Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
AM2K

Default Land Rover to unify it's design language

Quote »
A major design review instigated by Land Rover design director Gerry McGovern has concluded that rather than distancing the two brands, they should in fact be pulled closer together.

Sources say that extensive market research has revealed that some customers are confused by the two brand names, assuming that two different companies produce the vehicles.

Scrapped: Premium Sophistication and Premium Adventure

A year ago Autocar revealed Land Rovers plans to spear off in two different styling directions.

Premium Adventure was the buzz-phrase for Land Rovers new design language, which would explore the Smart-style exposed safety cage body style. Premium Sophistication was the buzz-phrase for Range Rover vehicles, the ultimate in refined, progressive and powerful design.

However, as Land Rover enters its last few weeks under Ford ownership, McGovern says that the company is now working towards a cohesive design language for the whole range.

We want Land Rover to have the equity of Range Rover. We dont want them to be separate, but therell be a clear personality difference between Land Rover and Range Rover.

The companys upcoming concept car  due to be unveiled at Januarys Detroit show  will be the first evidence of Land Rovers new design direction.

Source: http://www.autocarmag.com/News...29389/

Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

And Tata's opinion is?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

PRODIGY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY
Default Re: (mzoltarp)

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
And Tata's opinion is?

to rename all the Land Rovers starting with the Discovery. It'll now be known as the 'Gurkha'...

...seriously though Mzoltarp, I can't see Tata making drastic decissions just yet. I think they'll have a say ofcourse in future products, but i'm hoping they let us get on with the styling as we're doing an ok job in that department.

^^^CLICK the link^^^
Old 12-01-2007, 03:29 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Excuse me but am i missing something here? How much more cohesive can LR's design get when all of their car's seem to share similar fronts and rear ends as well as the trademark boxy styling? Trying to link the Range Rover line with Land Rover does make sense since even my dad was wondering if they are the different brands but that doesn't have to do with their design, just the gigantic RANGE ROVER logo on the car's front and rear in contrast with the tiny Land Rover one

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Another important question is whether or not the JLR folks are staying or if they are jumping to Ford.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I'm mostly interested to know if Ian Callum is

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (CosworthKid)

They need to kidnap him for Ford NA. If he can capture the retro design features of classic Aston Martins and translate that to a modern context that is in no way retro, I'd kill to see him do a Mustang, a new Thunderbird, a Fairlane...with that same mindset.

Obviously, Jaguar may allow him more opportunity to steer the marque to solvency as he has arguably begun to do with the XF, but there is something to be said for bringing the same level of genius and brilliance to the masses as well as it being a true test of his intellect.

I think it would be cool if he were given a shot at the latter.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
They need to kidnap him for Ford NA. .

I agree Although as i said earlier i would absolutely love to see his work his magic on Lincoln

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Agreed with the caveat that Lincoln not be based on pedestrian Fords. It would be interesting to take Lincoln RWD and have Mercury do more mainstream variants of those RWD platforms while letting Ford team with Mazda and Volvo on FWD/AWD products.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (AM2K)

Well then i guess it's all up to Ford. I mean they definitely know how to hire great talent for their European makes and seem to pay them well enough to do the job so why not do the same for the NA division. Of course i might be wrong, perhaps the talent behind their American brands is good but they don't have the "OK" or financing to do what they want.

Anyways, indeed Ian needs to finish the job he started but perhaps after he is done he might be up to a greater challenge

MAKE
MINE
FORD