Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 AM
CSS Veteran

zwei Biere bitte is on a distinguished road
Default New MacBook: iWork or MS Office?

Hey, so for college I'm going to be getting a MacBook, but my mom is ordering one for herself soon. Since I'll be using her MacBook for the remainder of high school and then getting my own in August, it is imperative that I have some productivity software for presentations and word documents, so all I really care about is Pages and Keynote (iWork) and Word and Powerpoint (MS Office). To a lesser degree, Numbers/Excel probably have some importance to me...

The main thing going for iWork is that it is about 1/2 the price of Office. However, I have zero experience with iWork and I've been using MS Office on my Dell for the past 5 years, go the learning factor for iWork could be an issue, although I am willing to learn to use iWork if needed. Also, since very few people are able to run iWork (AKA Mac users), are things made in iWork compatible with MS Office and vice-versa?

Any suggestions from user of either? I've read reviews of both iWork and MS Office, and all reviews are very mixed to say the least, so I'm definitely having a hard time deciding what to get...

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

against the wall is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to against the wall

im not one to talk but i would play it safe and go with office since you have experience with it. you wouldnt want to risk a big college project because you couldnt work a program correctly, right?

No - against the wall
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Nondescript Member

anonms is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to anonms

iWork can export into .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats and it can read those formats (as well as the new XML-based versions of those formats).

I have both. If I have something that requires flashy and pretty, I use iWork. For everything else, I use Office.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Best computing combo on the planet? Mac + Office. Ironically Microsoft pulls out all the stops for the Mac with its Office software. Also download Firefox as your browser. Safari is NOTORIOUS for working incorrectly.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

as others have said, the new office really is great.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

i dislike Microsoft with every fiber of my body:p...so too biased to answer, but personally although i do use a windows based computer at the moment i am upgrading soon (i hope) to my very first iMac and when i do i will use Apple product, i don/t think i would be tempted to use Office at all
Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Nondescript Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Best computing combo on the planet? Mac + Office. Ironically Microsoft pulls out all the stops for the Mac with its Office software. Also download Firefox as your browser. Safari is NOTORIOUS for working incorrectly.
Firefox for Mac is also notoriously unstable and I have much less problems with Safari than I do with Firefox. However, not every website if compatible with Safari, so I just use Firefox as a backup (although Camino is superior over Firefox, but I didn't feel like installing yet another browser since CS3 installed Opera).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
i dislike Microsoft with every fiber of my body:p...so too biased to answer, but personally although i do use a windows based computer at the moment i am upgrading soon (i hope) to my very first iMac and when i do i will use Apple product, i don/t think i would be tempted to use Office at all
I dislike Microsoft, too, but honestly, the only thing good Microsoft is ever capable of making is Office for Mac. iWork has some limitations that can get somewhat frustrating.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 AM

emotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
iWork can export into .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats and it can read those formats (as well as the new XML-based versions of those formats).

I have both. If I have something that requires flashy and pretty, I use iWork. For everything else, I use Office.
me too. i have MS Office 2004 and iWork 08 and for school design and tech projects i use iWork and i make it all fancy then make it into a pdf and the teacher usually gives me top marks... hehehe for english, history and all the other stuff that only need words, i just use MS office.

i doubt that learning iWork will be a problem but if you dont want to risk it, go for MS office.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
Firefox for Mac is also notoriously unstable and I have much less problems with Safari than I do with Firefox. ....
Interesting. For me Safari is glitch central and Firefox is totally stable and faster.

The reality is that Office is the gold standard like it or not.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Nondescript Member

Yeah, I can't imagine going without Office.

Which Safari on which OS are you running? I'm running Safari 3 on 10.5.1 and most of the bugs from the Safari 3 beta were sorted out.