Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Raconteur

Default Fusion or Passat

Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, they cost the same. I like both. Having a helluva time deciding which to lease.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to wildeye

Fusion EcoBoost 2.0L AWD.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'd go with the Fusion, it just has more flair than the VW. It also probably handles better and (IMO) is finished to a slightly higher standard.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
CSS Veteran

How logn do you have to decide?
Are you able to approach VW and Ford dealerships to get a 24hr (or longer) test drive on both?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to wildeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
Are you able to approach VW and Ford dealerships to get a 24hr (or longer) test drive on both?
24h test drive? Wooah. Renting is the way to go where I live if considering this.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Crazy Composer!

The Passat is probably a safer in choice in terms of longevity. But I'd go with the Fusion personally.

It has a bit more technology and it's got better design language inside and out. Very striking machine!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeye View Post
Fusion EcoBoost 2.0L AWD.
I'm not remotely interested in AWD. The 2.0T is a great engine, but only available on the most expensive Fusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I'd go with the Fusion, it just has more flair than the VW. It also probably handles better and (IMO) is finished to a slightly higher standard.
Handling is dead equal. The build quality on both is excellent, but the Passat's interior feels like higher quality. What keeps me from going with the Passat is my previous experience with VWs (always something wrong...always getting serviced). Granted it would be under warranty the entire time of the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I know people WELL at both dealers that would let me have them for a weekend. I've had both on my own for a couple of hours and it pretty much comes down to two personalities. The Fusion has more "flash" and the Passat has more "tradition" and in the end it will come down to a win win. The Ford lease is slightly better. Say it costs $25K they want $2500 down, $250 a month, 24 months, 10.5K miles per year (which is fine). The Passat is $2000 down, $300 a month, 36 months, 12K miles per year. If I bump the Fusion to 12K miles and 36 months, the payment climbs to $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
The Passat is probably a safer in choice in terms of longevity. But I'd go with the Fusion personally.

It has a bit more technology and it's got better design language inside and out. Very striking machine!
VWs--and I've owned eight--always had a LOT go wrong and wear out prematurely the nanosecond the warranty ended, so that's why I will never buy one ever again...leasing is different because I can walk away when a VW usually starts being dealer friendly. They are great cars, but durability/reliabilty/quality has always been shockingly bad, but the vibe on the new Passat is that some of the demons have been sent packing.

My daughter likes the Fusion.

PS Thanks all
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Fusion. If it's a 2.5L Passat, I would run away screaming. The 1.6T or even the 2.0T Fusion would be way better.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

:cry:What not the Honda Accord?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I know people WELL at both dealers that would let me have them for a weekend. I've had both on my own for a couple of hours and it pretty much comes down to two personalities. The Fusion has more "flash" and the Passat has more "tradition" and in the end it will come down to a win win. The Ford lease is slightly better. Say it costs $25K they want $2500 down, $250 a month, 24 months, 10.5K miles per year (which is fine). The Passat is $2000 down, $300 a month, 36 months, 12K miles per year. If I bump the Fusion to 12K miles and 36 months, the payment climbs to $300.
Is it possible to play them off against each other, maybe one of them is willing to go that bit further than the other and that'd make the choice simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
VWs--and I've owned eight--always had a LOT go wrong and wear out prematurely the nanosecond the warranty ended, so that's why I will never buy one ever again...leasing is different because I can walk away when a VW usually starts being dealer friendly. They are great cars, but durability/reliabilty/quality has always been shockingly bad, but the vibe on the new Passat is that some of the demons have been sent packing.

My daughter likes the Fusion.

PS Thanks all
I have only ever owned one Ford and one VW and the Ford was more reliable by a long long way, but then again I don't have a good track record with German cars, so far only one out of five has been of acceptable quality.
But neither of these Fords or VW were recent cars for I doubt my experience has much relationship to current standings. As you say though, any problems will be within warranty (though understand problems are still not a desirable factor)