currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

ClunBB9 is on a distinguished road
Default Bertone BAT11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardesignnews View Post
For the first time in over 50 years, Bertone sadly did not have a stand at this year's Geneva Show, largely due to the severe financial difficulties facing the company. However, that didn't stop them making a surprise debut at the first AutoDesignNight last night in Geneva with the amazing BAT 11 concept, commissioned by American enthusiast Gary Kaberle who owned the original 1955 BAT 9 car. The car was exclusively unveiled before an audience of 400 of the world's top designers at an evening reception at La Sip nightclub in the heart of the city.

Based on a modified Alfa Romeo 8C platform, the BAT 11 continues some of the distinguishing elements of the original 'Berlinetta Aerodynamica Tecnica' cars designed by Franco Scaglione and developed by Nuccio Bertone. These include the tapered fins and faired wheels, all in a context where soft proportions are combined with strong, robust lines. The monolithic form has a simple dihedral bodyside section with fins that seem to have been designed as a shawl that wraps around the car beginning from the front fender and extending to the top of the side windows toward the rear.

The front end is strongly tapered to a V-shape with a neat Alfa Romeo shield low down in the lean-forward nose. The V-shaped form continues into the wraparound windshield and continues at the rear, with a center fin butting up to the tapering rear window and a pair of open air extraction slots behind the rear wheels. The vast bat wings cant over at nearly 45 degrees towards the back, with the rear edge housing a pair of thin LED taillamps. The 21-inch wheels feature a double layer of twisted spokes, the outer ones made in carbon fiber that, according to interior and wheel designer Gwen Pennarun, are a contemporary update of the original Borrani wire wheels.

Last edited by ClunBB9; 03-07-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

If it had a foot to 18 inches more wheelbase, the lines might be better resolved. The old BATs are quite captivating, but this one looks chunky,
Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

I think it looks great! Though it kinda saddens me cause i thought that by the year 2008 we would get such wacky designs in production cars
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Horizon is on a distinguished road

That's riveting.
I really like it.
I said a few bad things about Bertone on another thread (mainly due to the company being stuck in a time rut when it comes to draw cars), well this is still a look at the past but at least it's not their usual nostalgic 80's/return to the future kind of cars.

If Citroens were as crazy and deranged-looking as they once were, this should have been their upcoming C5 coupe. ( i believe they collaborated a few times together).