There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Pontiac to get more Holden models, ute version to be named G8 ST

November30

Despite the high value of the Australian dollar, General Motors will reportedly sell a re-badged version of the Holden VE Commodore Ute and wagon in the U.S. GM is already planning to import 50,000 Holden VE Commodore Sedans  which will be sold here as the Pontiac G8  but other model were in doubt due to an unfavorable exchange rate.

In a recent interview, General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz indicated that the Australian Ute could still make it to our shores, although probably not in the form of a revived Chevrolet El Camino.

"A ute is a distinct possibility, if we do the Uteit could be the most enthusiast-positive decision to bring back the El Camino. But, you look at its lineup and Chevy has too many vehicles. Now GMC, we could see that. You look at Pontiac, in the form of a power open bed wagon, sureas a performance centered, sports-ute," Lutz said.

The decision to import the Australian-built vehicles was made to give Pontiac a new family of performance rear-wheel drive vehicles, boosting the brand's image as GM performance division. The new wagon will give Pontiac an entrant into the sport wagon segment which is currently dominated by smaller wagons, such as the Audi A3. Dodge recently announced that it would discontinue its large sport wagon, the Magnum.

The new Pontiac Ute  which will be named the G8 ST for "Sport Truck"  will only be available with a 6.1L V8 and will sticker for about $31,000.

Barring the continued devaluation of the U.S. dollar  the Australian dollar has jumped from $.79 on the U.S. dollar in August to its current level of $.90  both the wagon and ute derivatives of the Commodore will make it to our shores.

source: leftlanenews

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

Pontiac had a version of the El Camino with a Catalina nose back in 1959.

Gimme a G8 V8 station wagon.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (mzoltarp)

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »

Gimme a G8 V8 station wagon.

On it's way

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pontiac to get more Holden models, ute version to be named G8 ST (CosworthKid)

I don't know if this is a good decision. Few pickup buyers will touch this, and there maybe only a few SUV/CUV owners making the transition...Price it at 20K maybe, but at 30K, even with the strong V8, I fear little customers with this "crossover".

Let's just hope this isn't a replay of the SSR or Baja.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: Pontiac to get more Holden models, ute version to be named G8 ST (knicks125)

But their decision to offer it as a performance variant only would make this a niche and more of a to boost Pontiac's sporty image so i don't think GM is very concerned with how many units it will sell with the Ute. I think the Estate will be a far greater seller

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-01-2007, 06:19 PM
CSS Veteran

rv65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pontiac to get more Holden models, ute version to be named G8 ST (CosworthKid)

This car could make an excellent ElCammino.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road

I feel this is below a niche, however. I wonder what is its target demographic and how many will there be? The overall cost to import might not be much but you'd bet GM wants this variant to do well, image boost or not. After all, just like every for-profit business, GM is in this to make $$$.

I too, believe the wagon will sell far better than the ute when they come to the market, despite the unpopularity of the wagon in the first place (look no further to its closest ex-competitor Magnum - which is being killed due to lackluster sales, among other reasons).

If Pontiac is to be viewed as the sporty division, then I think GM should insert high performance throughout the lineup, G5 and Vibe comes to mind as the missing void - Chevy's getting them in the small fun car line (Cobalt, HHR). I see far more success.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (mzoltarp)

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
Pontiac had a version of the El Camino with a Catalina nose back in 1959.

The Pontiac El Catalina...

They say only two were known to be built, but others made pickup conversions from regular Pontiac Catalinas.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

That's it! I've actually see a few with the Catalina nose on an ElCamino, but I remember seeing an "El Catalina" (Fresa will have a cow over the name because it should have been La Catalina but I digress) years ago and thinking it was cool. I do find it amusing that the Holden Ute is coming given that then as now it will be a niche vehicle.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (AM2)

Guys what's up with the posts? Whenever i try to reply to a post it has this HUGE image of what appears to be a stretched, wrecked Lada Samara limo with the words : "this image was stolen from worldcarfans.com"
Is it a virus?

As for that El Catalina it looks freaky and hilarious but i love it!

MAKE
MINE
FORD