fiat badge it would be doomed
as if life is that simple... if it was, then GS would be class leader because it wears Lexus badge. RX sells well because it has what people want... and GS doesnt because it doesnt, while both have the same badge... :-).
Old 11-06-2008, 04:06 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio14 View Post
Yeah they must have two different groups of designers. My guess is that the RX and ES are designed in the US at Toyota's Calty Design Studio where they design US. Toyotas whereas the rest of the range (excluding LX maybe) are designed in Europe or Japan (along with with US. Designers).

If not and they are designed at the same place by the same team, then i have no idea whats going one.
the way it works is toyota studios around the world are invited to send their contenders for the project and the "best" one wins the design... If the product is built for specific market then local studio is more likely to get the job... but RX for instance is best seller for Lexus around the world so it is worldwide thing.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolfx View Post
the way it works is toyota studios around the world are invited to send their contenders for the project and the "best" one wins the design... If the product is built for specific market then local studio is more likely to get the job... but RX for instance is best seller for Lexus around the world so it is worldwide thing.
Ah right, makes sense. I wonder how this was the best design. There would have to have been better ones. Im sure someone would have designed something more closer to the LF concept. Why would have tease us with such design then bring out something that looks nuthing alike and more like the previous RX. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that yeah some manufactures might evolve a design for one generation but not two. Unless they are classic designs (Mustang, MX5). There has never been anything great about the original generation (that i know of). It was as it the design brief was to keep the RX looking the same however give it a more modern/muscular look.

The characteristic of this design makes me believe the designer came from Japan or US as the design as a mixture of design from cars that are sold in those markets.
Closed Thread