Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

I really wish they would incorporate some clues from the 993, my favourite 911 and the pinnacle of its evolution, in my opinion. Loose that humpback rear, for example (which is even more prominent on the convertible), make the rear more perky... and shorten the front a little.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM

BMW MFreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neill View Post
This is fugly.

Time to do something new Porsche.

How about a 700.

Or some weird name like that.

DO SOMETHING NEW!
You remember what happened when Porsche started to release itself from the 911 during the 80ies and wnated it to be replaced by more modern constructions? Sales decreased and the 924 -944-968-models and also the 928 where so unsuccessful and their development to expensive that Porsche nearly got ruined.

The 911 will continue as it is, there will never be a replacement.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

the1 is on a distinguished road

The 911 will problably continue as it is for quite some time, but they should think about launching a more revolutionary looking coupe, perhaps a front-engined GT in not too distant future.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW MFreak View Post
You remember what happened when Porsche started to release itself from the 911 during the 80ies and wnated it to be replaced by more modern constructions? Sales decreased and the 924 -944-968-models and also the 928 where so unsuccessful and their development to expensive that Porsche nearly got ruined.
The 928 was shunned as a 911 replacement and deservedly so because it was ugly and insanely expensive. Let's not mention nagging reliability/durability issues. Why they used the AMC Pacer as their design muse is beyond me. The 924 that preceded the 928 came to market overpriced and underpowered, but not an expensive platform in that it was planned for VW/Audi. When they revamped it into the 944 they hit pay dirt because the styling was right, the power right, and the price was sane. The 944 did not require a lot of development money. The 944 was an unqualified success. It was one of several yuppie cars that was a must have. The 968 was a stupid overhaul of the 944 in every conceivable way. What hurt Porsche the most in that era was their belief that they could retreat upmarket, so they gouged the prices of their vehicles--vehicles that were ALL long it tooth--and then hatched the idea of having regional Porsche centers and yanking dealerships away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1 View Post
The 911 will problably continue as it is for quite some time, but they should think about launching a more revolutionary looking coupe, perhaps a front-engined GT in not too distant future.
They will never get rid of their superbeetle, BUT it's time for a 944 replacement in or below the Boxster price range and a new design language for their non 911 vehicles.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Andrus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

They will never get rid of their superbeetle, BUT it's time for a 944 replacement in or below the Boxster price range and a new design language for their non 911 vehicles.
Pretty sure that Porsche will also be using VW BlueSport Concept to launch something below Boxster.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrus View Post
Pretty sure that Porsche will also be using VW BlueSport Concept to launch something below Boxster.
A redundant mid-engined thing? Hurl. Maybe they should REPLACE the Boxster and Caiman with a "Porsche" Blue Sport and a true 944 successor.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
A redundant mid-engined thing? Hurl. Maybe they should REPLACE the Boxster and Caiman with a "Porsche" Blue Sport and a true 944 successor.
I think there would be a market for both the Boxster / Cayman, a 944 successor (approx. 3-Series in size), a Blue Sport based roadster, and perhaps even a luxury GT in the wake of the 928 (aimed at the 6-Series, CL). Heck, that everything with a Porsche badge slapped on sells like hotcakes. And extra kudos if the Blue Sport would be able to chase an Elise around the track, but that's just wishful thinking on my side.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

all with wannabe 911 styling cues...HURL

Porsche is so yesterthink.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
CSS Veteran

I'm just going to through my idea right out here. I think the biggest problem that Porsche has with their design language is the fact that they never developed an unique... grill. BMW has their kidneys, Audi has their shield (only recently, though), Alfa Romeo has their triangle, Mercedes has theirs with an unique pattern, Aston Martin has their puckered lip... heck, even Ferrari has one. Porsche, instead, has to rely too heavily on their body shape and front to make their cars instantly recognizable. Now they're stuck in a rut.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM

TBR 427 is on a distinguished road

^I'm not sure what you're talking about with a Ferrari signiture grill. For that matter, I'm still trying to find some family resemblance between a 599 and a 430; taillights headlights openings pillars, everything is different. And then there's the 612...